Thread: e39 carpet removal

My Cars
    01 bmw 330i Sport

e39 carpet removal

Anyone know how to remove the carpet in a e39. Easiest way possible without gutting it if it's possible.

My Cars
    m52 powered
    pull seats, center console, gas pedal, glovebox, drivers side lower dash pad, trims at each door. Then use a carpet knife or razor to carefully cut around the heater core box (or remove that too if you want it to come out in 1 piece, your call there)

sort of a big job. make sure you have a full work day available.

My Cars
    SC E39 M5, E92 M3 DCT
    how do you remove the pedal? big hammer?

My Cars
    m52 powered
    lol. no. you break one out of a parts car and then you realize how it is attached, then you don't fubar your own. I get them out by taking the connecting arm out of the top then wiggling and pulling straight up from the bottom. It's 50/50 if the part makes it or not.

My Cars
    SC E39 M5, E92 M3 DCT
    ok so big hammer

got it

i think thats what i did with the 540i too

My Cars
    01 bmw 330i Sport
    I took the carpet out already. Took me about 2 hrs. I unbolted the seats and left the seatbelt attached. I pushed the seats to the outside of the car. The hardest part was the gas pedal. I finally used AllData and it showed me how to take it out. I pushed the center locking piece from the front and the pedal lifted right out.

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    Do you have the link to this alldata that you speak of? I pulled out my carpet a while ago and couldnt figuree out how to remove the pedal. Also i didnt want to cut the carpet that i was installing so, now i have to pay someone to come over and remove the heater box.
    Good luck!!

My Cars
    2001 530iA Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw528guy View Post
    I took the carpet out already. Took me about 2 hrs. I unbolted the seats and left the seatbelt attached. I pushed the seats to the outside of the car. The hardest part was the gas pedal. I finally used AllData and it showed me how to take it out. I pushed the center locking piece from the front and the pedal lifted right out.

WOW youre one of the few that could get the carpet out and so quick...2hrs is pretty fast, did you remove the heater box?

Have you stated putting the new carpet back in yet?

My Cars
    01 bmw 330i Sport
    I dropped the carpet off at my friends detailing shop. Its alot easier putting it back in when you figured out how to take it out.

Quote Originally Posted by boosted 528 View Post
    Do you have the link to this alldata that you speak of? I pulled out my carpet a while ago and couldnt figuree out how to remove the pedal. Also i didnt want to cut the carpet that i was installing so, now i have to pay someone to come over and remove the heater box.
    Good luck!!
    In front of the pedal, push the carpet down and directly in the center of the bottom piece of the pedal is a black tab, push it to the back with a flat head. If you put your finger behind the pedal, you can feel the latch that folds back. Thats the only thing locking the pedal to the floor.
    Last edited by bmw528guy; 06-13-2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 530iA Sport
    I dropped the carpet off at my friends detailing shop. Its alot easier putting it back in when you figured out how to take it out.
    Gotcha!

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    My gas pedal must really be stuck cause, I removed the latch and that damn pedal would not come out. It looks like the floor wants to come off with it. Does anybody have any suggestions

anybody?

bump
    Last edited by boosted 528; 06-22-2009 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    01 bmw 330i Sport

Carpet and gas pedal

If the latch is pushed all the way out, get a big ass pry bar and it will come up. I had the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by boosted 528 View Post
    My gas pedal must really be stuck cause, I removed the latch and that damn pedal would not come out. It looks like the floor wants to come off with it. Does anybody have any suggestions

anybody?

bump
    I just put the carpet back in yesterday and it was pretty much straightforward. I didn't have any problems. It took about an hour considering that I had to pull everything and the panels had to be reinstalled.
    Last edited by bmw528guy; 06-24-2009 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    540i6 540iT 318ti
    Bringing back from the dead to add a question.

I see a seam running across the carpet under the seats. It seams (sic) the carpet is in 2 pieces, front and back.
    Sooo, the rear portion can be removed by yanking some trim, the rear seat, the console, and just the main seat rear anchor bolts?
    Obviously loosening the fronts will aid it this. I may just unbolt them altogether so I can really gain access to steam clean the front portion, w/o removing them from the car. Almost never have an extra set of hands around and room is tight in the garage. Between the PO's dogs, our kids and some door barrier issues, rear so so filthy that it may just be better to clean out of the car.

We'd replace, but the younger of our boys is still too much of a mess maker. If it cleans up nicely enough some better anchored mats may cover whatever blemishes are left.

Lessons learned. Don't have kids, don't have dogs, don't neglect the door seals, or don't buy a BMW.
    Last edited by paul p; 07-23-2017 at 06:46 PM.
    Hang up & Drive!
    Jerry .. 85 Toyo MR2 140K .. ( 20V wiring gremlins *grrrr* )
    Björn .. 03 BMW 540i///M 148K .. ( beat up allstar *oof* )
    Gerta .. 03 BMW 540iT&A 151K .. ( chain guide triage *shakes head* )
    Franz .. 96 BMW 318ti 207k .. ( the new, new daily *GRIN* )
    Wendy .. 20 Honda Refrigerator 28k .. ( for the wife and kids, has flappy paddles? *squint* )
    Resistance was Futile...

"Now, it takes me three months just to fix a door lock because .. crying babies" - rammstein

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by paul p View Post
    Bringing back from the dead to add a question.

I see a seam running across the carpet under the seats. It seams (sic) the carpet is in 2 pieces, front and back.
    Are you referring to your Touring or sedan?

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    540i6 540iT 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Are you referring to your Touring or sedan?
    Thanks Q
    It's for the touring.
    I've already got the back seat, rear door threshold trim and b-pillar trim out.
    Lifted the carpet and saw that we have caught this just in time.

Ran out of garage time at that point.