Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifter Tick Solution? - Perhaps...

My Cars
    '89 E30, '05 SE-R Sp

Lifter Tick Solution? - Perhaps...

Alright, I've had some bad lifter tap. I've been running 10w-40 amsoil in my car. My engine is an m52 with ~170k miles now. Whenever I run my car hard I'll get lifter tap, and it's just been getting worse. From a few times running it hard, to just driving it on the highway at around 3k rpms. I decided to try a couple of things and try to solve this lifter tap situation without having to replace the lifters. I added an extra quart of oil to see if maybe I was just getting air bubbles in my lifters. It didn't solve the problem, so I put a bit of ATF in my engine, to help clean up some of that gunk. It helped a bit, but the lifter tap would still come back. People were telling me that I should run a thicker weight engine oil (15w-50). I just don't like the idea knowing that I would pretty much be running the same weight engine oil as desiel cars...

So today I ran an engine flush. I put Amsoil Engine Flush in my car. The directions say to drain some out, and fill whatever was drained out back with how much of the engine flush fluid you need. I didn't drain any out. The directions then state to run the car at high idle for about 20-30mins. I ran the car at 1500rpms for 20mins. Pulled the car back into the garage, jacked it up and drained my engine oil. The oil was VERY thin coming out since the flushing fluid was in it and because the engine oil was hot. I completely drained the oil, replaced the filter, and added 9 quarts of Amsoil 10w-40. Checked the dip stick, and went out for a drive.

I drove the car hard. Trying to drive it as hard as I could pretty much with the space that I had to work with. No lifter tick. yet. I'm going to be gone for the weekend so when I get back I will drive the car again and keep updating this post until I finally find a fix for my lifter tick without having to replace the lifters.

Thanks for letting me waste your time
    You can't inja' this ninja!

<--- LMK if you need some work done on your car, I also roll fenders .

My Parts For Sale Click HERE

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    by the book you're supposed to be running 15w 40 or around that thickness.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1995 M3
    You're welcome!

My Cars
    92 325i 9/91 Build Date
    92 325i 230K
    98 Pontiac Transport 195K
    03 GMC Sierra 72K
    05 G35 102K

My Cars
    '95 Hardbody
    Lol. That's not a waste of our time. Apparently, it's a valid solution to a problem many of us face. Thanks for the info!

My Cars
    e93 and e89
    How about the Royal Purple 5w 40 european specs - I'm trying this on my MB C230 kompressor and the E36

My Cars
    Looking E46, 91 Turbo Z
    Try adding tranny fluid in the oil, to free up the lifters

My Cars
    2015 DSG GTI 4door
    Quote Originally Posted by Headnsouth View Post
    I finished my fist bottle. No improvement yet.

About to do second treatment in 2K or so miles.
    1993 BMW 325i - SOLD
    1996 Mercedes C36 AMG - SOLD
    1987 Mercedes 300 SDL - SOLD
    1981 Volkswagen Rabbit pickup - SOLD
    2006 Mazda Miata GT - SOLD
    2015 Volkswagen GTI DSG

My Cars
    '89 E30, '05 SE-R Sp
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanTTZ View Post
    Try adding tranny fluid in the oil, to free up the lifters
    Yah, ATF is a detergent. Just don't run ATF in there too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Headnsouth View Post
    I remember hearing about that website. There was a reason I didn't want to do it. lol. But if worst comes to worst, that's what I will have to get to eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    by the book you're supposed to be running 15w 40 or around that thickness.
    In all climates? I like being able to drive my car in the cold. I hate having to warm it up for as long as it needs to be.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Here is page 126 of the E36 manual. Taken from pdf.

Make sure you see it full size.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 06-13-2009 at 06:58 AM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '95 Hardbody
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwin View Post
    In all climates? I like being able to drive my car in the cold. I hate having to warm it up for as long as it needs to be.
    Well, considering that all engines run at the same temperature, yes. If you're on synthetic, 0W-40 is optimal.

My Cars
    328 330 330 Focus F150
    . . . and added 9 quarts of Amsoil 10w-40 . . .
    Have you added a high capacity oil pan? I thought our engines held only 6.9 quarts . . .

Too much oil can be almost as bad as not enough. If the oil level is too high, the crankshaft whips air into it and the oil becomes frothy.

My Cars
    92 325i 9/91 Build Date
    Quote Originally Posted by visible View Post
    I finished my fist bottle. No improvement yet.

About to do second treatment in 2K or so miles.
    If you have over 150k miles it requires a second treatment. Just remember to use to recommended oil (cheap stuff) during the cleaning and rinse phase.
    92 325i 230K
    03 GMC Sierra 72K
    05 G35 102K

My Cars
    '89 E30, '05 SE-R Sp
    Here is page 126 of the E36 manual. Taken from pdf.

Make sure you see it full size.
    Nice! Thanks a bunch for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatball546 View Post
    Well, considering that all engines run at the same temperature, yes. If you're on synthetic, 0W-40 is optimal.
    I'm running a 10w-40 right now. Going to a 0 weight would be pointless for me at start up.

Quote Originally Posted by kgvickers View Post
    Have you added a high capacity oil pan? I thought our engines held only 6.9 quarts . . .

Too much oil can be almost as bad as not enough. If the oil level is too high, the crankshaft whips air into it and the oil becomes frothy.
    I have an E34 oil pan. I'm not sure if that makes a difference in capacity. Ya, too much oil will not just cause the crank to pull in air, but will also cause bad gas mileage.

My Cars
    '97 328ic Slushbox
    With my very 1st car, a clunker, we drained the old oil, and ran fresh 50-50 mix of oil & kerosene for 10-15 minutes at idle.
    Very Very thin mixture, and though no "detergents", dissolves all sorts of buildup.
    Drained that out, added fresh oil & new filter, ran that for 15 minutes - at idle.
    Drained out for 3rd time, then new oil again, finished.
    Amazing how much junk came out of that engine, and how well it ran afterward.

My Cars
    323is
    I was wondering the same thing!

My Cars
    92 325i 9/91 Build Date
    Using kerosene is an old and risky trick. I'm not saying it won't help but there are better, safer and much more effecient methods.
    www.auto-rx.com
    92 325i 230K
    03 GMC Sierra 72K
    05 G35 102K

My Cars
    '95 Hardbody
    I'm running a 10w-40 right now. Going to a 0 weight would be pointless for me at start up.
    It wouldn't be pointless. The 0W-40 is thinner than 10W-40 when it's cold it thins out to the same viscosity at operating temperature. The advantage is that it takes less time for the oil to thin out and it can begin lubricating properly sooner.
    Last edited by Meatball546; 06-14-2009 at 05:49 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I always have bad lifter tap after taking hard turns on Autocross tracks.. It will fix itself within 30 seconds or so. Unfortunately that is a VERY common issue with all 3 series without a dual pump, dry sump, or a baffled oil pan.

So was the lifter tick after taking hard turns? Cuz if it was, then that's fairly normal and common.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '94 325is
    My M50 has BAD lifter tick as well, and from what I can tell with a mechanic's stethoscope it's coming from 4-5 different lifters. I've tried experimenting with different oil weights, I tried a Liqui-Moly engine flush which helped a little, but it's still very much present. As the engine warms up it seems to get worse.

My engine has ~172kmi on it, so maybe it's just time to do 24 new lifters.. ugh, $420.

If anyone could find an easier solution than replacing them, i'd give it a try in a heartbeat.

mods · depos · 55w DDM 5000k lows · Shield modded projectors · color matched rockers · color matched trim · chrome DSII's · bilstein sport shocks · H&R sport springs · custom 2.5" magnaflow exhaust · M3 offset LCABs · airbox debaffle · UUC Red Tranny Mounts · UUC RTABS · K&N · fan delete · Castrol GTX · Manual/heated Vaders · Tan to black conversion · Microsuede headliner, a/b/c pillars & sunroof shuttle · alpine head unit ·

My Cars
    '89 E30, '05 SE-R Sp
    Quote Originally Posted by exodus454 View Post
    My M50 has BAD lifter tick as well, and from what I can tell with a mechanic's stethoscope it's coming from 4-5 different lifters. I've tried experimenting with different oil weights, I tried a Liqui-Moly engine flush which helped a little, but it's still very much present. As the engine warms up it seems to get worse.

My engine has ~172kmi on it, so maybe it's just time to do 24 new lifters.. ugh, $420.

If anyone could find an easier solution than replacing them, i'd give it a try in a heartbeat.
    Have you read the entire post?

I always have bad lifter tap after taking hard turns on Autocross tracks.. It will fix itself within 30 seconds or so. Unfortunately that is a VERY common issue with all 3 series without a dual pump, dry sump, or a baffled oil pan.

So was the lifter tick after taking hard turns? Cuz if it was, then that's fairly normal and common.
    That's a different issue than I have. I've tried adding an extra 1/2 to full quart. It doesn't do anything. Originally I thought that it was the reason because it first happened when I was on the track, but it just got worse and worse.

It wouldn't be pointless. The 0W-40 is thinner than 10W-40 when it's cold it thins out to the same viscosity at operating temperature. The advantage is that it takes less time for the oil to thin out and it can begin lubricating properly sooner.
    I don't live in an area that is usually cold. Our winters consist of only a few weeks below freezing if anything lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Riick View Post
    With my very 1st car, a clunker, we drained the old oil, and ran fresh 50-50 mix of oil & kerosene for 10-15 minutes at idle.
    Very Very thin mixture, and though no "detergents", dissolves all sorts of buildup.
    Drained that out, added fresh oil & new filter, ran that for 15 minutes - at idle.
    Drained out for 3rd time, then new oil again, finished.
    Amazing how much junk came out of that engine, and how well it ran afterward.
    The Amsoil smells like kerosene actually.

My Cars
    '95 Hardbody

That sounds like oil starvation. As long as you fill the oil up to the maximum oil level, this shouldn't be a problem, even while racing. Make sure your oil level is up.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    That sounds like oil starvation. As long as you fill the oil up to the maximum oil level, this shouldn't be a problem, even while racing. Make sure your oil level is up.
    Of course it's oil starvation, every time I go autocrossing I put an extra quart in, but depending on how hard you take the car, you will get a bit of starvation. Its quite common, that's why turner and VAC motorsports have baffles for the oil pan, but even those cannot do the job as well. I was going to do it when I did my oil pan and oil pump nut, but I've read it wasn't too helpful.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2 MBs, E30, F-150

+1 too much oil will cause the oil to get airrated and then compress in the lifters, which will cause a lifter tick. If you are running a stock oil pan and no add on oil cooler then you should put ~6.9 quarts in and see what happens. Too much oil is worse than being a little low.

My Cars
    BMW
    shoot. ever wondered if its just time to replace them?

They dont last forever, collapse, and just get so full of gunk that you've gotta take them out to clean them.
    Look, i've got 166xxx miles on my car, and several of my lifters are ticking. Trust me, i've tried everything, from changing different oils, using detergents, and just running the piss out of it to see if maybe there was just a little crap gummed up inside..... Nothing, i get the same ticktickticktick every day. So, maybe its just time to get new ones. Our engines weren't designed to tick, at all. but i'll give credit to those that use a different oil, or clean out their engines, and are able to get rid of the tick.
    But theres only so much you can do, after a while, its like putting a bandaid on a wound, it only covers the problem, doesn't fix it. sorry for being the bummer in this conversation, and i do wish the best of luck.
    But these are just the joys of owning a BMW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast