Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Becker/BMW Indianapolis meets Indianapolis Pro

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Jo3y25: Hopefully the problem is with the EEPROM and not damage to board or surrounding components. Desolder it again and see if you can still read and program it. If yes, maybe the EEPROM was not positioned correctly, maybe you damaged a trace or pad, or... the head unit never worked in the first place (sadly you don't know that for sure but the symptoms you have seem to point at the EEPROM).

If the desoldered EEPROM cannot be read, just replace it with another. Luckily the 24C64 EEPROM is cheap and readily available (for example Conrad.fr).

My Cars
    SLK 320 R170
    revtor: THANK YOU !!! Haha, I just changed to another EEPROM and here it is:

IMG_20170212_131244.jpg

I will look after the "old" EEPROM to see if I can read it again so I will be able to know if it was a blown or a bad soldered chip...
    Now I will work on the GPS to see if I can manage to update it (last update available is 2012).....

EDIT: I could read again the old EEPROM, so I guess I have not properly soldered the first time ... even if I thought I have well checked the connections. I will test it in the car but it seems pretty good for now.
    Last edited by Jo3y25; 02-12-2017 at 07:54 AM.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Jo3y25: Great job! I'm glad you fixed it!

By the way, where did you get 2012 maps? The latest version that I know of is V7 which uses map data from 2008 (link).

Newer map data would certainly be welcome!

My Cars
    SLK 320 R170
    Sorry, yes, v7.0 is the latest version and it's from 2009 not 2012.
    But I fond something about German people who managed to update radar's map in a file with the extension *.LWD
    Here is the link (they also give 2 programs to convert LWD to CSV and CSV to LWD)

http://forum.pocketnavigation.de/for...ls/page-5.html

And it's just one part of the problem since roads are not updated in this file I think. I am just at the beginning of this work so I will try to find more info.
    Last edited by Jo3y25; 02-12-2017 at 02:17 PM.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Great team-work!
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    I have a Traffic Pro (red display) in the box ready to use, but as many, the knobs are a little sticky. Where is a good source for new knobs? Can it be programed to say what we want?
    Last edited by rogbmw; 02-13-2017 at 08:37 AM.
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
    I have a Traffic Pro (red display) in the box ready to use, but as many, the knobs are a little sticky. Where is a good source for new knobs?
    In the US you may want to inquire with Becker Auto Sound LLC (parts@beckerautosound.com) although I'm not sure they carry parts for products that were never sold in the US.

Also, what would be the possibility of having it read something like this:

BMW
    E31

or something else. Can it be programed to say what we want?
    If you can fit it in a 197x30 pixels black-and-white image, yes, it can be programmed.

Please note that reprogramming the startup logo requires an EEPROM programmer and good soldering skills.

My Cars
    '95 E36 320i Coupe
    Hi guys! I've few questions:
    If I have non-colored ford unit (becker traffic pro), to change it to bmw orange should i replace the leds or only add orange filter or sth like that?
    Is it possible to change logo on traffic pro? If yes, how do you connect eeprom to pc? Thanks!
    E36 320i diamantschwarz rocking on 16" Style 32's. German version.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    duckling: If you want any other color than currently provided by the backlight, your only option is replacing all LEDs... Some versions of the BE47xx and BE78xx Becker Traffic Pro have a dual-color backlight which can be toggled in the user menu (press and hold the Sound button for 2 seconds, then select "Col") but the choice is only red or yellow.

The logo of the BE47xx and BE78xx Becker Traffic Pro cannot be changed at the moment. At least not through the EEPROM as is the case with the Indianapolis, DTM, Monza,... Whereas these head units have a fairly large 24C64 EEPROM, the Traffic Pro has only a 24C04 EEPROM which simply is too small to hold the logo. The logo is most likely somewhere in the firmware but that's unknown territory. I don't know anything about the new(er) BE794x Traffic Pro but it's in a completely different family and does not seem to share much with the older versions.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840Ci, 1985 Fer

Becker/BMW Indianapolis meets Indianapolis Pro

Personally, I'm fine with a Becker logo on boot-up on an Indianapolis Pro. I would want to reverse it though, to yellow/orange on black. How ugly is the Pro wiring harness, getting it into the E 31?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Matthew M.
    North Carolina, USA
    1997 840Ci | 2001 740iL | 1985 308GTSi Quattrovalvole

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    BobieM: The wiring harness is the same as for any other third party head unit. You'll need an adapter from ISO to the old BMW radio connector with 17 round pins (the newer radio connector, not compatible with out cars, has 16 flat pins).

Here's what the adapter should look like. The wires marked with an asterisk (*) are optional. They do not need to be connected for a working setup (and are often not present in ready-bought adapters), but may be useful/required for certain functionality (explanation below).

Code:
    ISO ---  Name            ---  BMW

A1  ---  GAL             ---  10 (*1)
    A2  ---  Mute            ---   4 (*2)
    A3  ---  Reverse         --- n/a (*3)
    A4  ---  Permanent +12V  ---   9
    A5  ---  Remote power    ---  16
    A6  ---  Illumination    ---  13 (*4)
    A7  ---  Ignition +12V   ---   5
    A8  ---  Ground          ---  15
    B1  ---  RR speaker +    ---   6
    B2  ---  RR speaker -    ---  14
    B3  ---  RF speaker +    ---   2
    B4  ---  RF speaker -    ---  11
    B5  ---  LF speaker +    ---   1
    B6  ---  LF speaker -    ---   8
    B7  ---  LR speaker +    ---   3
    B8  ---  LR speaker -    ---  12
    Remarks:

*1: Optional. The speed signal is used for speed dependent volume control (GAL) and on some navigation units for tracking when no GPS reception is available (ie tunnel).
    *2: Optional. The mute signal for the in-car telephone system (if installed).
    *3: Optional. The reverse / back-up signal. Only required for certain navigation units. The E31 radio harness does not provide this signal. If you want it, you must run a wire from a location where the reverse signal is available (see ETM diagrams of your car).
    *4: Optional. Some head units have a day and night mode or have the ability to dim with the instrument lights dimmer.

Pin 7 and 17 of the BMW plug are not used.

PS: Keep in mind that the Indianapolis series were targeted at Europe. There are limitations/issues when using it in the USA (link).

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840Ci, 1985 Fer
    Quote Originally Posted by revtor View Post
    BobieM: The wiring harness is the same as for any other third party head unit. You'll need an adapter from ISO to the old BMW radio connector with 17 round pins (the newer radio connector, not compatible with out cars, has 16 flat pins).

Here's what the adapter should look like. The wires marked with an asterisk (*) are optional. They do not need to be connected for a working setup (and are often not present in ready-bought adapters), but may be useful/required for certain functionality (explanation below).

Code:
    ISO ---  Name            ---  BMW

A1  ---  GAL             ---  10 (*1)
    A2  ---  Mute            ---   4 (*2)
    A3  ---  Reverse         --- n/a (*3)
    A4  ---  Permanent +12V  ---   9
    A5  ---  Remote power    ---  16
    A6  ---  Illumination    ---  13 (*4)
    A7  ---  Ignition +12V   ---   5
    A8  ---  Ground          ---  15
    B1  ---  RR speaker +    ---   6
    B2  ---  RR speaker -    ---  14
    B3  ---  RF speaker +    ---   2
    B4  ---  RF speaker -    ---  11
    B5  ---  LF speaker +    ---   1
    B6  ---  LF speaker -    ---   8
    B7  ---  LR speaker +    ---   3
    B8  ---  LR speaker -    ---  12
    Remarks:

*1: Optional. The speed signal is used for speed dependent volume control (GAL) and on some navigation units for tracking when no GPS reception is available (ie tunnel).
    *2: Optional. The mute signal for the in-car telephone system (if installed).
    *3: Optional. The reverse / back-up signal. Only required for certain navigation units. The E31 radio harness does not provide this signal. If you want it, you must run a wire from a location where the reverse signal is available (see ETM diagrams of your car).
    *4: Optional. Some head units have a day and night mode or have the ability to dim with the instrument lights dimmer.

Pin 7 and 17 of the BMW plug are not used.

PS: Keep in mind that the Indianapolis series were targeted at Europe. There are limitations/issues when using it in the USA (link).
    Thank you for the brilliant detail. Is an adapter made, or will I need to make one up?

Matthew M.
    North Carolina, USA

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    You can get these adapters cheap on eBay, Amazon... and probably also in car hifi shops. If you want a full adapter (including the optional wires) you may have to build your own.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840Ci, 1985 Fer
    You can get these adapters cheap on eBay, Amazon... and probably also in car hifi shops. If you want a full adapter (including the optional wires) you may have to build your own.
    Great, thank you.

Matthew M.
    North Carolina, USA

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    I built my own from two Ebay ISO adaptors as described here:

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/Becker/...dianapolis.htm
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840Ci, 1985 Fer
    Quote Originally Posted by Timm View Post
    I built my own from two Ebay ISO adaptors as described here:

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/Becker/...dianapolis.htm
    Thank you, Timm. I'll have to look around for that CD storage box as well.

Matthew M.
    North Carolina, USA

My Cars
    '95 E36 320i Coupe
    Could anyone provide information about what specific leds would I need to convert my ford traffic pro high speed to bmw colors?
    Last edited by duckling; 03-28-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    E36 320i diamantschwarz rocking on 16" Style 32's. German version.

My Cars
    X5, 325

Becker Logo Editor - 7992 Compatibility

Hello, does the Becker Logo Editor work with the Becker Grand Prix (7992) versions, they are pretty much the same as the Indianapolis Pro but without Nav. Would like to mod mine but worried it may mess up. Out of interest what software do you use to read and write the EEPROM using a serial interface? Any guidance will be much appreciated!

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    allisong: Yes, the Becker Grand Prix is supported.

I used the software included with my (E)EPROM programmer to read and program the EEPROM. If you don't have any yet I would recommend a cheap TL866 based programmer.

The biggest issue is actually hooking up the programmer to the chip. Initially I tried reading/programming in-circuit but that did not work. It always read garbage or failed to reliably program the 24C64 EEPROM. I think there's another I2C device on the PCB that interferes. Maybe you can get it to work with something like a Bus Pirate but I did not feel like wasting more time on it. Instead I decided to isolate the 24C64 EEPROM from the rest of the head unit.

One way is desoldering the EEPROM completely but I would advice against that unless you have the equipment and skills for it. A simpler and easier approach is to isolate only the power to the EEPROM. That way the EEPROM could be powered without other devices on the PCB getting power and interfering.

Isolating a single pin from the EEPROM is very difficult due to the small form factor but pins 1-4 of the EEPROM are all connected to ground. In other words, one entire side of the EEPROM is actually one big pad! I inserted a very thin 26 AWG wire underneath pins 1 to 4 and applied heat to the pins with a soldering iron while gently pulling up the wire. You may even want to add a dab of fresh solder over pins 1-4 to make the old solder flow better. Don't worry about solder bridges - all 4 pins are connected to each other anyways. This way you can lift the EEPROM sideways a bit so pins 1-4 are lifted about a millimeter or two from the PCB. It should be fairly easy but even if things go wrong and you damage the pads underneath, nothing is lost - it's just ground and can be connected to any ground location on the PCB.

Solder a wire to pins 1-4 (use very thin and flexible wiring).

Now follow the PCB traces from pins 5-8 with a multimeter in continuity mode to the nearest via or components with larger solder islands. Once again add some fresh solder to make the old solder reflow better and solder very thin wires onto it.

You should now have 5 wires coming from the board. It's probably a good idea to label the wires to avoid mixups.

If your EEPROM programmer has ISP mode simply hook up the wires to the appropriate ISP pins on the programmer (refer to the documentation/help of the programmer). If the EEPROM programmer has a target system power supply, set it to 3.5 V. If the EEPROM programmer cannot power the circuit in ISP mode, you'll need an external lab power supply at 3.5 V over pins 1-4 (ground) and pin 8 (Vcc).

In the programmer software select the 24C64 EEPROM in ISP mode with 100 kHz clock on address 000

If your EEPROM programmer does not have ISP mode, just connect the wires to the ZIF socket of the programmer. I'd leave ZIF socket pins 1-3 open (the pins on the EEPROM are already grounded anyways). Program the device as you would do normally with the EEPROM directly in the ZIF socket.

The nice thing about this approach is that testing is very easy and does not require additional soldering. Since pins 5-8 are still connected to the PCB all you need to do is grounding the wire from pin 1-4. Just connect the wire to a ground surface like the metal frame of the head unit. Don't forget to disconnect the EEPROM programmer / external power supply before applying power to the Becker head unit. You can test without the cd player mechanism installed.

If you're happy with the result, desolder (or cut) all wires. Finally push the EEPROM down while applying heat to pins 1-4. Once again, don't worry about solder bridges between the pins - they are connected anyways.

That's it!

My Cars
    X5, 325
    Briiliant info and thanks, I was hoping to use on of these, simple I know:
    IMG_4212.JPG
    With an SMD adapter (looks like I should not need it if I lift pins 1 to 4):

IMG_4214.jpg

Wired as follows:

IMG_4211.jpg

With this software (supports this interface):

http://www.lancos.com/prog.html

Hope it it will work ok, I am ok with desoldering and soldering and have a couple of spare EEPROMS, will keep this updated...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by allisong; 09-16-2017 at 12:41 PM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    More out of curiosity, but is it technically possible to add something like a startup text/logo to the BE2455?
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    MParallel: I'm afraid that's not possible.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    MParallel: I'm afraid that's not possible.
    I expected that. Nothing bad, but any personalization is nice. Like the welcome text you can set in the carphone.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    X5, 325
    Just modded my Becker 7992 Grand Prix by swapping the whole front from a genuine BMW Traffic Pro 4769 to give the correct +ve display and colours and then managed to re-write the EEPROM with the BMW logo, in my case BMW Z3.

Brilliant result!

I was not dextrous or brave enough to resolder the LEDs or button pads to keep the 7992 front. I was able to get the AM and FM buttons from a scrap Becker CD/Radio unit so that the buttons on the 4769 front are correct and in line with the original 7992 ones.

My Cars
    97 850CI
    Well done Hopefully you took pictures of the whole process so we the unskilled may be able to follow suit.
    Desecrator of all things Sacred

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast