Thread: What did you do to your e36 today?

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by tvcasualty View Post
    I think I need to rig something similar for the next one cause that balljoint press is heavy and awkward. I have another bad one so...this week.
    The larger the threaded rod the better, I have a collection of pipe fittings I use for pressing. I've got a harbor freight front wheel bearing kit that might have some smaller cups and dies but the threaded piece is too large for the bushings and ball joints for these control arms.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    2011 335xi
    I have that same wheel bearing press kit and found that 3/8" rod will fit through the RTABs at least, not sure about any others just yet. I'll find out this Saturday.

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    Ruined my car today. Well temporarily. Installed Condor Speed Shop UMHW solid motor and trans mounts and......they are gnarly in a not good way. I think the trans mounts are the culprits gonna try something softer there first. Above 3500 rpm the car feels like its gonna vibrate apart. I wouldnt even want that in a race car every nut and bolt would come loose by the third lap I dont get it. Lesson learned.

Attempted to install my Condor treehouse style FCABs and they wont fit.......No matter what I did couldnt get it to line up either their parts are wrong or my Oreillys arms are bent differently... Stock with rubber fits fine theres enough give to line up. Gonna call COndor tomorrow and see what they think and prob order the softer poly trans mounts too

UMHW takes a while to break in, like any poly material. People use solid aluminum (or delrin in my case) mounts all the time as well.... vibes occur at constant speeds, not something race cars worry about honestly. I have my low mile set of UUC blacks w/ enforcer cups sitting in my parts pile if you want to try those out.

Also, it took me 3+ hours with a BFH, to put my Condor FCABs on when I had them. It was not fun at all under a car only as high as jack stands... but the effort was well worth the steering feel/improvements. I have found that having the specialty tools for these jobs is worth having on hand, or you run into issues like these.
    Last edited by Team Neverlift; 06-18-2018 at 12:38 PM.

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5, 85' 944
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Neverlift View Post
    UMHW takes a while to break in, like any poly material. People use solid aluminum (or delrin in my case) mounts all the time as well.... vibes occur at constant speeds, not something race cars worry about honestly. I have my low mile set of UUC blacks w/ enforcer cups sitting in my parts pile if you want to try those out.

Also, it took me 3+ hours with a BFH, to put my Condor FCABs on when I had them. It was not fun at all under a car only as high as jack stands... but the effort was well worth the steering feel/improvements. I have found that having the specialty tools for these jobs is worth having on hand, or you run into issues like these.

I was expecting some vibration but at 3500-4000k rpm and up it feels like a driveshaft severely out of balance. Im almost wondering if there is something wrong with the car the rubber mounts was masking. The vibes at idle and up to about 4k dont bother me.

Did you have the Condor stock lollipop inserts or the eyeball mounts like these?

I thought about beating them till they fit but it doesnt seem to me they would have designed em that way.

Bummed cause thats what I was looking forward to putting on the most. With teh spherical RTABs and X brace the car is getting a lot closer to where i want it.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Figured out what was clunking in the front end. Looks like the alignment shop installed the camber plate assembly over the lip of the strut tower reinforcement plate. I'm thinking this out extra stress on the bushing sleeve that holds the spherical bearing, and so it finally popped out.

I'm glad I only did one autocross event like this and the next one isn't for a few weeks. Gonna have to the press at my father's shop this weekend and find an aligent shop open on a weekend before the next event.

Race
    Break
    Repair
    Repeat

I guess, right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5, 85' 944
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    Figured out what was clunking in the front end. Looks like the alignment shop installed the camber plate assembly over the lip of the strut tower reinforcement plate. I'm thinking this out extra stress on the bushing sleeve that holds the spherical bearing, and so it finally popped out.

I'm glad I only did one autocross event like this and the next one isn't for a few weeks. Gonna have to the press at my father's shop this weekend and find an aligent shop open on a weekend before the next event.

Race
    Break
    Repair
    Repeat

I guess, right?

What kinda noise were you hearing and when?? I wonder if mine is the same way ever since I got my car aligned the front clunks I havent been able to figure out why. Mine are TC Kline camber plates too.

the car still felt fine despite the annoying noises so I just kinda ignored it.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    What kinda noise were you hearing and when?? I wonder if mine is the same way ever since I got my car aligned the front clunks I havent been able to figure out why. Mine are TC Kline camber plates too.

the car still felt fine despite the annoying noises so I just kinda ignored it.
    A clunk over slight bumps or divots in the road. Also when turning from lock to lock where I was moving or stationary.

Sounded like a bad ball joint or end link (which use mini ball joints).

Essentially the shock was loose and being held in place by the opening of the bearing carrier. I was able to shake the shock around with the wheels off the ground.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325I
    yesterday i installed my new cross drilled and slotted rotors, sensors and ceramic pads on the yard car. coil overs come in tomorrow for it so hopefully thursday i can install those. is so much nicer to have brakes that dont shake your brains out.

as for the wifes car, rads almost out but i cant remember how i dealt with the cooler attached to it. also the heater core is almost out. just no time to work on it. yay...... all this on top of moving. FML......
    2 Brilliant Red 1993 BMW 325i Sedans. identical except interior color
    1 1982 320i in cypress green.

My Cars
    98 323IC
    First manual...learning to drive the 5 Speed!

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuttydave View Post
    First manual...learning to drive the 5 Speed!

Congrats! Practice feathering the clutch into first and reverse without using the accelerator pedal. It'll teach you about clutch sensitivity and engagement points. After that it becomes second nature real quick.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325I
    500 mile round trip yesterday and not one problem in the yard car. ran like a champ and according to the OBC, 29mpg. even if thats off by a few its still great.

also received my new coilovers. cant wait to install them
    2 Brilliant Red 1993 BMW 325i Sedans. identical except interior color
    1 1982 320i in cypress green.

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Got my refreshed 3.91 LSD installed. Thayer Motorsports 3 clutch upgrade, new bolts and seals. Went together mostly okay- some difficulty getting everything aligned. Still haven't gotten it onto the ground to test, but its spinning okay in the air.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Put in a new Air Filter (Got the one with the foam pre-filter) and cleaned my MAF sensor. I thought the car ran good before, but there is a big difference in throttle response and it got rid of the very slight occasional fluctuation on idle. Highly recommended.

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5, 85' 944
    Swapped out my Condor UMHW tranny mounts for their 70A poly mounts. Definitely a big difference after a week i was almost getting used to the vibes.

also deleted that traction control nonsense the other day

Last edited by tvcasualty; 06-24-2018 at 09:53 AM.

My Cars
    1997 328i c M trim
    Finished the M52 engine seat to the vert -it fired right up with no issue except a squeak in the belt
    All those new parts I should have bought a belt dumb ass me . $500 on ebay from localseller 126k on the motor. Still more reassembly but the hard part is over . Took me about 36 working hours start to finish. Bagged and tagged every bolt an it made it way easy to reassemble.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    This car is AWESOME !!!

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Went out to install my OBD Fusion Veepeak adapter and found I had a dead battery, only showed 9+v. Sure hope it was from the radar detector being left on for 4 days. I really don't want to chase a parasitic draw.

My Cars
    Turbo E36, V8 E39
    Quote Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
    Went out to install my OBD Fusion Veepeak adapter and found I had a dead battery, only showed 9+v. Sure hope it was from the radar detector being left on for 4 days. I really don't want to chase a parasitic draw.

Last drove my car 2 weeks ago, but started it monday. Went to drive it today, seemed to have dead battery, took a bit to start, and everything reset like the battery actually died. When i was rebuilding my turbo and painting a few body panels it was down 5 weeks and the battery completely died.....

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by usherboy83 View Post
    Last drove my car 2 weeks ago, but started it monday. Went to drive it today, seemed to have dead battery, took a bit to start, and everything reset like the battery actually died. When i was rebuilding my turbo and painting a few body panels it was down 5 weeks and the battery completely died.....

Had it on the charger a good share of the day, checked it after a few hours and it's at about 12.3v. I'll check in the morning, I did start it earlier and it was charging at about 13.9v so I know the alternator is good.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
    Had it on the charger a good share of the day, checked it after a few hours and it's at about 12.3v. I'll check in the morning, I did start it earlier and it was charging at about 13.9v so I know the alternator is good.

Checked again this morning it's at 12.2v, I think I'm good.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Just got done putting an 87°C thermostat in. Been having concerns about high operating temps via my OBD Fusion app and my aftermarket temp gauge. Temps have been in the 210° to 213°F range with a stock 92°C thermostat. After a refill and bleed I'm showing right around 200°F. 87°C should be 188°F. Here are the guages from before, didn't take any afters.20180626_111113.jpgScreenshot_20180626-111008.jpg

My Cars
    325i porsche944
    today on my vacation i swapped the hood struts and changed oil and filter for the first time ( used car ). and i was impressed with the quality of the car and suspension and parts in general.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3/2/5
    Drove to work and my diff went. It's been clunking for a while, sounds like a blender with metal in it. Might try to limp it home from work... hopefully I don't get stranded

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3/2/5
    Ordered an upgraded front diff bolt and a new front bushing from bimmerworld. I couldn't find the front bushing on fcp or pelican so I opted for bimmerworld. I upgraded to second day air since the parts were in stock as of yesterday, got an email right before they closed to say it will ship next week. Re authorized my card with a sales rep there and went with powerflex front bushing since it would ship faster. Never got a response and they aren't open on the weekends. Excellent!

My Cars
    E36 and e90
    Got her cleaned up - bought an e90- just a bit nicer but no 5 speed

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3/2/5
    Heat index was 105 today!! Got my differential pulled, was able to drill out the front diff bushing out of its bracket with a hole saw attachment. My front diff bolt sheared inside the diff so I had to tap, drill and extract and luckily I had a tap and die that matched the threads to clean everything up. All in all it was a pretty quick job but I am dog tired now

Last edited by AlpineM3OldAsMe; 07-02-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Page 654 of 707 FirstFirst ... 154554604629644645646647648649650651652653654655656657658659660661662663664679704 ... LastLast