Thread: What did you do to your e36 today?

My Cars
    EuroE36M3, X6, E93, E46,
    Rounded up the lads for their Sunday morning wipe down.... Have to give the E93 shinies a good scrub after the tire change to remove that slimey stuff they use.
    Also took the naughty one last night for a run around and was "forced" into a couple traffic light grand prix, despite my hesitation .

The naughty one:

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctwide3project View Post
    Very nice upgrade, could you share where you got the cooler from? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    The Oil cooler was just an amazon special, but once i get everything in ill tally it all up and try to find the exact link. It was just advertised as "10 row Oil cooler" or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty S50 View Post
    After doing a bit of measuring. I had some custom lines made to run an actual oil cooler for my steering overhaul. Really like this as its a direct bolt on to the OEM system, of which mine had been seeping for far too long. Maybe i should do i write up on how to do this, but I know its going to need some minor tweaking.. Just got to throw some tie rods on this Z3 rack and i can get this in the car.

Pulled my OG system today and wow was it filthy! Reaaaally makes me happy that im getting this done now

My Cars
    Turbo E36, V8 E39
    Over the past few months ive been collecting parts, and broke my front diff bolt. So, poly subframe and front diff bushings, aluminum rear diff bushings, condor rtabs, m3 rear trailing arm upgrade (alrrady had m3 front spindles on the car), new brake pads and rotors, painted calipers, and m stitched armrest and boots installed. Next is a diff brace for extra insurance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

MINIz guy is offline #buttstuff2k14 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    rolls coal
    Purchased a bunch of maintenance parts for it to do over the next few weeks.

1. heater control valve
    2. fuel filter
    3. water pump
    4. idler pulley
    5. clutch master cylinder

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Nice, 1 & 4 are still high on my list lol. Somehow i just never seem to make my way to them.

So i was able to (kind of) make progress on my steering update rack swap. Fitted the reservoir which pretty much turned out perfect, being able to utilize the OEM mount was prime.

Unfortunately, the sat too low once the rack was in place. I had NO room to run my line off the rez to the pump. No room FOR a line I should say. Everything else could have worked had I got one or two of the lines redone (and inch or so +/-), but ultimately I would have needed to wait to do any of that until I found a reservoir that worked in the first place. There wasnt enough room on top for my to push the res up more, and run the return line, or else that would have solved it. Finding another one to fit the OEM mount, wont be able to be done on any realistic timeline,so for now I will shelf the "update". Bit the bullet and just bought all new OEM lines, should be here tomorrow so at least I can get the rack in the car and driving again.

I diiiiiid change the Tie Rods and Motor Mounts while the rack was out yesterday.

One quick question however, Since getting the Z3 rack, I have got a rough idea of where the center of the rack is through measuring and marking. When Installing it and trying to get the steering wheel straight, do i just max the rack out one side, than turn so that front wheels are center again, and then adjust steering wheel to this new center? Steering wheel is currently straight, Steering lock is engaged on shaft and the wheels were straight when process began, Tie rods were threaded back on to where the old ones were, and although i know an alignment is a must, im trying to get the steering wheel as straight as I can without using suspension adjustment..
    Last edited by Thrifty S50; 06-04-2019 at 05:14 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Look up how to do a string alignment. Our rear is 0.6" wider than the front, as long as your rims are the same offset front and rear as well as width you don't have to do any more corrections. I did a string alignment and then went to a shop and it was perfectly in spec.

Installed this today, no more cam sensor codes:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Oil change, Mobile 1 10w30 Motor seems to really have liked it. Found a small piece of plastic in the filter, it was semi circular brittle white plastic, maybe 0.5" 10-12mm in diameter. Trying to think what it could be from. No more codes just check coolant lvl cause I ordered the wrong sensor. Continued to chip clearcoat with plastic scraper.
    Last edited by FiberFast; 06-07-2019 at 02:51 AM.

My Cars
    1998 E36 323is
    Bought a new rear rondell and some rear bumper trim. I have to stop going to Toronto so frequently, because every-time I'm down there someone tries or succeeds in stealing stuff off my car.

Also, if I wanted to replace the dirty diaper looking muffler I have with something shiny and not rice-y, what would be the recommendation? I want to go mid-pipe or header back, for weight savings, but I have 2 concerns. The 323is already has a restrictive mid-pipe compared to the 325is, so I don't want o replace it verbatim with something new. I've read that the mid-pipes are interchangeable, but I would need to move or blank an O2 sensor. I daily my car, and do frequent trips on the highway; I want something that won't drone or cause me to run rich. Suggestions?

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Although not 100% successful with my custom set up, Im glad to have got the new rack in today, got all the hoses ran and everything Tidy'd up and Mounted (some hoses missing in this pic lol) rack bled and steering wheel centered.

With the New motor mounts, Tie rods and Z3 rack, ive upgraded or replaced every single suspension and handling component on the car. Looks like I can 'focus' on power / race car stuff now :0 Gonna take the car for a shake down tomorrow pre-alignment
    Last edited by Thrifty S50; 06-08-2019 at 06:29 PM.

My Cars
    E92, E46, E36
    Removed the sunroof cassette to make extra clearance for the rollcage install and welded in the sunroof skin. Then moved onto a little more paint work

My Cars
    E92, E46, E36
    Pulled all the masking off this morning, Im thinking its a little too much white and maybe need something to break it up a little. Any one have any thoughts?

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    I think it would look good actually on some W I D E Cosmis Racing R1 wheels, in white.

https://cosmisusa.com/product-category/wheels/

Those and some different headlights...

My Cars
    E92, E46, E36
    I've got some custom style 5's going on it and plan is to take out the headlights it came with and put the original ones back in

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Looks good in white. Honestly thought you were fucking this car up but dang dude. Looks like its really coming together.
    Kinda sketched myself when I started sanding all the clear off my car... Sometime you just got to have a vision and go balls deep.
    Last edited by FiberFast; 06-10-2019 at 12:00 PM.

My Cars
    E92, E46, E36
    Thanks that means a lot, through the whole planning and build process my goal has been to make this a respectable well built machine and not another loss to the e36 community.

My Cars
    E92, E46, E36
    Absolutely correct about needing a vision and going for it! Just like your clearcoat, some things along the way make you question what you are doing but if it's well thought out it comes together

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328ic
    Quote Originally Posted by NSBFTW View Post
    Bought a new rear rondell and some rear bumper trim. I have to stop going to Toronto so frequently, because every-time I'm down there someone tries or succeeds in stealing stuff off my car.
    where in Toronto are you getting stuff ripped off your car? So I can avoid such areas with mine

My Cars
    1998 E36 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by Jjdcan View Post
    where in Toronto are you getting stuff ripped off your car? So I can avoid such areas with mine
    The rondell went missing on Queens Quay, and the trim went missing at an ONroute. To be fair, I've had my rondell snatched in Ottawa and Montreal as well.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by NSBFTW View Post
    The rondell went missing on Queens Quay, and the trim went missing at an ONroute. To be fair, I've had my rondell snatched in Ottawa and Montreal as well.
    What in the hell Canada?!

My Cars
    1998 E36 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle View Post
    What in the hell Canada?!
    Hahah I know, right? Everyone must be all worked up over the Raptors game; getting around in Toronto is next to impossible with all the traffic right now.

MINIz guy is offline #buttstuff2k14 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    rolls coal
    Drained the coolant tonight to prep for a partial cooling system refresh. The fan clutch nut was rusted on so bad it bent my pulley holder tool.

Ended up sliding the radiator out first, then the fan shroud and expansion tank, and lastly the fan. Then I smashed the water pump pulley and will be removing the water pump and fan clutch as an entire unit. Gotta let the PB Blaster soak a little while I wait for more parts to come in. It doesn't hurt to replace them, even though I wasn't planning on it.

My Cars
    E92, E46, E36
    Almost done with body work. Then onto fitting the roll cage and building the rear diffuser

My Cars
    1998 328is
    What did I do??? Ha haaaa... I have 98 328is automatic and I changed the "lifetime" fluid in it. First I have 187k miles on it and I don't believe that the fluid had ever been changed. I couldn't break loose the fill plug so after trying everything including a torch the bolt w a d now round. So I ended up cutting it off because I already had ordered a new one. So after spending an hour getting that bolt off the rest of the project went smoothly. I had the slipping and hard shifts due to the trans being 3 quarts low!!! Yeah THREE... This transmission is a champ running as well as it did being that low on fluid. Anyway that's what I did today!! 😁

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Sometimes I wish i just drove a shit box...

Was heading home from a Cars n Coffee and some how all the stars in the universe aligned just perfectly for a rock to get kicked up and smash my rear quarter window while driving on the Highway.

Going to experiment on a Junkyard vehicle to see how easy it is to get one of these suckers out. There arent any good lexan options for the sedans so if it turns out to be more of a pain than i want to deal with, Ill either sticker bomb it or just wait until I can throw in a whole new door lol.

My Cars
    E92, E46, E36
    If all else fails grab a piece of lexan from home depot for about $20 and cut it yourself and throw some silicone sealer around it. Edges dont have to be 100% perfect as they will be hidden under the weather seal.

Page 678 of 707 FirstFirst ... 178578628653668669670671672673674675676677678679680681682683684685686687688703 ... LastLast