Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E46 M3 - OS Giken Differential Install - Pictures

My Cars
    2006 530i and 2006 330i

Thumbs up E46 M3 - OS Giken Differential Install - Pictures

We installed the OS Giken LSD differential in 'My Tran's' stage 4 M3 and the car drives flawlessly with it. 3rd gear is now amazing even with the massive amount of power his car lays down. We hope to have some VBox comparisons at some point in the near future as the HPF stage 4 M3 is getting the OS Giken differential as well. We're hoping this differential will help all of our customers have an easier time laying the power to the ground. So far, the stage 4 M3 we tested tracks straight as an arrow. Tracking starts to be a problem at high hp levels. We didn't get a chance to do very much testing as this car is shipping out tomorrow. Hopefully My Tran can take some more footage once he gets his car back and can provide some more feedback.

For those that are interested in having us install one in their E46 M3, pricing is $1795 for the diff, $679 for the install kit, and $1000 for the install = $3474 total.

Here's a link to the OS Giken diff on our web-site ($1795). http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...Lock_LSD/14766

Here's a link to the HPF installation kit for the OS Giken differential ($679.25). http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...OS_Giken/15943

Here's some pictures of the installation

HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts
    Product questions or to purchase - sales@horsepowerfreaks.com

My Cars
    E30S50, E46, E39 M5
    How many miles between rebuilds do you anticipate? I noticed that is a clutch type LSD, and while those are far superior to viscous LSD's, they do wear out over time as all clutches do.

E46 328Ci
    Carbon Fiber Everything | BBS LM Reps | Koni FSD Eibach Pro Kit | CSL Replica Bumper & Trunklid | Haters Gonna Hate
    Frankenmotor S50 swapped E30 325is.
    Billy Sports | Eibach Pro Springs | IE 22/19 Sway kit | Supersprint Headers | Stealth Straightpipes | Ported Head | 3-Angle Valve Grind | Conforti

My Cars
    F60
    1k for install? Yikes. Do you have to machine the housings or something?
    Yes, bang it out and get that cunt moving. - Kenny

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by ReiheSechs View Post
    1k for install? Yikes. Do you have to machine the housings or something?
    Know what it takes to properly build a diff? Take that, then add R&R of the housing and $1k is about right.
    A word of Internet Forum wisdom: Disregard any advice that begins with "I've heard..."

97 M3/4 - S54, TRM Coilovers, UUC SSK/Sways/LTW Flywheel

My Cars
    F60
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuasha View Post
    Know what it takes to properly build a diff? Take that, then add R&R of the housing and $1k is about right.
    My experience is limited to installing gears, lockers, and limited slip units in solid axles to be used in rock crawlers. It doesn't seem to be too much more complicated though, besides dropping the subframe and the extra seals
    Yes, bang it out and get that cunt moving. - Kenny

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by ReiheSechs View Post
    My experience is limited to installing gears, lockers, and limited slip units in solid axles to be used in rock crawlers. It doesn't seem to be too much more complicated though, besides dropping the subframe and the extra seals
    Getting the lash set right seems to be the big differentiator. I'm sure they can tell you what all is involved.
    A word of Internet Forum wisdom: Disregard any advice that begins with "I've heard..."

97 M3/4 - S54, TRM Coilovers, UUC SSK/Sways/LTW Flywheel

My Cars
    E30S50, E46, E39 M5
    I just emailed OS Giken and they say that the E36 diffs just install as per a normal OEM diff.

E46 328Ci
    Carbon Fiber Everything | BBS LM Reps | Koni FSD Eibach Pro Kit | CSL Replica Bumper & Trunklid | Haters Gonna Hate
    Frankenmotor S50 swapped E30 325is.
    Billy Sports | Eibach Pro Springs | IE 22/19 Sway kit | Supersprint Headers | Stealth Straightpipes | Ported Head | 3-Angle Valve Grind | Conforti

My Cars
    95' M3, 98' M3/4
    Sweet! Where did you get the torque specs for the clutch pack to ring gear?

My Cars
    2000 Audi S4
    I don't mean to rain on the parade but wouldn't an outsource to diffsonline have been substantially more cost effective and with no "install kit"?

Maybe I'm just simple like that, but I've always just dealt with . . a diff. I don't know . . .

My Cars
    1998 M3
    im pretty close on biting the bullet for the osgiken lsd for my car.

My Cars
    Misc.
    How does the Giken compare to the factory M Variable?

My Cars
    m3, gtr
    Kraft Dinner for lunch?

My Cars
    2006 530i and 2006 330i
    The OS Giken differential is amazing. It has significantly improved the HPF Stage 1 Time Attack car run by Karwerkz and it really helps most of our high HP turbo kit guys keep going straight when they get into the throttle.

Chris.

HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts
    Product questions or to purchase - sales@horsepowerfreaks.com

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    Quote Originally Posted by Auraraptor View Post
    How does the Giken compare to the factory M Variable?
    subscribed for a technical answer. Isn't OS Giken somewhat new to the BMW scene but not new to LSD setups in general?

are these variable lockup units?

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    97 M3
    os giken is well known in nissan world. very expensive stuff but solid quality.

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    Quote Originally Posted by sbblowz View Post
    os giken is well known in nissan world. very expensive stuff but solid quality.
    I know, I'm interested in hearing how this is better then what we currently have available as OE and aftermarket.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by themadhatter View Post
    I know, I'm interested in hearing how this is better then what we currently have available as OE and aftermarket.
    +1

How is this different/better than say a diffsonline 3 clutch lsd?
    Garrett

My Cars
    ///M
    diffsonline is an OSG dealer/installer. Ask Dan.
    Garage sale coming soon, watch this space.

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    Quote Originally Posted by DBurke View Post
    HPF is selling a differential product in this thread, a question was asked about this product. for Dan to enter into this thread and essentially 'thread jack' the thread with answers about this and other differential products would be in poor taste, Dan would never do such a thing.

the thread was created by HPF, they introduced this product and service; I'm sure that they can and will answer the question when they have a chance. If Dan had posted the thread, we would be getting the answer from Dan and not asking HPF to chime in.

it's a simple formality that most supporting vendors respect and expect from each other on this forum.

My Cars
    none

My Cars
    ///M
    Quote Originally Posted by themadhatter View Post
    HPF is selling a differential product in this thread, a question was asked about this product. for Dan to enter into this thread and essentially 'thread jack' the thread with answers about this and other differential products would be in poor taste, Dan would never do such a thing.

the thread was created by HPF, they introduced this product and service; I'm sure that they can and will answer the question when they have a chance. If Dan had posted the thread, we would be getting the answer from Dan and not asking HPF to chime in.

it's a simple formality that most supporting vendors respect and expect from each other on this forum.
    Get a grip, seriously. The two posts prior to mine (one of which is yours) asked how it compared to a clutch type diff, the one immediately prior specifically a diffsonline unit. I did not ask Dan to enter the thread. I didn't send a PM, I didn't email, I didn't IM, not even a text or phone call. Point me to where I asked Dan to enter the thread, please.

Dan builds both types, OSG and multi clutch, is a resource that has real world experience with both, there likely isn't a person better qualified to give an answer specific to a BMW application that does participate in discussions throughout bimmerforums. How is providing a source for experienced real world, in practice, information a thread jack? There is no implication of sales so back your jack-o-meter off hyper sensitive homeslice.
    Garage sale coming soon, watch this space.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    I wouldn't bother dan with the question unless I was interested in buying another diff from him, which I'm not. The 3.64 he built me seems about ideal for my set-up and the car hooks-up quite nicely w/ 255 R-comps.

My interest/curiosity is purely academic in nature.
    Garrett

My Cars
    Cmod/GTS4 M3,E92 M3
    Just upgraded as well to a OS Giken diff,,, will know in a few weeks how much of a difference it makes...

My Cars
    ///M
    Article that centers on the OSG, parts and adjustments.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ferential.aspx

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    Get a grip, seriously. The two posts prior to mine (one of which is yours) asked how it compared to a clutch type diff, the one immediately prior specifically a diffsonline unit. I did not ask Dan to enter the thread. I didn't send a PM, I didn't email, I didn't IM, not even a text or phone call. Point me to where I asked Dan to enter the thread, please.

Dan builds both types, OSG and multi clutch, is a resource that has real world experience with both, there likely isn't a person better qualified to give an answer specific to a BMW application that does participate in discussions throughout bimmerforums. How is providing a source for experienced real world, in practice, information a thread jack? There is no implication of sales so back your jack-o-meter off hyper sensitive homeslice.
    Burke,

my initial question was asking the vendor how this was better, if Dan had made the thread, we would have been asking Dan. My own differential is a Diffsonline product, a competitor is advertising their wares and I want to know what makes it different....provided by an answer from this vendor, you know...the one presenting this product in this very thread.

my post regarding the formalities of the forum may be more then what you wanted to hear but that is no reason to post a tirade. you may want to now take your own advice and take a few steps back away from your keyboard and take a breather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast