Thread: Brake lights stay on...any thoughts? thanks

My Cars
    1998 M3 Dakar

Question Brake lights stay on...any thoughts? thanks

I was just told by my brake lights stay on while driving or when the ignition switch its on, can any one please tell me what is causing it?
    Thank you in advance for your help...

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3, 2002 E46 M3
    brake light switch failure.

near the top of the brake pedal under the dash

My Cars
    2007 x5 4.8l 2004.330ci
    Turn car on and brake lights are on? Brake pedal not pressed!
    What happens to lights if brake is pressed ... any change?
    What happens if you turn on head lights and press brake?
    Any console message about light failures?

Any work on car that might be related ... electrical stuff in trunk?

I would suspect the brake light switch at the brake pedal and hope it was that too.

Otherwise it's perhaps a short providing power to the brake lights in wiring somewhere. This would not be nice.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Dakar
    Thanks librevcs... i suspected it to be, just wanted some input from you guys.
    Ron - Lights stay on as you turn the headlights on, even if you press on the brake pedal as well while the headlights are on...they dont go off at any given scenario.
    Thanks guys, i will go down to look at the switch.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dnino10 View Post
    Thanks librevcs... i suspected it to be, just wanted some input from you guys.
    Ron - Lights stay on as you turn the headlights on, even if you press on the brake pedal as well while the headlights are on...they dont go off at any given scenario.
    Thanks guys, i will go down to look at the switch.
    Switch is a common failure item.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    2007 x5 4.8l 2004.330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazarr View Post
    Switch is a common failure item.
    Ever heard of the switch leaving the lights on?

I have experienced the random "Brake Light Failure" message with a bad
    pedal switch.

My Cars
    94 b3 3.0 96 b8 4.0
    check to see if the plunger on the brake light switch hasnt slipped under your brake pedal . if it has the brake light will stay on

My Cars
    96 M3

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i sedan
    I was just told by my brake lights stay on while driving or when the ignition switch its on, can any one please tell me what is causing it?
    The same Happened to me yesterday I solved it Replacing FUSE #9 Brake Lights fuse it was burned !!

TRM is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    Fast ones.
    Definitely check the witch first as others have mentioned. You can install it wrong or the bracket could even be slightly bent when someone was trying to force it in/out and thus it is contacting all the time now. Should be good to go then.

My Cars
    2000 bmw 528i

break light always on SOLVED

If your break light is always on ,it could only be these issues for you to check,its very easy ::

1- check fuses # 9 and fuse # 32 if all ok ,then
    2- replace your break light switch ,its only like $20 ,if you still have lights on,then
    3- check voltage at fuse #7 ,it should read 12 VOLT if it reads less i.e : 5 /6 / 7 or even 2.2 volt or so,then your problem is with your ignition switch.To prove that, jump 12 volt + single wire from battery direct to fuse #7 ,and see if all works good. If not then
    4- replace your light control switch,and you should be good to go.

good luck

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    @alex slim: Hope you brought your time machine.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328Ci

Did ya get it?

I have the same issue, when I shut the car off and turn it off the brake lights are off, but I hit the brakes and they stay in until I turn the car off again

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    As said above, 90% of the time it's the brake light switch which sits under the brake pedal. It's a type of switch which breaks the circuit and turns the lights off when it's pressed, and it sits in such a way that when you aren't pressing on the pedal the switch plunger is fully pressed and "off". Pressing the brake releases the plunger and the lights come on. When the switch fails it fails to its default mode (fully extended) which means the circuit is active and the lights are on. That's deliberate, so that a failure doesn't take out your brake lights.

Anyways, check and/or replace the switch. It's not expensive, though kind of a pain to get to. You can take out the front seat, or stand on your head like I did.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328Ci
    Alright Guys! Back. After I replaced the brake light switch, I found a second brand new one in the glove box. Also I checked all my fuses.
    Any other ideas?
    Might help that apparently I have a secondary ground somewhere(based on my research its in the trunk behind the talight)
    Thanks in advance y'all.