Thread: What did you do to your e36 today?

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanniepoo View Post
    Anyone know if this panel is supposed to be glued on? Or clips? Realoem shows the entire panel as one piece it looks like.

Bumped it loading some stuff into the back at Home Depot. Now flaps around if I take a corner too quick.

Adhesive recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from the dark side of the Moon
    Try the Weldwood high temp spray adhesive, used it for my headliner last year. Available at Home Depot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    New Mann air filter and replaced the PO's NGK BKR6EQUP plugs with NGK BKR6Es. It's amazing what a difference that less than $30 in tune up parts can make.

My Cars
    1998 328iC, 2006 330Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Silenced View Post
    Thanks. E36's always have 2, this is just a simple mod I wanted to try. All I did was take the drivers side wiper arm and put it on the passenger side with a 26" blade.
    Thanks! Mine only came with the center one. So I’m not sure if this was a mod the previous owner did or if the drivers side one just went missing before I got it. Some body trim went missing, so it’s possible some one swiped it I guess. I’ll probably be putting a second one back on.

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    Giving it a wash and putting it on the battery tender... this will be its last day as the DD.

An E53 X5 has been sourced to take over DD duties immediately, and towing duties in the future.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Neverlift View Post
    Giving it a wash and putting it on the battery tender... this will be its last day as the DD.

An E53 X5 has been sourced to take over DD duties immediately, and towing duties in the future.
    3.0 or 4.4? Just curious how well these SUVs tow.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    I have an E70, and from what I've heard the 35d with adaptive drive is an absolute dream for towing.

We have a 4.8 but the hitch and harness have been sitting in my garage since January. Need to give the transmission a little TLC first.

Sent from the dark side of the Moon

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    My door handle [the only working one on my vert] finally failed. I was getting desperate after searching for a handle, to get in my car.
    Luckily I looked and stared at the OEM parts list and figured out how to get into my unlocked car without breaking window, with minimal tools and without damaging anything. Now I can take care of repairing the door handles so they operate from the outside. #WSHEW!!
    http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=13792
    * E39 M5 SterlingGray -RIP 11/2018
    * E36 328 vert Schwarz - ~TurboProject underway
    * E90 335i Sedan MonocoBlau - Daily ToddlerTaxi

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    All of them have the same towing capacity, as the chassis, suspension, brakes, and cooling are the important aspects of towing safely.

They are all rated to 6,000lbs. An aluminum open trailer + track car & tools should come in around 5,000lbs. Real world first hand experience will be a while on my end.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Adjusted the parking brake.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325I
    Bought a matched spare for my yard car. Now I have 5 LTWs in case I blow a tire.
    2 Brilliant Red 1993 BMW 325i Sedans. identical except interior color
    1 1982 320i in cypress green.

My Cars
    E36 320i '91
    Fixed passenger side window.
    One of those white guide blocks snapped and the window fell out of one guide rail.
    First time taking a door panel off, kinda scary.

Also found out the car is apparently pre wired for the 2 hifi door speakers, even though it came out of the factory without radio/speakers.

My Cars
    1997 328i c M trim
    Quote Originally Posted by Luth View Post
    Fixed passenger side window.
    One of those white guide blocks snapped and the window fell out of one guide rail.
    First time taking a door panel off, kinda scary.

Also found out the car is apparently pre wired for the 2 hifi door speakers, even though it came out of the factory without radio/speakers.
    Funny yesterday one of these snapped on my passenger's door of my vert.
    I guess it's a balance thing one is fixed and another breaks
    Might as well re glue while I have the panel off

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    This car is AWESOME !!!

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Finished the 5 Speed swap on my E39, So the E36 got pulled back into the OR for some TLC. Things seemed to be getting Stale in here... :Shifty

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Claybar and wax job.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Looks good.

I gotta do that to mine. Got over spray on mine, like a fool.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Took a Custy this weekend, and ended up doing quite a bit to this 300k + Mile Estoril M3 today

Full Drive Shaft Refresh, CSB + Giubo + Centering Bushing

Then a shifter overhaul. Z3 Lever with DSSR (looks like garastic) + new Carrier arm bushing, and all new clips etc..

DSSR Pictured upside down here (kink must point up to clear Drive Shaft)

plus a new rod Joint

Lastly New Poly Trans Mounts. The OEM had completely Sheared in two and there was actually no physical connection from the Trans to the brace lol

The DSSR is Soooo crisp, really making me want one...
    Last edited by Thrifty S50; 07-29-2018 at 03:04 AM.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Mounted a Renown 100 Motorsport wheel. Found it second hand with a Momo hub adapter for $135. Not bad if I don't say so myself.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    Mounted a Renown 100 Motorsport wheel. Found it second hand with a Momo hub adapter for $135. Not bad if I don't say so myself.

That looks good, I think I might get a Renown wheel to replace my suede Momo. I tried to restore the suede but its too far gone by this point, its also been restored several times in the past so I doubt it'll come back to original. I think I'll adapt the old wheel to my simulator so it can still serve a purpose.
    The new stock from Renown should be available in a couple weeks, they're out of 100 Motorsports at the moment.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328ic
    Changed the hood struts so the hood holds itself up

My Cars
    1998 328i

Assembled and used my homebrew oil extractor

Changed my oil without getting under the car.

I need to take some pictures of the contraption, but I made a vacuum oil extractor out of and old air tank I had laying around. There are many ways to do it but all you really need is a tank that won't collapse that is bigger than your car's oil capacity. The tank had several NPT holes in it already, the only difficulty was making a fitting to screw into a 3/4" bung with a 1/4" hose barb on both sides. You need to a tube inside of the tank to force the oil to settle at the bottom rather than atomizing and getting into your vacuum line. I use a $16 harbor freight venture vacuum pump.

Polyethylene tubing works great, slides down the dip stick tube smoothly and doesn't collapse under vacuum.

You can buy them that are hand operated or pneumatic for around $70-150, but I had most of the pieces laying around. With the BMW's cartridge style oil filter it makes it really nice to change the oil without having to get under the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    99 323Ci, 98328i verts
    Quote Originally Posted by gdavid View Post
    Changed my oil without getting under the car.

I need to take some pictures of the contraption, but I made a vacuum oil extractor out of and old air tank I had laying around. There are many ways to do it but all you really need is a tank that won't collapse that is bigger than your car's oil capacity. The tank had several NPT holes in it already, the only difficulty was making a fitting to screw into a 3/4" bung with a 1/4" hose barb on both sides. You need to a tube inside of the tank to force the oil to settle at the bottom rather than atomizing and getting into your vacuum line. I use a $16 harbor freight venture vacuum pump.

Polyethylene tubing works great, slides down the dip stick tube smoothly and doesn't collapse under vacuum.

You can buy them that are hand operated or pneumatic for around $70-150, but I had most of the pieces laying around. With the BMW's cartridge style oil filter it makes it really nice to change the oil without having to get under the car.

I bought the HF model a couple weeks back, love it.

Me, I finally got around to working on the exhaust, bolting the pieces of the aftermarket (unknown name) system together, slapped it up there, couldnt get it to fit, went to REALOEM which I should have done from the start, discovered the twi missing pieces. Got those, got the middle loosely bolted up with those, went to do the back brackets, got the one mostly done, OWWWW, friken wasp to the right elbow. though he had come from the tailpipe, cars been sitting a while. Hosed that down with spray. Waited ten, climbed back under. Getting second bracket lined up, OWWWWWW got me again, left forearm. Enough of that crap, after a while, got a fresh can and hosed that area down. Three minutes later, four of them laying under the car. Effers

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    When I did my S52 swap I misplaced one of the A/c lines. Ive been without A/c for 3 years now as a result. Today I went to the junkyard and pulled the lines I needed. I flushed them all and got new o-rings and a new drier. Im buttoning up the system now to vacuum charge it. Amazed how much gunk came out of those lines.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 328i
    That looks like your refrigerant oil with some dye added in. Don't forget to replace it.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328ic
    First oil change on a bmw for me, so used my 4 litre oil extractor to be sure my catch basin would not overflow
    seeing gdavid’s today sounds like I could do the whole drain that way - nice lesson! My car was lowered by a PO so getting under it is a pain, but I do need to have a better look to understand what looked to me to be seepage
    and who other than bmw owners needs a 25mm socket?

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jjdcan View Post
    First oil change on a bmw for me, so used my 4 litre oil extractor to be sure my catch basin would not overflow
    seeing gdavid’s today sounds like I could do the whole drain that way - nice lesson! My car was lowered by a PO so getting under it is a pain, but I do need to have a better look to understand what looked to me to be seepage
    and who other than bmw owners needs a 25mm socket?
    Whats the 25mm for? It's been ten years since I we swapped out the S52, but doesn't the filter bolt take a 13mm? Crankcase is a 17? I too use the vacuum extractor to empty the crankcase. Clean, fast, etc. The one I bought years ago holds eight liters, as I recall.

Edit: ooops. Thought I was in the E36 M3 sub-forum!
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 08-10-2018 at 01:22 AM. Reason: doh
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

Page 656 of 707 FirstFirst ... 156556606631646647648649650651652653654655656657658659660661662663664665666681706 ... LastLast