Thread: Steering wheel vibration at 60~mph (not tire balance)

My Cars
    95 Avus M3

Steering wheel vibration at 60~mph (not tire balance)

Ive had some bad vibrations in the car for a while, today i got new rims/2 rear tires. The wheels/tires are balanced yet i still have a vibrating steering wheel at 60~mph. Im going to swap the wheels so the new tires are in the front so i can rule out bad tires, but other than that, all thats left is wheel bearings i assume? Anything else i can check?

btw i got 18x8 asa ar2's and they look pretty damn nice for a cheapy wheel

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
    Aim - DontRevMe

My Cars
    97 328i, TL SH-AWD
    control arm bushings and tie rods

My Cars
    95 Avus M3
    bushings are good, replaced last year, as are the tire rods/control arms.. I had all of the above inspected and look good.

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
    Aim - DontRevMe

My Cars
    `98 M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by rebs View Post
    Ive had some bad vibrations in the car for a while, today i got new rims/2 rear tires. The wheels/tires are balanced yet i still have a vibrating steering wheel at 60~mph. Im going to swap the wheels so the new tires are in the front so i can rule out bad tires, but other than that, all thats left is wheel bearings i assume? Anything else i can check?

btw i got 18x8 asa ar2's and they look pretty damn nice for a cheapy wheel

If you suspect the front tires might be "bad", then why are you so sure they are in balance?

I vote that they are not in balance.
    --
    Gac's the name. Seriously.

I drive a Metallic Fern Green 1998 BMW M3 Convertible with a hard top. I just rolled over 67k, and I rate the current appearance of the car as 7.8/10, pending repair of some trim pieces. I rate the drive condition as a 7.1/10 until I figure out why my clutch gets into a "slippy mood" evey few months. It is bone-dry stock, except for a modern head unit and slotted/dimpled rotors and ceramic pads. I like it this way. It is awesome.

That is all. Carry on.

My Cars
    98 540i/6
    ball joints possibly?

Dinan CAI | Dinan MAF | Dinan Exhaust | Dinan Stage 4 Engine Software | 19" Staggered M Par Reps | Rear Lip Spoiler |

My Cars
    97 Arctic Silver-Dove ///M3
    Did you roadforce balance them? I've been burned so many times by not doing that.

|AST4100 w/ Vorshlag CC Plates|UUC Sways|X-Brace|255/40/17 NT01s|M50 Manifold|Dinan Software|PF FCABs|UUC RTABs|UUC Subframe Bushings|Hawk HP+|Stewart's H20 Pump|Mech Fan Del. with SPAL puller|TFX retrofit w/ E46 shrouds|AFE Intake|APEX ARC8 17x9|VM Swaybar endlinks|CDV Delete|Subframe Plates|Poly Diff Bushings|
    97 M3 Coupe
    06 E90 330xi
    02 X5 4.4
    93 325i SOLD

My Cars
    97 m3/4/5
    I've been having the same problem for the past few months, except mine vibrates all the time... even when the car sits still. Just can't figure it out!

Maybe a weight fell off your wheel throwing the balance off.

My Cars
    M3
    Check that your calipers are not seizing, they can easily cause a bad vibration if they don't retract properly.

My Cars
    2003.5 & 1999 M3 Coupe
    are the wheels bent? maybe check that
    2003.5 BMW M3 Coupe
    Options: SLICKTOP! Sterliing Gray over Black Leather, 6 MT, Manual Seats, Leather & Xenon
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Options: Dakar Yellow over Black Manual Seats
    1988 BMW M3 Coupe
    Options: Alpine White over Black M Tech Cloth

Other rides: 2016 Mercedes Benz G63 AMG, Designo Matte Midnight Black (daily driver)
    1987 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Notchback Coupe, Supercharged Sleeper (garage queen)
    Previous BMWs: 1995 BMW 325is/1995 BMW M3 Coupe/1998 BMW M3 Dinan Coupe/1998 BMW M3 Sedan/2000 BMW 323CI/2000 BMW 528i Sport Sedan/2003 BMW 540i Sport Sedan/2003 BMW M3 Coupe (SMG)/2009 BMW M3 Coupe (6MT)

My Cars
    99 Estoril Blue M3
    Guibo/Driveline?
    I need (1) 18" CSL Replica Wheel PM me if you have!

Thinking of buying from BAV TOYS... Think again...
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1179527

My Cars
    95 Avus M3
    brand new wheels, the old wheels did the same. Balanced twice (dont know if its road balance or not). I would THINK if its guibo i would feel it in the seat and not the steering wheel. I dont see how a brake caliper can cause a vibration that only happens at certain rpms.

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
    Aim - DontRevMe

My Cars
    E36 M3,T70 GT, IS250
    yeah I had the same problem, took it to the tire shop and they said 1 of my front tires was out of balance

My Cars
    97 M3, 96 318i
    are the wheels hubcentric? if not, then thats definitely it

My Cars
    95 Avus M3
    Quote Originally Posted by elements018 View Post
    second set of wheels that does this, and only the fronts have this issue, but, how would i check?

thanks

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
    Aim - DontRevMe

My Cars
    87 325is
    The wheel should be a close sliding fit on the centering ring that sticks out of the hub. If that is not the case it will probably be impossible to balance the wheels off the car and not have vibration at some speed.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    95 Avus M3
    Quote Originally Posted by thejlevie View Post
    The wheel should be a close sliding fit on the centering ring that sticks out of the hub. If that is not the case it will probably be impossible to balance the wheels off the car and not have vibration at some speed.
    they are asa ar2's if it helps, but aside of it being wheels/tires, any other components to check that we havent covered?

thanks all

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
    Aim - DontRevMe

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    I had this happen to my old 328 and what fixed it was new control arms (with ball joints) and new steering column joint

I replaced the tires, had them rebalanced, replaced tie rods, control arms and bushings, and the guibo... finally it went away.
    -Ivan

My Cars
    1999 E36 ///M3
    I have the same problem. slight viberation on steering wheel at 60+ only. 4 New wheels, 4 new tires, new rotors and pads. balance 3x and 2x roadforce (computer show 0). Same result. No vib with old wheels and tires.
    I cant seem to find out what it is. alot of ppl seems to have this problem with new wheels.
    Good luck finding out where the problem is. i would love to know.

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by czynot View Post
    I have the same problem. slight viberation on steering wheel at 60+ only. 4 New wheels, 4 new tires, new rotors and pads. balance 3x and 2x roadforce (computer show 0). Same result. No vib with old wheels and tires.
    I cant seem to find out what it is. alot of ppl seems to have this problem with new wheels.
    Good luck finding out where the problem is. i would love to know.
    Well put your old wheels back on and check for the vibration... if they don't vibrate, it's definitely new wheels... however, there might be slight vibration from larger wheels/smaller sidewalls of tires but nothing excessive enough to be bothered by...
    -Ivan

My Cars
    e55
    Quote Originally Posted by elements018 View Post
    You may need hucentric rings. $9-$11 part (4 rings)

Custom Dyno-tuned Eurocharged| Eurocharged Headers |Filthy Habits Mid-Pipe | Filthy Habits Intake | PLM | BWK | 010 | KW | Meisterschaft

My Cars
    95 Avus M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty24 View Post
    You may need hucentric rings. $9-$11 part (4 rings)
    Entertaining this theory, wouldn't a tire shop be aware of this before hand?

95 M3/2 S52 OBD1
    Aim - DontRevMe

My Cars
    97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by rebs View Post
    Entertaining this theory, wouldn't a tire shop be aware of this before hand?
    Not really. If you tighten the lugs with the wheel in the air, it will line up right. Even tirerack.com told me this. I bought rings just in case and I still have a vibration. Its either my brakes or tie rods