Thread: Power Mirrors not working.. wierd problem HELP!

My Cars
    E39 ///M5

Power Mirrors not working.. wierd problem HELP!

The mirrors did not work at all i changed the fuse and now the driver moved for a second and then stopped - would this be the relay or what? and can anyone point me in the direction of where the power mirror relay would be!
    TIA for any help!

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i SOLD; 1997 BMW 318 SOLD; 1996 BMW M3
    mines dont work at all....

My Cars
    2007 x5 4.8l 2004.330ci

Anything-repair that happened to cause first fuse failure?

Quote Originally Posted by JB6712 View Post
    The mirrors did not work at all i changed the fuse and now the driver moved for a second and then stopped - would this be the relay or what? and can anyone point me in the direction of where the power mirror relay would be! TIA for any help!
    So I assume the fuse was blown and replacing the fuse made it work for a moment. Did the second fuse blow? Does it still blow a fuse?
    We prefer blowing fuses over and over in a bad circuit to a circuit that quits blowing fuses and ceases to function even for a moment.

Well blown fuse is a big indicator of an electrical problem ... Duh.
    So was there some work (accident) that might have affected the mirror related wiring to blow the first fuse? Were mirrors knocked loose or something.

Don't think there ia a relay related to mirrors is there? Anybody?

My Cars
    97' E36 M3 Track Car
    same problem. drivers busted but passenger works. weird thing about it is that when i switch to driver side mirror for adjustment, when i move the joystick, i hear the passenger side motor trying to move... normal? i dont know.

Living Life Turn After Turn!

My Cars
    E39 ///M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron97M3 View Post
    So I assume the fuse was blown and replacing the fuse made it work for a moment. Did the second fuse blow? Does it still blow a fuse?
    We prefer blowing fuses over and over in a bad circuit to a circuit that quits blowing fuses and ceases to function even for a moment.

Well blown fuse is a big indicator of an electrical problem ... Duh.
    So was there some work (accident) that might have affected the mirror related wiring to blow the first fuse? Were mirrors knocked loose or something.

Don't think there ia a relay related to mirrors is there? Anybody?
    no the fuse didnt blow- actually when i checked the fuse box that one that was in there looked good- but changed it ne ways ... I am not sure of any accident causing this and im pretty sure the mirrors worked when i picked it up and have had no accidents since

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by OppLock1 View Post
    same problem. drivers busted but passenger works. weird thing about it is that when i switch to driver side mirror for adjustment, when i move the joystick, i hear the passenger side motor trying to move... normal? i dont know.
    Mine has the exact same problem. Fuse was blown when I got the car, put a fuse in and the passenger side moves fine. When I try the drivers side, the passenger side makes noise like it's trying to move. My first thought is that there may be a common failure mode like something in the mirror adjustment switch that causes a short. Haven't had a chance to troubleshoot mine yet.

My Cars
    E39 ///M5
    bump anyone anything?

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by garyk View Post
    Mine has the exact same problem. Fuse was blown when I got the car, put a fuse in and the passenger side moves fine. When I try the drivers side, the passenger side makes noise like it's trying to move. My first thought is that there may be a common failure mode like something in the mirror adjustment switch that causes a short. Haven't had a chance to troubleshoot mine yet.
    Found the problem...
    Two of the wire terminals going into the mirror motor had fallen out. The two that fell out meant the motor wouldn't work, and if they touched it could blow the fuse. So I'd recommend that anybody with the symptoms above, check the wires going into the mirror motor itself. I plugged mine back in and all seems fine now.

My Cars
    1998 M3
    my mirrors dont work either. every time i change the fuse it blows.. but they both work..

its annoying, and my driver heated seat doesnt work anymore

My Cars
    2004MysticCobra 97E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by garyk View Post
    Found the problem...
    Two of the wire terminals going into the mirror motor had fallen out. The two that fell out meant the motor wouldn't work, and if they touched it could blow the fuse. So I'd recommend that anybody with the symptoms above, check the wires going into the mirror motor itself. I plugged mine back in and all seems fine now.
    Sorry to bring back an old thread but I have had my drivers side mirror not be able to move since I picked up the car didnt really bother since I just manually moved the mirror to my perfect position. I now want to take care of it. Iam going to check the fuse first but if that doesnt work are the mirror wires behind the door panel or do you have to remove the mirror it self to check these wires. My condtion is exactly like the guy that was having his passenger motor move when the I had the switch to move the drivers mirror.

And one last question can you post the proper fuse to change thanks
    Last edited by E36M3Sickness; 09-23-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    89 Black 962 Porsche 350Hp 95 Torch Red ZR1 Vette 405Hp 99 Canary Yellow Mustang Saleen NA 340Hp 01 Zinc Yellow Mustang Saleen SC 420 Hp 04 Mystic Cobra 550Hp 97 Artic Silver E36 M3 380Hp not perfect tune soon to be a shit load more

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530xiT
    Pull/snap the mirror glass out straight out of the mirror housing to reveal the axis motors and the motor wiring. You will likely find that the wire connectors and terminal plugs are corroded if not just dirty. Take them all off and clean with a red ScotchBrite pad and some electrical contact cleaner and put them all back together. The mirror snaps out and back in like Lego—it's pretty simple once you see how it assembles.

The mirrors and the wiring are exposed to the outside elements for the most part and can take some abuse over time. Cleaning the wires and terminals in the mirrors is easy and fast, and likely the source of your problems.

Good luck,

doug

My Cars
    2004MysticCobra 97E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
    Pull/snap the mirror glass out straight out of the mirror housing to reveal the axis motors and the motor wiring. You will likely find that the wire connectors and terminal plugs are corroded if not just dirty. Take them all off and clean with a red ScotchBrite pad and some electrical contact cleaner and put them all back together. The mirror snaps out and back in like Lego—it's pretty simple once you see how it assembles.

The mirrors and the wiring are exposed to the outside elements for the most part and can take some abuse over time. Cleaning the wires and terminals in the mirrors is easy and fast, and likely the source of your problems.

Good luck,

doug
    Ok doug thanks allot I will try that and report back. Since Iam going to check the fuse first do you know which number it is. And why would the passenger motor be moving when I have the switch turned on to the drivers side thats the part I dont understand.
    89 Black 962 Porsche 350Hp 95 Torch Red ZR1 Vette 405Hp 99 Canary Yellow Mustang Saleen NA 340Hp 01 Zinc Yellow Mustang Saleen SC 420 Hp 04 Mystic Cobra 550Hp 97 Artic Silver E36 M3 380Hp not perfect tune soon to be a shit load more

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530xiT
    Quote Originally Posted by E36M3Sickness View Post
    Ok doug thanks allot I will try that and report back. Since Iam going to check the fuse first do you know which number it is. And why would the passenger motor be moving when I have the switch turned on to the drivers side thats the part I dont understand.
    The fuse wouldn't be something I would look at. It either will work or it won't with a fuse (not blown or blown). Sounds like either the wiring is backwards somewhere--likely at the door switch--or there could be a short somewhere. Get both mirrors working first, then track down the cause of the reversed mirrors. The switch may have just been put back in the door card upside down, too. It could just be a matter of reversing the wires plugged into the back of the switch or flipping it around in the door.

doug

My Cars
    2004MysticCobra 97E36M3
    The fuse wouldn't be something I would look at. It either will work or it won't with a fuse (not blown or blown). Sounds like either the wiring is backwards somewhere--likely at the door switch--or there could be a short somewhere. Get both mirrors working first, then track down the cause of the reversed mirrors. The switch may have just been put back in the door card upside down, too. It could just be a matter of reversing the wires plugged into the back of the switch or flipping it around in the door.

doug
    OK but doug My passeger mirror is working perfect I just have this problem with my Driver side and like I said I have never yet checked the my drivers side fuse since I bought the car 7 months ago. Thats why I was asking about the fuse number.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530xiT
    It would be one fuse for all mirrors. On my car it is fuse #24 and is a 10A fuse. If one mirror works, it's definitely NOT the fuse.

My Cars
    2004MysticCobra 97E36M3
    It would be one fuse for all mirrors. On my car it is fuse #24 and is a 10A fuse. If one mirror works, it's definitely NOT the fuse.
    OK yeah you answered my question about the fuse right there I thought each one had individual fuses

My Cars
    99 M3 Convertible
    Hmmm, I'll have to try this out as well. Ever since I picked up the car 2.5yrs ago the driver side mirror works fine (though very loud and slow) and the passenger one hasn't worked at all. Snapped it into the right position but has always bugged me. Now to just narrow down that airbag light.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530xiT
    So I went out at lunch and recorded a quick little video of the simple removal of a mirror glass to access the motor and wiring. This stuff is all exposed to the elements, and on a car this age, the contacts can easily become a mess. IF your mirrors work intermittently, or one works without the other (or if one moves up when you push down and left when you push right), your motor contacts might be a mess.

[ame]http://youtu.be/_wp_yJDg7b8[/ame]

Take the mirror glass off, clean the prongs and wire connectors with electric cleaner and a small 3M ScotchBrite pad, then lightly re-crimp the connectors so that they hold tight on the post. Test the motors before putting the mirror back on to make sure things are working.

It's possible the electric motor in the mirror has failed, but honestly it isn't likely. Brush or comm wear in one of those should be minimal to nothing. The odds are it is not working because of a bad connection and can easily be rectified with a few minutes of labor.

Good luck with the troubleshooting.

My Cars
    2004MysticCobra 97E36M3
    So I went out at lunch and recorded a quick little video of the simple removal of a mirror glass to access the motor and wiring. This stuff is all exposed to the elements, and on a car this age, the contacts can easily become a mess. IF your mirrors work intermittently, or one works without the other (or if one moves up when you push down and left when you push right), your motor contacts might be a mess.

http://youtu.be/_wp_yJDg7b8

Take the mirror glass off, clean the prongs and wire connectors with electric cleaner and a small 3M ScotchBrite pad, then lightly re-crimp the connectors so that they hold tight on the post. Test the motors before putting the mirror back on to make sure things are working.

It's possible the electric motor in the mirror has failed, but honestly it isn't likely. Brush or comm wear in one of those should be minimal to nothing. The odds are it is not working because of a bad connection and can easily be rectified with a few minutes of labor.

Good luck with the troubleshooting.
    Thanks so much for the video Apexspeed I was wondering about to get your supposed to pop of the Mirror. I havent been able try this is because of work so I am going to do this first thing tommrowo morning again thanks for the video and badd ass rare TechniViolet M3 you have there. What mods do you have.
    Last edited by E36M3Sickness; 09-29-2012 at 12:18 AM.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530xiT
    Quote Originally Posted by E36M3Sickness View Post
    Thanks so much for the video Apexspeed I was wondering about to get your supposed to pop of the Mirror. I havent been able try this is because of work so I am going to do this first thing tommrowo morning again thanks for the video and badd ass rare TechniViolet M3 you have there. What mods do you have.
    Thanks, my car is fairly stock—K&N drop-in air filter, CD43 head unit, ZHP shift knob, VSL aluminum radiator, Stewart water pump. I'm just chugging through a list of things to repair or replace before I start doing anything to the car for any performance upgrade. Click on my sig image for a lame-o and verbose blog that tracks anything that I have done to the car since I got it.

My Cars
    2004MysticCobra 97E36M3
    Thanks, my car is fairly stock—K&N drop-in air filter, CD43 head unit, ZHP shift knob, VSL aluminum radiator, Stewart water pump. I'm just chugging through a list of things to repair or replace before I start doing anything to the car for any performance upgrade. Click on my sig image for a lame-o and verbose blog that tracks anything that I have done to the car since I got it.
    Badass I just read your blog on the Stewert Water pump and aluminum housing I want to look into see if they sell a electic which is amazing since you can have the car sitting in the racing dock or just sitting anywhere and have the pump cooling the block constantly but if they dont make one I will look into buying the stewrt one. Iam really am surprised about BMW allowing these cooling very essential parts to be made in plastic.