Thread: 1994 E36 M3 fuel pressure regulator

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe

1994 E36 M3 fuel pressure regulator

Hi everyone,
    My M3 is manufactured 04/94. Is using a different fuel filter and it is in a different location than the (I believe) post 02/95 production models. What is shown in most DIY articles does not apply. The fuel filter is not under the driver side rail, but forward and closer to the firewall as the fuel line bends upward a bit forward of the firewall. (perhaps not a very good description) . So, that we know what we are talking about the replacement fuel filter is a MAHLE KL 35 instead of the normal MAHLE KL 66. I have no problem with replacement etc of the filter. But on the same discussion the fuel pressure regulator is not located in the standard position close to the fuel filter as in post 2/95 models. So, I cannot find the pressure regulator for the life of me and I wonder if there is even one, or if it is part of the fuel pump, or in the vicinity.
    But since we are at it, is the fuel pump under the rear seat behind the driver or passenger side?
    Sorry about the blah, blah blah..
    Managed to post pic with the fuel filter location as it turns upward toward the steering column.FuelFilter.jpg
    Needless to say, any help will be much appreciated!
    Cheers!

My Cars
    Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97
    For this ///M3 the Fuel Pressure Regulator should be on the Injector Fuel Rail, see below
    Capturee.JPG
    Capturew.JPG

Sending unit should be on Passenger side and fuel level unit on Drivers side behind rear seat.

I see you only have 9 post, are you familure with Real OEM?
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sele...&prod=19940400
    Last edited by ZUUD BYE; 03-27-2017 at 07:18 PM.
    'Sweetness Tres' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97 Boston Green 66K Smiles Mine
    'Sweetness Too' M52, 2.5L Z3 5-Speed Roadster, '00 Jet Black 165K Smiles 2022 Gone Ins Co Total in Jan 2022- Right Front Collision - Paid $8850 !!
    'Ol' Black Betty' S52, 3.2L ///M3 5-Speed Vert '98 Cosmos Black 265K Smiles Wifeys
    M50, 2.5L 525i E34 Tragi-matic '95 Sedan Alpine White III 238K Smiles Was Daughters Mine Again
    'Gretchen' M30, 3.5L 535i E34 Tragi-matic '90 Sedan Glacier Blue/Indigo 144K Smiles 2018 Gone & I miss her
    'Sweetness' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '96 Boston Green 264K Smiles Was Mine Ins Co Total in Jan 2013- Rear End Collision - Paid $4800 !!

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    Yep, S50 fuel pressure regulator is at the back of the fuel rail.

Your fuel filter appears to be the correct type but also appears to have been moved. Early S50s should have the fuel filter held in a metal bracket bolted to the engine block. See photo for the stock location. Yours seems to be attached to the frame rail by a hose clamp?

Early S50 fuel filter.jpg

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by NoLastName View Post
    Yep, S50 fuel pressure regulator is at the back of the fuel rail.

Your fuel filter appears to be the correct type but also appears to have been moved. Early S50s should have the fuel filter held in a metal bracket bolted to the engine block. See photo for the stock location. Yours seems to be attached to the frame rail by a hose clamp?

Early S50 fuel filter.jpg
    Thanks everyone for the quick and thorough responses. First of, this is not a pic from my car, but a stock picture from the web. My filter is mounted as you guys suggest. No, I did not know about the OEM website! What a great eye opening!
    I started experiencing some hesitation/fuel not getting through feels like, and I was thinking is time for a fuel filter and if this doesn't do it I would have moved on to the pressure regulator and may be even to the fuel pump (last resort). Plugs have been changed about 8K miles ago. I am also experiencing some fuel dripping out of the overflow from the carbon canister when I first start the car, but it stops once I have run the engine for a couple of minutes. Have you ever had this canister replaced/repaired? Perhaps it is all related to the fuel filter, which sadly has not been replaced for while I have owned the car (5 years)
    I have to look under the rear seat. I was always under the impression that the sending unit was together with the fuel pump. But then again I wasn't looking at the right documentation. How, for Pete's sake did I miss all of this?
    I guess that's why we have a forum. Yeah!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Here some more links you should bookmark besides realoem
    http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog
    electrical troubleshooting manual by built year, ETM https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/etm/data/toc_cd2.pdf
    Here is a drawing of the Fuel tank breath.valve/disturb.air valve which is connected to the carbon cannister http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...urb_air_valve/
    Is that connected?
    Some info on the valve and the cannister from E32, should be same/similar on E36 https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ve-Purge-Valve
    Also includes info how to DIY the cannister.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Shogun,
    You answered just about all of my questions!!!!
    You are definitely a great asset to this forum, not only for your knowledge, but also your willingness to share it!
    THANKS!