Thread: engine hard shake after washing with water...

My Cars
    BMW m3 e36 1994

engine hard shake after washing with water...

I have euro m3 but this is not specific question.
    Yesteday I wash my engine with miniwash and water temp arround 30C. Pressure is not so strong and I clean only head and ITBs (Individual Throttle Bodies) intakes: picture cleaned region bellow.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OglyhjtdDfo[/ame]

I drive my car to home (1 miles distance) and engine work properly. After 3 hours I started car and engine really bad shake with sound from exhaust like here is big V8. Car dont have power and above 3800rpm work much better than bellow. After several drivings with this symptoms (full warm engine) shaking is still here.

I ask my mechanics do I can clean engine with water and he told me that this is constructed for cleaning with water. I am totaly frustrated.

What I can first to check?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocrvaw3d4UM Dont drive over limited speed!!! Drive safely......

My Cars
    87 325i cabrio
    Did you ever get water under your BMW Distributor Cap? You either wait for it to dry out, or you spray some water-repelling oil in the cap to dry it ...

copy and pasted from google

My Cars
    BMW m3 e36 1994
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndone View Post
    ...BMW Distributor Cap? ...
    where is this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocrvaw3d4UM Dont drive over limited speed!!! Drive safely......

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    In his imagination.

Chances are you just got water down in the spark plug recesses and its causing a weak spark. Use compressed air to blow it out.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    BMW m3 e36 1994
    spark plugs is bellow cover with "m power" logo?
    but here is allot heat. water will vapor under this condition. or not?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    There is most likely water down in the spark plugs + coils. It looks and sounds exactly like when this happened to me just after I washed MY car. I THOUGHT it would evaporate, but after 5 days of Arizona sun it didn't fix itself.... SO I'd highly suggest pulling of that "M logo cover" and checking your spark plugs. On these cars they are way down in there so it is tough to get a paper towel down the hole to fish out the water. Take a screw driver and carefully make sure that towel gets all the way in there to insure there is no water. On my car all of the plugs were dry except 5 and 6 (the ones closet to the rear of the car). Usually you can tell whether or not there is water down there by when you take your spark coils off and its a tad wet on the end. Make sure you check them all though just in case! Dry off that coil too!

Goodluck. IT sounds just like mine did - i bet this is the problem. That process should take no more than 30 minutes so its not that bad.

Cheers,
    - D

My Cars
    2007 x5 4.8l 2004.330ci
    Could you have watered your air filter?

If air filter area is dry .... then I would run the car if it doesn't miss too bad to
    full temperature and if possible drive a bit nearby for like 15 minutes. I would hope the water dries up and the car starts running right after that.

If problem continues you must have CEL codes which would give important clues. A bad MAF now? Spark-Coil issue?

I have never washed under my hood because I have experienced this kind of problem with other cars. I posted a thread the other day asking about how
    one should clean the engine bay ... now you know why I asked.

FYI you just convinced me I am right to be careful about spraying under the hood.

If driving for 15 minutes doesn't cure it.
    Then you might consider removing the plastic engine covers for spark plug access and injector access. Try the 15 minute engine heat deal again.

If still no go We really need the codes.
    Without codes I would say pull coils and examine connectors, plug holes and boots for water ... hair dryer now? Make sure spark plug coil boots are both dry and clean. Everything is dry!
    Last edited by Ron97M3; 06-13-2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I also found that because the spark plug holes where so small to fit a paper towel through, that a can of compressed air will quickly shoot all the water out. Keeping your engine bay area clean is necessary for a long life of the engine - id ignore the "fears" of cleaning your engine... just take the obvious precautions such as covering any electrical components, covering your air filter, and if there is an issue.. then it should be pretty obvious like there is still water somewhere. Sometimes itll naturally evap in a day or so- othertimes you have to tack it down.

Again i disagree with Ron97M3 and anyone who has a "fear" of cleaning their engine. Just be aware of what you are doing and keep your car clean!
    Last edited by r4esh; 06-13-2009 at 04:28 PM.

My Cars
    BMW m3 e36 1994
    Spark plug and coil on cyl 1 is wet (water). We are clean this and car run smooth. But after 1/2 hour engine have again same symptoms. Tomorow we will clean all coils and spark plugs.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by foler View Post
    Spark plug and coil on cyl 1 is wet (water). We are clean this and car run smooth. But after 1/2 hour engine have again same symptoms. Tomorow we will clean all coils and spark plugs.
    Yup there you go - you located the issue. The same thing happened to me though where I thought it was dry and then more water must have dripped out of the coil again because I had to go back and check it again. Even if you think you got it all, it isn't a bad idea to check all the plugs and ensure that ALL the plugs AND COILS are dry.

Cheers,
    -D

My Cars
    M3
    You should never wash your engine with water. Steam cleaning is the best way to do it.