Thread: What did you do to your e36 today?

My Cars
    96 328is x 96 328i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    I autocrossed mine today. Beat more people than I had any right to. The course was well set up for the M3 with more high speed sweepers than normal and a few slaloms where the narrowness of the e36 chassis shines.

Car ran great. The lower bolt of the alternator fell out and started to ting against the fan. Didn't cause any damage or cause any belt issues. I fixed the pin arrangement when I got home.

I'm looking forward to the ground control street camber plates I have on order.
    Glad you got to enjoy the track bit before the problem occurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    I autocrossed mine today. Beat more people than I had any right to. The course was well set up for the M3 with more high speed sweepers than normal and a few slaloms where the narrowness of the e36 chassis shines.

Car ran great. The lower bolt of the alternator fell out and started to ting against the fan. Didn't cause any damage or cause any belt issues. I fixed the pin arrangement when I got home.

I'm looking forward to the ground control street camber plates I have on order.
    Ironic.. Ive had that happen before too..the bolt, not the beat everyone on the autox. Lolol.
    I also had the lower power steering mount bolt come loose.. Hmm
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    96 328is x 96 328i Vert
    So power steering started making noise this morning on the way to work. Then got to work and it was just whining like a 2 year old with no Cheerios. Figured it was just low and I go to check it’s about 3 inches down from the cap opening so definitely low. Just out of curiosity I put my finger and touch the fluid. Rub the fingers definitely wasn’t thick and definitely wasn’t red. So previous owner definitely used normal power steering fluid. Now can I top off with power steering fluid until I flush this weekend?????

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Quote Originally Posted by E36xJeweler View Post
    So power steering started making noise this morning on the way to work. Then got to work and it was just whining like a 2 year old with no Cheerios. Figured it was just low and I go to check it’s about 3 inches down from the cap opening so definitely low. Just out of curiosity I put my finger and touch the fluid. Rub the fingers definitely wasn’t thick and definitely wasn’t red. So previous owner definitely used normal power steering fluid. Now can I top off with power steering fluid until I flush this weekend?????

I wouldnt. Low is ok. Empty is when the pump gets trouble. It seems as though the current mix isnt killing things. If you addmore red, it may trip the reaction and turn to gel everywhere in the system. I also wouldnt run it anymore until you can drain it. Your going to have to flush the rack. Thats where the majority of the gunk resides. That was my mistake, not flushing the rack after mixing fluids. Use any flush stuff you can find on the shelf for steering flush.

My Cars
    96 328is x 96 328i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    I wouldnt. Low is ok. Empty is when the pump gets trouble. It seems as though the current mix isnt killing things. If you addmore red, it may trip the reaction and turn to gel everywhere in the system. I also wouldnt run it anymore until you can drain it. Your going to have to flush the rack. Thats where the majority of the gunk resides. That was my mistake, not flushing the rack after mixing fluids. Use any flush stuff you can find on the shelf for steering flush.
    So tow it home. The bad constant whine and pumping didn’t occur until I got here to work. It’s to the point where I don’t need to turn the steering wheel to here loud pumping and whine.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    So tow it home. The bad constant whine and pumping didn’t occur until I got here to work. It’s to the point where I don’t need to turn the steering wheel to here loud pumping and whine.

If the fluid was gray.. Thats not a mix of fluids that metel from the propeller shaft/bearing eating away. And id still advise the same.. Except to not drive it. The flakes also destroy racks.

My Cars
    96 328is x 96 328i Vert
    If the fluid was gray.. Thats not a mix of fluids that metel from the propeller shaft/bearing eating away. And id still advise the same.. Except to not drive it. The flakes also destroy racks.
    Fluid is just clear like normal power steering fluid clear no signs of mixture from metals.

My Cars
    96 328is x 96 328i Vert
    Lunch time turned my car on to check and not a single sound not a single noise, mishap. Go to turn steering wheels it’s still bitter and not a single noise.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows

Lunch time turned my car on to check and not a single sound not a single noise, mishap. Go to turn steering wheels it’s still bitter and not a single noise.

Bitter? Like no power? Or better?
    Deff a strange one. Probably a sihn of something about to go to crap tho..

- - - Updated - - -

I stopped to drop off some more randome exterior pieces to the body shop.. He opologized for taking so long to get to it. But he should get to it this week.. Kinda releived, kinda not releived.. Machine shop gave me the same sort of responce. "Maybe il get to it this weekend"... Like guy.... Im paying you.. With cash... Maybe its not a high cost job, bit its still cash.. All the more to just get it over, make money, amd be done.. Why wont anyone just take my money? I should be putting this thing together last week. Lololol

My Cars
    96 328is x 96 328i Vert
    Bitter? Like no power? Or better?
    Deff a strange one. Probably a sihn of something about to go to crap tho..

- - - Updated - - -

I stopped to drop off some more randome exterior pieces to the body shop.. He opologized for taking so long to get to it. But he should get to it this week.. Kinda releived, kinda not releived.. Machine shop gave me the same sort of responce. "Maybe il get to it this weekend"... Like guy.... Im paying you.. With cash... Maybe its not a high cost job, bit its still cash.. All the more to just get it over, make money, amd be done.. Why wont anyone just take my money? I should be putting this thing together last week. Lololol
    Better** but yeah definitely odd and you sure are right it’s definitely the calm before the storm

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Glad you got to enjoy the track bit before the problem occurred.

It didn't even stop me from racing honestly. Just pulled the bolt out and my brother and I ran another 10 runs on it as a dual driver car and drove it 30 minutes home.

Ironic.. Ive had that happen before too..the bolt, not the beat everyone on the autox. Lolol.
    I also had the lower power steering mount bolt come loose.. Hmm
    Interesting. I had a power steering stud back out of the block on the e39 M5 I used to own. It made the most unfortunate noises as the power steering pulley would rub against the idler above it every time it was revved. Luckily the stud and nut were in the under tray. Some loctite and a wrench, and all was good again.

My brother and I are putting Ground Control street camber plates in it this weekend. The next autocross will feature much more front end grip.

My Cars
    96 328is x 96 328i Vert
    Driving home from work I smelt coolant. Temps were fine smell went away( 5 mins of driving) get to my buddies house popped to hood and the fan had sliced through my expansion tank hose. No clue as how that happened but thank god I had my other E36 at his place and just swapped it over. I also installed my NEW old rear diffuser that came in the mail today after a 2 month wait from shipments in Jordan. (Ac Schnitzer Non M)

My Cars
    Turbo E36, V8 E39
    About 2 weeks ago

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    96 328is x 96 328i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by usherboy83 View Post
    About 2 weeks ago

Car is ok. Nothing happened to you right?

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    @ Usherboy83: Can this be economically repaired? I mean anything is repairable with enough money, but what will you do with it?
    Last edited by samy01; 07-10-2020 at 11:57 PM.

My Cars
    96 328is x 96 328i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by samy01 View Post
    Can this be economically repaired?
    It seems that way.

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    What do you mean? I just see a damaged car, he didn't say anything about a repair.

My Cars
    96 328is x 96 328i Vert
    What do you mean? I just see a damaged car, he didn't say anything about a repair.
    Was just agreeing with you

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Im guessinggggh. $250 for the quarter. $150 for the rear fin section. $300 for the trunk. $400 for the body work and paint. Nnot including mechanical work.

My Cars
    Turbo E36, V8 E39
    Car is ok. Nothing happened to you right?

Im fine. Had a little whiplash but some muscle relaxers and rest took care of that. Appreciate you asking!!

My Cars
    Turbo E36, V8 E39
    @ Usherboy83: Can this be economically repaired? I mean anything is repairable with enough money, but what will you do with it?
    The car is turbocharged, 600whp, and the rear frame is bent under the trunk. I dont want it fixed, wont trust it with the power, and the plan was to go for 850whp. Got totaled out. 5k worth of damage.

Last edited by usherboy83; 07-11-2020 at 12:45 AM.

My Cars
    96 328is x 96 328i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by usherboy83 View Post
    Im fine. Had a little whiplash but some muscle relaxers and rest took care of that. Appreciate you asking!!

Good to hear!!! Cars can be totaled and days goes on people can’t.

My Cars
    96 328is x 96 328i Vert
    Checked my emails late but guess my parts were already delivered. Lollipops and complete tie rod assembly

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    Im guessinggggh. $250 for the quarter. $150 for the rear fin section. $300 for the trunk. $400 for the body work and paint. Nnot including mechanical work.
    You mean material cost? Is that whole section between the taillight and the wheel, that is bent now, replacable by cutting it out and welding in a new one? I've never seen anyone do that. I guess that would be very expensive to have that done professionally so no one would see that there was a damage.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    You mean material cost? Is that whole section between the taillight and the wheel, that is bent now, replacable by cutting it out and welding in a new one? I've never seen anyone do that. I guess that would be very expensive to have that done professionally so no one would see that there was a damage.
    Its not anything unheard of. Probably alot more common when the cars were a few years old. Now the only ppl that do it are guys that cant find another chassis and are invested in parts and time, or have sentimental value.
    Ive replaced rear tail sections and quarters on e36 and e46 cars a couple of times. As long as you can find good donar panels, its not as crazy of a repair as ppl think. Comparably in labor time, its as in depth as pulling motor trans and rear subframe. So its deep, but its nothing thats reserved for only proffessionals.. (Besides the welding work and finishing if you want it clean)

Page 694 of 707 FirstFirst ... 194594644669684685686687688689690691692693694695696697698699700701702703704 ... LastLast