Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [DIY] Selector Shaft Seal and Gearshift Rod Joint

busterhax is offline Y̝͎̘̍́ͣ̉͑̿̆Ō͎̼̺̬̒ͯ̃̇͗̂ U͈̖
    My Cars
    e36
    I dropped mine off at RRT. They dropped the exhaust and unbolted the drive shaft and had it done quickly.

My Cars
    99 M3, 06 Evo MR #7 STU
    Soooo

Can people describe the problem that replacing the rod joint fixes? Like, what was bad, that was suddenly good again?

Reason I ask...
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4#post19231354

thanks for any assistance, sorry for minor threadjack.
    project:BDR | 1999 M3 | 2006 Evo MR (STU #7)

Me at the Nurburgring (in someone else's E36)

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    try the rod joint... not very expensive and VERY easy to replace. It will definitely tighten things up as that foam goes bad and creates slop
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    97 //M3/4/5 & 99 //M3/C
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtDyno View Post
    Soooo

Can people describe the problem that replacing the rod joint fixes? Like, what was bad, that was suddenly good again?

Reason I ask...
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4#post19231354

thanks for any assistance, sorry for minor threadjack.
    My shifter was sloppy as hell due to the sponge in my selector shaft joint dissolving from my selector shaft seal leaking.

I found that plus the carrier bushing were where 95% of my slop was coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by busterhax View Post
    Hrmmm. I'm under the car now. I got everything off but i can't for the life of me get the original seal out. I've been going at it with a pick and a tiny eyeglasses screw driver and it just keeps coming out in teeny tiny pieces. Any suggestions?
    I had the same trouble. I fought with it for about an hour and it finally gave out. It came out in pieces until I got down to the spring. Once I got the spring partially out it gave way. Def requires a ton a patience.
    Last edited by alanilil; 04-19-2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    95 Avus Blue M3///96 Boston Green 328i
    I did mine (joint) 3 years ago. Took the last bit of slop the SSK+DSSR didn't take out. That damn little sponge does make a good amount of difference with before and after feel.
    ----Dave----

My Cars
    99 M3, 06 Evo MR #7 STU
    Quote Originally Posted by 99MPower View Post
    try the rod joint... not very expensive and VERY easy to replace. It will definitely tighten things up as that foam goes bad and creates slop
    Quote Originally Posted by alanilil View Post
    My shifter was sloppy as hell due to the sponge in my selector shaft joint dissolving from my selector shaft seal leaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmym3 View Post
    I did mine (joint) 3 years ago. Took the last bit of slop the SSK+DSSR didn't take out. That damn little sponge does make a good amount of difference with before and after feel.
    Can you elaborate specifically on what kind of slop replacing the rod joint removed? Forward-back, side-side, rotational (clockwise/counterclockwise rotation of the shifter)?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...8&postcount=46

The 4th and 5th videos specifically I'd be interested in knowing how much play your setups have... i.e. how much they move once the gear is fully engaged, and how much you can rotate the shift lever with the shift knob removed.

thanks
    john
    project:BDR | 1999 M3 | 2006 Evo MR (STU #7)

Me at the Nurburgring (in someone else's E36)

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    just for my reference...plus the banter is soooo good. lol...

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Just a note, BMW changed the design of the joint. You will not need the two spacer/washers. They incorporated them into the joint. When I installed the 6 speed, I had to grind off the protruding material so that the DSSR would fit over the new joint. If you don't have a DSSR, than just ignore the washers.

Yes it was a new BMW part.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    You don't have to buy a whole new selector joint, you can buy the little foam sponge separately..
    If the mind can conceive it, & you believe it, you will achieve it. - Napolean Hill
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 Alpine White & 1998 Arctic Silver ///m3/4/5
    JC Intake - ASC Delete - Dinan TB - Flow Matched 21.5# Injectors - JC Tune - SS Euro Reps (modified to retain SAP) - z3m ssk - Eisenmann Race 76mm - Yokohama Advan S2 - Squared LTW's - FK Silverline +X - Rogue FCAB/ RTAB/ RSM/ TM - X-Brace - CDV Delete -Racing Dynamics F&R Strut Braces - NGK BKR6E- German Castrol 0w-40

My Cars
    Datsun 1976 280z
    Quote Originally Posted by hide1 View Post
    You don't have to buy a whole new selector joint, you can buy the little foam sponge separately..

Where?

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Quote Originally Posted by MazerRackham View Post
    Where?
    rmeuropean
    pelican parts
    autohausaz
    ecstuning
    im sure i'm missing a bunch

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    rmeuropean pelican parts autohausaz ecstuning im sure i'm missing a bunch
    Thebmwminipartstore

My Cars
    96 M3 Coupe
    I'm currently stuck trying to get the seal out. Like the other guy who was having trouble, mine has come out mostly in pieces but is definitely still in there. I've been using a pick and small screwdrivers but everything only seems to push it in further.

Was thinking of trying to punch through it using a straight pick and pulling out the pieces. Any better ideas?
    @M3AMI
    96 BG/Magma Lux
    Mods. Lots of Mods.

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    small craftsman flat head... stick between selector rod and seal, and push it in... then PRY it out with edge... I'll have to make a video next weekend. I have a car in the garage on jackstands with the exhaust/driveshaft out for a major overhaul.

My Cars
    96 M3 Coupe
    small craftsman flat head... stick between selector rod and seal, and push it in... then PRY it out with edge... I'll have to make a video next weekend. I have a car in the garage on jackstands with the exhaust/driveshaft out for a major overhaul.
    I did it with that and an assortment of picks to no avail. Ran out of light so I'm done for the night. In searching though I did find that plenty of people including Randy Forbes have simply installed the new seal on top of the old one, pushing the old one back further in the bore. Being that I'm wary of damaging the bore itself at this point that's the route I was planning on taking.

Edit: I'm happy to report that I was able to get the old one out. After getting the new seal in my hands and seeing the backside as well as looking at other pics in another one of Calvin's threads I was able to pry the old one out using a 90° pick.
    Last edited by Foda420; 04-23-2015 at 01:57 PM.
    @M3AMI
    96 BG/Magma Lux
    Mods. Lots of Mods.

My Cars
    98 M3 coupe 00 328 coupe

updated parts pricing

Never too old to update - great write up BTW - best photos ever
    BMW rod joint is now around $70 from dealer, $50 elsewhere - think they combined it with another version
    Foam insert inside the joint is $3.50 - trying that first.

Working on this part trying to tighten up a Bimmerworld race shifter and AKG dssr - both came in the 98 m3 I recently bought and it just seems waaaay to sloppy.
    heres a video showing the slop in the BW shifter........seems excessive to me.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    linky no worky.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    This is an old post. I did want to bring up that I did do all of the shift bushings and the selector seal without removing the exhaust. I did have the guibo put as I was replacing that and the car was on a 2 post lift which was probably the main reason it was possible.

I removed the seal by carefully screwing a wood screw into the seal and pulling out with a strange array of vice grips and cheater pipes to get leverage. The remainder of the shift bushings were not too bad, had to move the drive shaft around but that wasn't hard considering the guibo was out.

My Cars
    '07 525xi/6, '08 535xit
    I wished I'd used the screw method. I've been struggling with this for days. My transfer case was leaking so I replaced all of the seals in that. While I had out the exhaust and drive shafts I saw the selector rod seal was leaking. Of everything I've done this is the one that just sucks on ramps. I'm down to the spring. I'm sure I'll get it next try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12