Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [DIY] Power Steering

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    I'll be doing this over the next week or so. All OEM parts, the two lines and resevoir. Hope to get another 15 years out of them. Confirm that the lines in and out of the resevoir are low pressure. Had I seen this I may have done the mod on the one line, but I'm trying to keep this car as 100% stock as I can. Every other car I have I modify, chop, alter, etc. But this M-3 will stay as stock as possible, with higher performance parts, rotors, pads, bushings, shocks, but I'm not going to do fan deletes, airbox mods, hose chopping, calip[er and rotor swaps, radiator/cross model parts. My goal is to keep it as pure as possible.... Gotta have one at least vehicle that way. lol.
    Last edited by Steve Pratel; 02-18-2014 at 02:24 PM.
    1997 M3 Coupe Cosmos/Modena

Other evidence of my addiction...
    2006 Jeep Commander, 1976 Porsche 912 E, 1986 Olds Cutlass 442 Salon
    2005 Yamaha FRJ 1300, 1979 Yamaha XS1100, 1978 Yamaha XS750 Triple

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Lines in and out of reservoir are indeed low pressure.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Please see attached photo.
    I'm not familiar with how hydraulic are assembled or how it looks on the inside.

I am planning on cutting just the "cup" that surrounds the hose and peeling it apart.
    Does it look like I am on the right track here? I am planning on doing this mod this week. My last point of leakage on the PS system.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Yep. Only on the line from the reservoir to the pump and from the rack to the res.

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    Following

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
    Yep. Only on the line from the reservoir to the pump and from the rack to the res.
    I'm only planning on doing this to that specific hose i referenced in the I picture I attached on my previous post. It is the hose that connects from the trombone (ps cooler) to the reservoir.

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Quote Originally Posted by BANKAIm3 View Post
    I'm only planning on doing this to that specific hose i referenced in the I picture I attached on my previous post. It is the hose that connects from the trombone (ps cooler) to the reservoir.
    Cool, go for it. Dremel cut off wheel is what I used. Clamp came right off.

If you are going to use a new rubber hose, make sure to transfer the restrictor valve from the old line into the new one.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
    Cool, go for it. Dremel cut off wheel is what I used. Clamp came right off.

If you are going to use a new rubber hose, make sure to transfer the restrictor valve from the old line into the new one.
    I am not replacing that line. I am replacing the line that goes from the power steering cooler (trombone) to the reservoir.

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe
    In this diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/n/q/3.png

You are referring to the hose around number 9 that connects to 8 aren't you? That is the hose with the restrictor valve and the one that you need to cut with the dremel.

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Yeah there is a restrictor in the hose that goes from the trombone to the res. I can see the hose clamp in the middle of the hose that keeps the restrictor in place.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by ewrjontan View Post
    In this diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/n/q/3.png

You are referring to the hose around number 9 that connects to 8 aren't you? That is the hose with the restrictor valve and the one that you need to cut with the dremel.
    Yes, I believe we are referring to the same hose, but where is the restrictor valve? The current hose that connects to the trombone to the reservoir looks like just plain hose. There was a restrictor on line #5 that I replaced with an OEM replacement.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    The restrictor on hose 9 comes with the hose. It doesn't have it's own P/N.

I believe some of the older models did not come from the factory with the restrictor. My '98 had one that I transferred to the new hose when I replaced it.

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard424 View Post

I believe some of the older models did not come from the factory with the restrictor. My '98 had one that I transferred to the new hose when I replaced it.
    +1

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard424 View Post

I see one on the #5 hose. I have a '98 and it doesn't have one. My #5 hose however, does have one.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems this thread is almost turning into a restrictor vs no restrictor debate... hahaha

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe
    If you look at the picture you attached several posts up, you will see that the hose we are talking about (that connects to the reservoir and trombone) has a hose clamp (the one time use style). That is where the restrictor is. Snap/cut the clamp and the restrictor slides right out. Put it in your new hose and secure it in place with a new hose clamp.

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Just cut into the hose in question when you do the DIY. The restrictor valve will be there...

Or just reuse the hose with the restrictor in it. Just need to be careful when you are dremelling off the factory collar clamps.

My Cars
    2009 & 1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Your inbox is full but mirrors still available

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Just curious.. has anyone tried a simple power steering delete? This is common in most other crowds but doesn't seem as popular here. It seems that it would free up some power and eliminate all the frustrating source of leaks..??
    If the mind can conceive it, & you believe it, you will achieve it. - Napolean Hill
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 Alpine White & 1998 Arctic Silver ///m3/4/5
    JC Intake - ASC Delete - Dinan TB - Flow Matched 21.5# Injectors - JC Tune - SS Euro Reps (modified to retain SAP) - z3m ssk - Eisenmann Race 76mm - Yokohama Advan S2 - Squared LTW's - FK Silverline +X - Rogue FCAB/ RTAB/ RSM/ TM - X-Brace - CDV Delete -Racing Dynamics F&R Strut Braces - NGK BKR6E- German Castrol 0w-40

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Any power freed up from the engine would be transferred to ur arms.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    My E36 supercar
    Quote Originally Posted by hide1 View Post
    Just curious.. has anyone tried a simple power steering delete? This is common in most other crowds but doesn't seem as popular here. It seems that it would free up some power and eliminate all the frustrating source of leaks..??
    I have and it makes steering WAY too hard. It's also not just a simple drain the fluid and cap off the ports and get a shorter serpentine belt either. Yes, it works for the Miata guys but not us.

After trying it years ago I have loved my power steering sooo much.

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Quote Originally Posted by E36forever View Post
    I have and it makes steering WAY too hard. It's also not just a simple drain the fluid and cap off the ports and get a shorter serpentine belt either. Yes, it works for the Miata guys but not us.

After trying it years ago I have loved my power steering sooo much.
    So did you cap the lines, loop the lines, or use a power steering delete kit? Not all methods created equal here.

For example, simply taking off the belt would free up power on the motor but is not good for you and not good for the rack. The fluid is still trapped in the rack, and you are fighting against a non-moving pump. This is bad for the rack and it will not last long. Eventually the seals will blow, the rack will fail, and it is a lot of work to turn the wheel because you are fighting the fluid in the rack + grip of tires + weight of vehicle.

If you loop the rack and cut out the pump, you still have a system with trapped air mixed with the fluid making it hard to turn but better on your seals.

If you get a kit like the one from condor speedshop and only keep the needed amount of fluid to lubricate the rack, fluid and air will freely move back and forth, and then it will be a lot easier to turn. Seals are good as there is no pressure in the system and rack life is not compromised. No pressure, no leaks. .

I did this in the past but also included a tee fitting and a small Tilton Engineering reservoir for the fluid and air to have a place to 'breath'. Once the breather was on the car it almost felt like it had power steering again, low speed turning included.
    (https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=3558)

Some people who have only pulled the belt or capped the system don't realize the difficulty turning without power steering is due to the force of overcoming the trapped air and fluids in a sealed system (plus non-functional pump) trying to make its way from one side of the rack to the other. I'm just throwing this out there to see if anyone else has experience with a breather on our cars, as its pretty simple fix and imagine it would be a good way to avoid constantly replacing hoses and fittings on a high pressure sealed system prone to leaks. .
    Last edited by hide1; 05-29-2014 at 12:10 PM.
    If the mind can conceive it, & you believe it, you will achieve it. - Napolean Hill
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 Alpine White & 1998 Arctic Silver ///m3/4/5
    JC Intake - ASC Delete - Dinan TB - Flow Matched 21.5# Injectors - JC Tune - SS Euro Reps (modified to retain SAP) - z3m ssk - Eisenmann Race 76mm - Yokohama Advan S2 - Squared LTW's - FK Silverline +X - Rogue FCAB/ RTAB/ RSM/ TM - X-Brace - CDV Delete -Racing Dynamics F&R Strut Braces - NGK BKR6E- German Castrol 0w-40

My Cars
    My E36 supercar
    ^Like I said it's more than just just draining the fluid and capping the ports. The breathing wasn't how I did mine but I suspect the results would be similar. You need to remove the rack from the case and cut out the middle collar (just like the Miata guys do). This will free up the movement of the rack itself. Again, go ahead and see for yourself but you won't like the end result. No one has with these racks that I have heard of to date.

Bottom line the root cause for the PS line leaks are bad motor mounts. Even stock won't be good enough. Once you upgrade the motor mounts and refresh the lines at the same time you will be in good shape.
    Last edited by E36forever; 05-29-2014 at 12:19 PM.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by hide1 View Post
    If you get a kit like the one from condor speedshop and only keep the needed amount of fluid to lubricate the rack, fluid and air will freely move back and forth, and then it will be a lot easier to turn. Seals are good as there is no pressure in the system and rack life is not compromised. No pressure, no leaks. .
    It should be possible to delete the pump, retain the standard PS fluid reservoir, and route two hoses from it to the two fluid fittings on the rack using suitable adapters. That would keep the system lubed and self-bleeding, allow the fluid to move freely, and all at minimal cost.

That said, cars that are designed for manual steering usually have different steering geometry to keep the effort reasonable. That's not the case here, so better stock up on canned spinach and prepare to develop some Popeye forearms.

Bottom line the root cause for the PS line leaks are bad motor mounts.
    No, the root cause is that the stock hoses to the reservoir are not quite long enough. The result is that even with brand new motor mounts, perfectly normal movement of the engine tugs on the hoses and eventually loosens them at the reservoir nipples. If the hoses were even an inch longer this wouldn't happen.

You can minimize, but not totally eliminate, this effect by carefully clocking the reservoir in its clamp in order to allow the greatest possible slack in the hoses. (You can only see this properly from under the car.)

Neil

My Cars
    My E36 supercar
    ^Correct but like I said with "upgraded motor mounts" this won't happen. Most people either have worn OE mounts or new, but neither solve the issue as you already pointed out.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    ^Correct but like I said with "upgraded motor mounts" this won't happen. Most people either have worn OE mounts or new, but neither solve the issue as you already pointed out.
    Yeah, could be. But with upgraded (meaning stiffer) mounts there's a price to pay in NVH. Mine's a track car and still uses stock mounts. Not the original stock mounts, mind you...
    ;–)

Neil

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast