Thread: What did you do to your e36 today?

My Cars
    99 323Ci, 98328i verts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch500 View Post
    Where do I get that machine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how Amazon works for you guys, but here's the item......

https://www.amazon.com/Redline-Detec.../dp/B00DPI31N2

Oh, and figured out my engine hoist balance issue. Was tilting too far to the passenger side, like 20-30 degrees, enough that I wasnt sure that I wasnt going to be smacking the using the front point and the rear point, letting the rear chain pivot around the bolt. Set it back down, tightened the bolt so the chain sits towards the intake, and that 2 inch change in lift point gets the engine only about 2-3 degrees off upright. This is with the trans attached, ans measuring upright using the top of the trans.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Bill837; 06-18-2017 at 06:29 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch500 View Post
    Where do I get that machine?

We just happened to have one in the shop, but I'm sure you can get it online

My Cars
    2011 335xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill837 View Post
    Not sure how Amazon works for you guys, but here's the item......

https://www.amazon.com/Redline-Detec.../dp/B00DPI31N2

Oh, and figured out my engine hoist balance issue. Was tilting too far to the passenger side, like 20-30 degrees, enough that I wasnt sure that I wasnt going to be smacking the using the front point and the rear point, letting the rear chain pivot around the bolt. Set it back down, tightened the bolt so the chain sits towards the intake, and that 2 inch change in lift point gets the engine only about 2-3 degrees off upright. This is with the trans attached, ans measuring upright using the top of the trans.
    Here I was thinking: "awesome, I'm gonna snag one." Damn, almost $900.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
    Here I was thinking: "awesome, I'm gonna snag one." Damn, almost $900.
    Do it the old fashioned way. Have someone lightly blow cigarette smoke into areas you think you may have a leak. If it sucks it in, there's your leak.

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    Do it the old fashioned way. Have someone lightly blow cigarette smoke into areas you think you may have a leak. If it sucks it in, there's your leak.
    Cigarettes? Nah dude. Its 2017. Gotta get a sick vape and blow clouds bro man. Just ask one of your Subaru friends.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Just passed the Japanese Shaken test for the next 2 years. Shaken = the name of the vehicle inspection program in Japan. In total I had to pay almost $1000 for
    Paperwork fee
    Inspection fee
    Compulsory vehicle insurance
    Vehicle weight tax

The process of the shaken involves these steps:
    exterior inspection to ensure the vehicle meets Japanese exterior regulations and does not have illegal exterior modifications such as extreme body kits that increase the exterior dimensions.
    wheel alignment inspection to ensure the vehicle has its wheels in-line and can turn correctly. That is automatically done while I drive over the test stand
    speedometer inspection to ensure the vehicle's speedometer is accurate. Had to accelerate to 40 km/h twice and the vehicle's speedometer reading will be recorded
    headlamp inspection to ensure that the vehicle's headlights are correctly placed and aligned. Headlights must emit white or yellow light, and be aimed correctly
    brake inspection / test to ensure the brakes work correctly.
    exhaust gas inspection which includes testing carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions along with exhaust noise levels. All oxygen sensors must be in working order, exhaust noise is tested.
    undercarriage inspection which includes looking at suspension parts. No bushings broken or in bad condition. All control arms must be in working order. No rust/corrosion on springs, struts or other suspension components. vehicle must also meet minimum height requirements which will be checked by referencing the lowest part of the vehicle (not including the suspension components). For vehicles with 200–249 cm wheelbase they must be 8 cm off the ground and vehicles with 250–299 cm wheelbase they must be 9 cm off the ground. For all other vehicles for every 50 cm over 299 cm in wheelbase add .5 cm to the minimum height and for vehicles under 200 cm in wheelbase subtract .5 cm to the minimum height.
    Also some other strange things are checked, for example the window washwater system must be working, electric windows must work and that is tested.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '94 325i, '93 325is
    My car would be long since scrapped before trying to meet all of those rules...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Just passed the Japanese Shaken test for the next 2 years. Shaken = the name of the vehicle inspection program in Japan. In total I had to pay almost $1000 for
    Paperwork fee
    Inspection fee
    Compulsory vehicle insurance
    Vehicle weight tax

The process of the shaken involves these steps:
    exterior inspection to ensure the vehicle meets Japanese exterior regulations and does not have illegal exterior modifications such as extreme body kits that increase the exterior dimensions.
    wheel alignment inspection to ensure the vehicle has its wheels in-line and can turn correctly. That is automatically done while I drive over the test stand
    speedometer inspection to ensure the vehicle's speedometer is accurate. Had to accelerate to 40 km/h twice and the vehicle's speedometer reading will be recorded
    headlamp inspection to ensure that the vehicle's headlights are correctly placed and aligned. Headlights must emit white or yellow light, and be aimed correctly
    brake inspection / test to ensure the brakes work correctly.
    exhaust gas inspection which includes testing carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions along with exhaust noise levels. All oxygen sensors must be in working order, exhaust noise is tested.
    undercarriage inspection which includes looking at suspension parts. No bushings broken or in bad condition. All control arms must be in working order. No rust/corrosion on springs, struts or other suspension components. vehicle must also meet minimum height requirements which will be checked by referencing the lowest part of the vehicle (not including the suspension components). For vehicles with 200–249 cm wheelbase they must be 8 cm off the ground and vehicles with 250–299 cm wheelbase they must be 9 cm off the ground. For all other vehicles for every 50 cm over 299 cm in wheelbase add .5 cm to the minimum height and for vehicles under 200 cm in wheelbase subtract .5 cm to the minimum height.
    Also some other strange things are checked, for example the window washwater system must be working, electric windows must work and that is tested.
    '94 325i Sedan, Arctic Gray: UUC LTW FW, EVO 3 and DSSR, +.020 Maxsil pistons, ASC delete, Eibach shocks/springs, 16" contour reps 238k
    '93 325is Coupe, Schwarz, work beater 299k
    '89 325i Vert, Alpine White: 5spd swapped. Sold
    '04 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD, In progress swapping to M50/G250, http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index...nna-25i-build/
    '05 Volvo V70 R, 6mt, mostly stock, kid hauler 200k Sold
    '85 Toyota LandCruiser: Lifted, gas hog. 205k

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    all these things get checked in switzerland too.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Changed my brake fluid today, only needed my torch for one bleed screw. So easy with my power bleeder. I also made it possible to never be able to change the left front tire with the factory jack. I bought a Schwaben jack pad adapter from ECS last week and didn't have a problem when I tried it out, other than knocking a whole bunch of rust out of the LF pocket. Today it wouldn't go all the way in and I tried lifting anyway. I'm assuming part of the tube broke loose and the car came down, no casualties, just had a hard time getting the adapter out. I'm going to start carrying an old GM jack, wide base ratchet action and lift from the spots where the jack stands go.
    Last edited by jmo69; 06-20-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    Quote Originally Posted by samy01 View Post
    all these things get checked in switzerland too.
    I wish they would get stricter in the states. Average person in Europe (last I knew) passed the driver's test on the third try.

Here we have brain donors passing first time.

And the cars! I'm no tree hugger but if the back of your OBD-II car is black from running rich and/or burning oil, you should not pass emissions testing. Fix it instead of buying stick on hood scoops for God's sake!

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Nice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '94 325i, '93 325is
    Installed gen3 EV6 injectors on my '93 325is. Cream colored from a Ford 2.5 in the Contour, Cougar, and Mistique, Bosch # 0280155771. Rated at 17lb/hr @3 bar. That calculates to 18.36/lb hr @ 3.5 bar. Compared to my stock ones at 17.5 @3.5 the difference is less than 5%. My logic was if stock injector flow matching spec is to be within 5% then a flow matched to within 2% set that is less than 5% higher should be well within the adaptation range for the ECU. This is a beater with 270K+ miles on it, so although I don't want to blow it up, it is a good platform to test stuff on.

I knew my originals were not in great shape, rough starts and intermittently weak pulls. These new ones were refurbs from ebay for 65$ for the whole set. They plugged right in and the stock clips seem to prevent them from pulling out of the fuel rail. It runs smoother and starts better. Time will tell whether fuel economy improves.

'94 325i Sedan, Arctic Gray: UUC LTW FW, EVO 3 and DSSR, +.020 Maxsil pistons, ASC delete, Eibach shocks/springs, 16" contour reps 238k
    '93 325is Coupe, Schwarz, work beater 299k
    '89 325i Vert, Alpine White: 5spd swapped. Sold
    '04 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD, In progress swapping to M50/G250, http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index...nna-25i-build/
    '05 Volvo V70 R, 6mt, mostly stock, kid hauler 200k Sold
    '85 Toyota LandCruiser: Lifted, gas hog. 205k

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    I bought a radar detector for it. Does that count?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Is that an SMG? The e36 m3 SMG never came with paddles, correct?

My Cars
    99 323Ci, 98328i verts
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    I bought a radar detector for it. Does that count?

Only if you put it in the car today.....

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill837 View Post
    Only if you put it in the car today.....
    Fair enough, then no.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by th3turk View Post
    Is that an SMG? The e36 m3 SMG never came with paddles, correct?
    Correct. That's why this wasn't plug n play, but pioneering from A - Z and took me 4 months, including trips to dealers to check out different wheels with paddles and first testing everything on an old M wheel.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Does the glove box count?

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    96 328i, 92 318i
    I picked up my exhaust gasket and some goodies from the local BMW dealership this morning.

Then oogled the eye candy.

I'm happy with my E36 though lol.

My Cars
    94 325i, 95 M3, 1997 325
    on the m3 build. Finishing replacing the gaskets on the s52 and get it ready to de grease and start assembly. Also re installed newly recovered sunroof insert and headliner.

on the track car. Prepping exhaust bolts so can try to bang on zf trans swap in a night
    Washedit1 by thedude60526, on Flickr
    11/10's Racing
    94 325i #36/64 TEAM PENISTON OILS/ LARSENS BISCUITS

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Finally got my Euro Bosch headlights in. Bought them from a forum member, and I thought they came with harness adapters. They didn't, and now its another $40 and a week to get the harness here. Not super happy about that, but at least they look cool.

Untitled by Michael Slevin, on Flickr

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    Picked up some front rotors to hold me over until all of the new e46 brake parts arrive. 2 weeks until the next track event...

My Cars
    BMW M3
    gonna do some exterior maintenence, car wash, wax etc

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Car is in the air while i figure out to drop subframe for bushing refresh. Think ive gor it down too: e - brake lines, brake cables, speed senors, then unbolt trailing arms then rear shocks (not necessarily in that order).

Either way while its in the air and i study, ive ripped my wheels apart for a refinish.

Centers getting powder coated, sending hardware off to get plated, re-barreling my fronts for a wider square set up and polishing all lips :P

Page 598 of 707 FirstFirst ... 98498548573588589590591592593594595596597598599600601602603604605606607608623648698 ... LastLast