Thread: My A/C is blowing hot air

My Cars
    97 BMW, 03 Expedition

Angry My A/C is blowing hot air

MY 97 bmw 328I's A/C starts blowing hot air when I am in stop and go traffic But, the a/c is fine when car is moving. Have anyone had this problem with their BMW. I hate going back to dealer. HELP

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    there a couple things that associate with this, first check your belts. if its too loose you may have this problem. Also check your freon level. R134a on low side needs to be between 50-55 psi and 250 psi on the high side at 95 degrees ambient temperature. If the level is too high or too low, this could also result in the problem you are describing. Any a/c shop will be able to help you out, its not rocket science, pretty easy actually.

Now I have one question to ask, why you going to the $tealer for an ac issue or any other issue? I swear, unless a car is under warranty or recall, there should be no reason to go to the $tealer. Let me know what happens..

My Cars
    97 BMW, 03 Expedition
    Well, I just had the local Sears check out the air conditioner. (They were walking distance from my work) They said the compressor is is making noise and found high pressure in both high and low side. They would not attempt to fix it and sent me on my way with a $5 coupon. I need a good BMW shop within San Gabriel Valley in Calif. TIA
    Last edited by motorhead; 08-26-2003 at 12:11 AM.

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    I will have to concur with the books at home, but sounds like you are over charged. when was the last time it was serviced? Invest 20 bucks in an ac gauge. read ur own pressure, if its 2 high, just let some out, its r134a ozone friendly

My Cars
    Pokeball

Re: My A/C is blowing hot air

Originally posted by motorhead
    MY 97 bmw 328I's A/C starts blowing hot air when I am in stop and go traffic But, the a/c is fine when car is moving. Have anyone had this problem with their BMW. I hate going back to dealer. HELP
    actually, your symptons point to a rather simple problem: interruption of air flow over the heat exchanger. when your car is stopped, air flow is provided by the electric fan. your problem is either:

electric fan fuse blown
    fan switch dead
    fan dead

i'd check those in that order.

My Cars
    M3, 328i
    Earlier this summer my A/C blew hot air as well and varied from hot to somewhat cool when driving. I checked the pressures on the hi and lo sides and both were high. I was totally dumbfounded for a week and started to consider bringing it to a shop.

Then, the pure genius in me (LOL) thought of checking the fuse box. Turns out there are approximately 4 or 5 fuses related to the A/C system. One of them was blown. I replaced it and VIOLA! ICE COLD A/C!

I know your symptoms are NOT EXACTLY like mine and you Sears mech said he heard some sounds from the system, but hey, it takes 5 minutes and costs you $0. It's worth a shot, no?

-Justin
    1997 328i Jet Black (Sold)
    1995 M3 Daytona Violet (SOLD)
    Planning his return to Bimmerdom...

My Cars
    93 318is and 93 325i
    Jubu, I have the same symptoms you had. My low pressure is on the highside too. My AC sounds like it works but it just blows hot air. Can you provide me detailed instructions on what you replaced including the locations and type of fuse. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    If the compressor is making noise, then that's probably it but the guys at Sears could just be trying to make a buck. From the symptoms you describe it sounds like your auxilary fan isn't running when the A/C is on. Check out associated fuses and relays, or just check to see if it runs when the A/C is on. It's in front of the radiator, you can see it through the kidney grills. It should spin when you turn on the A/C.
    Drew | Dinomite.net
    1997 Boston Green ///M3 Coupe Lightweight wheels, non-luxury, no sunroof.
    1994 Volvo 940 Race Wagon

My Cars
    95' 525i
    Originally posted by SecretAznMan4u
    I will have to concur with the books at home, but sounds like you are over charged. when was the last time it was serviced? Invest 20 bucks in an ac gauge. read ur own pressure, if its 2 high, just let some out, its r134a ozone friendly
    This may seem like a silly question but where are the connections to check the high and low pressures. I have the same symptoms but haven't gotten my ac charged recently and my aux fan works. Will also check fuses too. It may just be time to charge. I have a 97' 328i w/115k

TIA,

Anthony

My Cars
    97' M3
    beemup............

Look on the back of your fuse box cover, all the fuses that deal with the A/C and what not are listed right behind it, make sure to put in the right amp.......best of luck....
    97 M3/4

My Cars
    97 BMW, 03 Expedition
    Originally posted by JuBu
    Then, the pure genius in me (LOL) thought of checking the fuse box. Turns out there are approximately 4 or 5 fuses related to the A/C system. One of them was blown. I replaced it and VIOLA! ICE COLD A/C!
    Found a blown fuse and the a/c is working again. Thanks for everyone's input.

: : :