Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: [DIY] Power Steering

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    I've got some "mods" to my steering, including but not limited to a Z3 rack and the SLR roll center/bump steer correction parts. It means my lock to lock on my steering is about 1.8-1.9 turns which is awesome, but puts a lot more load on the power steering. Taking that restrictor out "could" lighten my steering back up which would be nice. Anyone know of any downsides to the removal other than reduced steering effort?
    lots of people have removed it without recourse.
    CBlock

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Yeah it won't have an affect on feel. It just controls flow back into the reservoir.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert, 1992 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
    Yeah it won't have an affect on feel. It just controls flow back into the reservoir.
    Flow affects feel which is why it's there. Pressure into the rack is always the same, the restrictor serves to lower the pressure drop across the rack. More pressure drop will increase the amount of effective steering boost due to the increased pressure across the piston.
    Caprica Junkie

My Cars
    97 BMW M3 Sedan
    Great DYI!

I just did my car in under 1hr and I was taking my time.

I bought everything from amazon it was cheaper than my local auto parts.

Here are the hoses I used on mine I already have around 5k mines on it and it haven't leaked or sweat.

- ($13.45 when I bought it) Gates 27065 Transmission Oil Cooler Hose http://amzn.to/2nrzkcN

-($21.51 when I bought it) Rein Automotive PSH0188 Power Steering Hose http://amzn.to/2mNoe4S
    Current
    -1997 BMW M3 4Door Artic Silver w/ Black Interior Daily

Past
    -2001 BMW 325i
    -1999 BMW M3 Vert White
    -1981 VW Rabbit Pickup (Caddy) 2.0 ABA

"I don't care if the door gaps are straight. When the driver steps on the gas, I want him to shit his pants." - Enzo Ferrari

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345