Thread: secondary air pump won't stop

My Cars
    02 Dinan 530i, 00 323it

secondary air pump won't stop

When I bought this car, it had a melted SAP but came with a new one (off the car), so I knew I might have a problem greater than just replacing it. Also, 50 amp SAP fuse was out, CEL on of course. I replaced the pump, redid the wiring and plug (which were also melted), replaced fuse, reset CEL and have been fine for months. The other night I started the car at work (after several thousand trouble-free miles) and noticed about 5 minutes after I began my commute that the SAP was still humming away. Once you know what to listen for, you can always hear one running. It usually just runs for a minute or so, then shuts off.
    Anyway, I pulled over, of course, and popped the hood and it was humming away. Then I shut off the car and it was STILL RUNNING!!! Then i pulled the fuse and it was STILL RUNNING!!! WTF, it's HAUNTED!!!! So I carefully reached under it and was finally able to pull the plug on the bottom without getting burned and it finally shut off.
    I can drive the car, I hate the SAPs anyway, they are just trouble. CEL light has come on again of course (after a couple of days). I wonder if anyone else has delta with this specific problem, perhaps just a one time computer glitch that it failed to turn off, or bigger problem lurking?
    330CiC 5mt - sold
    02 Dinan 530i - her ride
    00 323it 5mt - daily driver

My Cars
    02 Dinan 530i, 00 323it
    Anyone?
    330CiC 5mt - sold
    02 Dinan 530i - her ride
    00 323it 5mt - daily driver