Thread: What did you do to your e36 today?

My Cars
    2011 335xi
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    Not quite today................more holes

Attachment 603289
    What tool is this? Tried a quick search on Amazon for it and didn't see this specific one.

My Cars
    1998 E36 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty S50 View Post
    You would ideally want to do your shocks / struts and all bushings at once. But that can get costly. Most important items would be bushings; so for the rear: inner, outter, upper and lower bushings / ball joints, rear trailing arm bushings, subframe and diff bushings, and top it off with some rear shock mounts.

You would want to do, also sway bar bushings but i think thats a little lower on the totem pole. Then on to reinforcement stuff and upgraded camber arms, new shocks etc...
    Thanks for the help, but I'm doing each step as I get paid. I just finished the front refresh and intend on doing the rear next, also I'll add in some limiters. After that it will be struts and springs.

Quote Originally Posted by tiMASTER View Post
    I'd add the cheap and easy rear shock mount reinforcement plates as well as the strut mount reinforcement plates. For well under $50 for all of them, it's cheap insurance. Assuming you didn't already install them.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. I'd do those as part of the strut and spring job, but I'm just wondering if the weld in subframe reinforcement plates are necessary for a DD. I understand they're insurance against expensive repairs, but dropping the subframe is a large job and as far as I know the only mobile welder in my town is out of business. I'd assume the rear subframe needs reinforcement before the front, but my car only has 110 000km on it.

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post

What tool is this? Tried a quick search on Amazon for it and didn't see this specific one.
    Looks like the bushing / ball joint tool that AutoZone rents out. I think OEM makes it

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
    Sealey VSE5613 try to get the later revision for the split bush (I have the older one, still works)
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Incorrect. Very few models got these lights. I believe it was 318is and 318ti in Europe only. Six-cylinder models got the H1 bulb projector lights. These use 9006 and 9007 bulbs, same as the plastic US lights. They are BMW and even have the DOT sign cast into the glass, making them "street legal" for the USA.
    EURO I said.

Early cars got the H1 projector units, later cars H7 open reflector units. Nomatter what engine.

We never got 9006/7 bulbs.

Only Compacts here got a different unit altogether, which use HB4 lights.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    02/95 BMW 325is

What did you do to your e36 today?

Drove it for the first time in 4 months after replacing CPS. ...forgot I took the wheel spacers off the front to put on my e92... pulled over after smelling burning rubber.. lost a lot of sidewall on my new tires. Derp.

My Cars
    1998 E36 323is
    So I just attempted to have my alignment done by a shop, but they said my rear bolts were froze and would not put the camber shims on the front. But, they said I can go back tomorrow to talk to the mechanic and see if he would right the problem.

Here is what I requested as per the alignment thread:
    Front
    Camber:
    -2 to -2.5 deg (per side)
    Toe: 0.10 total toe

Rear
    Camber:
    -1.5 to -2 deg (per side)
    Toe: 0.2 total toe

Here is what I'm now driving around with because of the seized rear arms and "you don't need the shims" response:
    Front
    Left Camber:
    -0.7 (per side) Right Camber: -0.6 deg (per side)
    Left Toe: 0.18 total toe Right Toe: 0.18 total toe
    -----------
    Total Toe:

Rear
    Left Camber:
    -1.7 (per side) Right Camber: -1.7 deg (per side)
    Left Toe: 0.25 total toe Right Toe: 0.44 total toe
    -----------
    Total Toe:

Is this an okay setup or should I go back and discuss with the mechanic? The tie rods in the front are brands new, so I'm unsure what they couldn't get the total toe lower.

I have a road trip of about 1000km to go on and I don't want to destroy my tires in the process with the current set up. Are the differences in rear toe a cause for concern if I don't want my tires wearing out? Do I only need to replace the camber bolts, or do I NEED all new arms if I'm just lowering the car with Koni/Eibach?
    Last edited by NSBFTW; 06-26-2017 at 07:18 PM.

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    EURO I said.

Early cars got the H1 projector units, later cars H7 open reflector units. Nomatter what engine.

We never got 9006/7 bulbs.

Only Compacts here got a different unit altogether, which use HB4 lights.
    europe/Euro.

There re is another call out for the 9006/9007 bulbs. Yes these were on the ti but also another regular e36 model- I thought the 318 but perhaps another model... it was not used across the range. The H1 projectors are far more popular and were used on a lot more cars. Many of the early e36s had these and a lot of the old DTM/touring cars ran them. These are not recommended if you plan on running xenons. And in Germany they were only in the 318ti.

That's what I know about them. Took me years to find them.
    "Speed's just a question of money. How fast you 'wanna go?"

PM me for E36 engine swap books and BMW ETMs! NOW SHIPPING!!!

My Cars
    E36 325i (sold)
    Need new cats for mine. Any recommendations on where to find some at a decent price? (CA legal)

Thanks

My Cars
    2011 E90 325xi

europe/Euro.

There re is another call out for the 9006/9007 bulbs. Yes these were on the ti but also another regular e36 model- I thought the 318 but perhaps another model... it was not used across the range. The H1 projectors are far more popular and were used on a lot more cars. Many of the early e36s had these and a lot of the old DTM/touring cars ran them. These are not recommended if you plan on running xenons. And in Germany they were only in the 318ti.

That's what I know about them. Took me years to find them.
    Were you looking for them using fax? The h1 models are still being sold largely. Mparallel is right, the h1 is the older projector model and the h7 is the newer non-projector one. I got the h7 in my 6-cyl e36 '96. The h1's are actually the only ones to run xenon in because those are the only projector models. Never run xenon without projector!

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    I'll have to find a part number. This is getting silly.

These were discontinued around 2006. They are not the "new" ones.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetester View Post
    Were you looking for them using fax? The h1 models are still being sold largely. Mparallel is right, the h1 is the older projector model and the h7 is the newer non-projector one. I got the h7 in my 6-cyl e36 '96. The h1's are actually the only ones to run xenon in because those are the only projector models. Never run xenon without projector!
    This. I have no clue what he is on about. We got H1/H7/HB4, period.

Stock for stock and this is important. Stock for stock aka no modification, the H7's outshine the H1's by a mile. Even with xenon bulb's fitted. Xenon bulbs do not sit in the focal point as it's obviously an very different bulb.

My 328i came with H7's, swapped these for H1 as back then I liked the projectors better. Then fitted xenon in them.

Then bought the M3, which again came with H7 units and then it was clear how much more light output (stock for stock) them produce. Makes the H1 look like candle light.

IG:

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    I'm never lucky enough to see any H7 in the scrappers
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    I'm never lucky enough to see any H7 in the scrappers
    You won't. UK got H1 projectors till the end of production as you can swap these LHD/RHD easily, while RHD H7 units would require a dedicated set of units.

IG:

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    That makes sense

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    Since no one else is checking, HB4 is 9006. HB5 is 9007.

My Cars
    '93 320i
    My current headlight output is so bad that my brand new fog lights can outshine them lol. I got newer headlights in way better shape with a parts car I just bought so hopefully they'll be much better for light output, but they'll never be as good as any projector setup like I was used to in my e46.

I also got a nice black carpet from that car so I took some time to give it a real good cleaning before it goes into mine:

'93 Bmw 32oi /// White leather, H&R race springs, Style 125 reps, Evo X wing

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Hardwired my V1 in just now. Hooked it up to the ignition cylinder's Ignition output (as opposed to Accessory) so it doesn't reset during crank.

My Cars
    99 323Ci, 98328i verts
    Quote Originally Posted by Silenced View Post
    My current headlight output is so bad that my brand new fog lights can outshine them lol. I got newer headlights in way better shape with a parts car I just bought so hopefully they'll be much better for light output, but they'll never be as good as any projector setup like I was used to in my e46.

I also got a nice black carpet from that car so I took some time to give it a real good cleaning before it goes into mine:

Damn, any before shots?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    Hardwired my V1 in just now. Hooked it up to the ignition cylinder's Ignition output (as opposed to Accessory) so it doesn't reset during crank.
    I've seen these integrated into the mirrors for nice hidden/clean look.

IG:

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    I've seen these integrated into the mirrors for nice hidden/clean look.
    A V1? Interesting. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to take apart and relocate the receivers but I'd also want to keep it as high as possible as well as removeable to swap into my daily if need be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    mouted a switch in the center console to manually turn on the fast stage of the aux fan. it let's the a/c work better in heavy traffic and hot weather.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Removed my headliner, lots of broken tabs on the A and C pillars. Anyone know if you put the metal clips on the tabs or put the clips in place and push the tabs into the clips?

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
    Removed my headliner, lots of broken tabs on the A and C pillars. Anyone know if you put the metal clips on the tabs or put the clips in place and push the tabs into the clips?
    Clips on the tabs and then push back in as one whole piece. I've done it the other way around and have lost clips inside the body.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    Clips on the tabs and then push back in as one whole piece. I've done it the other way around and have lost clips inside the body.
    Thanks, I'll do that, still have to get material to do the recovering part. Trying to find the right shade of gray so I don't have to do the pillars and sunroof. I'm even considering foam backed because it will probably outlive me. lol Going to the local Joanns to compare colors.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

Page 600 of 707 FirstFirst ... 100500550575590591592593594595596597598599600601602603604605606607608609610625650700 ... LastLast