Thread: Oil not draining from oil filter housing

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

Oil not draining from oil filter housing

I recently bought my first BMW, a 1995 M3. I have been fixing various issues with it, and today was oil change day. First time changing the oil in this car. I took the drain plug out, and while the oil was draining I open up the oil filter housing and replace the O rings and washers. Before I replace the filter I want to wait for the oil to completely drain from the housing, but it wont drain. And I am not talking about a bit of oil at the bottom, it was almost completely full. Common sense tells me that it should drain, but it wouldnt.

So I just put a new filter in and filled the car back up with oil since I didn't see any other options at the time. But there has to be an answer to why the oil didn't drain out of the housing, and I would really appreciate any insight.

Sorry if this is a stupid question or common knowlege, I searched for answers but couldn't find any.

My Cars
    TRM E36 M3, E46 330i
    I don't have the correct answer for you as i've never experienced this. Just out of curiosity, did you loosen/remove the oil filler cap while the oil was draining?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    No the filler cap remained on until i got frustrated with the oil not draining, and I plugged everything up and put fresh oil in it.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5
    Was the car/oil hot or cold? I've seen the housing not drain if you try to do an oil change while everything is cold. It isn't *supposed* to drain the housing at all unless you pull the lid, but even then the passage to drain it is very small. If the car is warm it isn't a problem, as the oil flows more easily.
    Chris
    97 M3
    94 325is
    12 Jeep SRT8

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I made sure the car/oil was hot though.. Hmmm

My Cars
    E39 535i V8
    Hi
    Did you fix your oil draining problem?
    Would appreciate if you can update this thread.

Regards

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Wow, man I remember this.
    No, that s50 always did that and it was never an issue. I put about 30k more miles on that engine and it ran like a top before I money shifted and blew it up!
    Good luck!

My Cars
    E39 535i V8
    Hi,

Thanks for your feedback that confirms the good working of my car (and RIP S50 )

Regards