Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Kidney grill fell out - '98 740il

My Cars
    1998 740IL

Red face Front Kidney grill fell out - '98 740il

I got a new emblem for the hood today and opened the hood to double check there as nothing I needed to attend to underneath. As I pulled the hood latch on the right kidney it broke loose. Several of the plastic clips had apparently decided it was a good time to move to the next plane of existence.

I just ordered both kidneys from Bavarian Auto Recyclers. Any tricks to putting the new ones back in? The left side is still there but since I'm going to replace both I thought I would ask if anyone has done it and if so any tricks?

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport, '13 Volt
    new ones just snap in. To get the old one out without breaking, simply push/squeeze the clips in while under the hood.

My Cars
    BMW's
    +1, they just snap in...very easy

My Cars
    1998 740IL

Talking

Thanks. I was startled when the right one literally fell out in my hand as I pulled the hood latch. The right one is now out and I pull the left one when the replacements come in.

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0si Bright Red
    A lot of the cars in the SoCal area, when I was looking for my se7en, had the grilles held in with black silicone. I must have looked at five to seven cars before making my final choice and several of them were just held in with luck and a prayer.

They're actually pretty sturdy but over time, the plastic tabs deteriorate and slight pushes cause them to break (actually a good thing if you have to get at your hood latch) so with replacement...you will have several years of use out of the new ones.

Which type are you thinking of getting, chrome tipped or just black vanes.

jake

2001 740i Titansilber & grey...daily beater.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740i, 98 A8
    The &%$@ who owned my car before me hot glued the stupid grille in, and didn't even bother to wipe away the excess. It's on my project list to be fixed, but every time I walk by I cringe a little.

I was looking at this site: http://********/GetBMWPartsGrilles and I was wondering what the difference is between the 740 and 750 grilles? Can I put a 750 Grille in my 98 740i? Is it sexier or something?
    Last edited by CobraBytez; 05-28-2009 at 07:50 PM.

My Cars
    1998 740IL

Smile

I ordered the chrome/black vane setup. Got them for $30 each + about $10 shipping so $70 for the pair to me. Should be here in 7-10 days. I'll post how the switchout goes.

My Cars
    98 740, 05 XJ8 sprV8
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraBytez View Post
    The &%$@ who owned my car before me hot glued the stupid grille in, and didn't even bother to wipe away the excess. It's on my project list to be fixed, but every time I walk by I cringe a little.

I was looking at this site: http://********/GetBMWPartsGrilles and I was wondering what the difference is between the 740 and 750 grilles? Can I put a 750 Grille in my 98 740i? Is it sexier or something?
    yeah same here their is this black gunk around my grille, ima upgrade to a chrome one.

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0si Bright Red
    Its even more prevalent than I originally thought.

jake

2001 740i Titansilber & grey...daily beater.

My Cars
    1987 E30 320I, 1995 E34 525I, 1998 E38 740I
    Same on mine...previous idiot glued them in with silicon! Went and bought brand new ones from the BMW dealer...
    1987 E30 320I M20 Manual
    1995 E34 525I M50TU Auto
    1998 E38 740I M62 Steptronic

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport, '13 Volt
    Yeah, it's pretty common. My pass. side grille fell out a couple months ago. All but two tabs broken off. And yesterday, I saw another 7 out on the street with it's passenger side grille missing.

My Cars
    '00 740i Sport
    Intersesting this subject came up........I found my pass side loose just a couple days ago......was gonna ask best place to order replacement, but you guys have already answered!!!!!

My Cars
    E92 335xi, E38sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Battledad View Post
    I ordered the chrome/black vane setup. Got them for $30 each + about $10 shipping so $70 for the pair to me. Should be here in 7-10 days. I'll post how the switchout goes.
    where'd you get them? THat website above says $60 each.

My Cars
    S500, E320
    Rivet the suckers in...

My Cars
    M62 on steroids yeah!

Thumbs up chrome grill

they're not that easy to put in, it's like you have to take it apart then put in the back part first from the inside and then snap on the front part to the rest of it. I have an extra chrome kidney if you need one.

If anyone is looking to get a new chrome grill I have one that's brand new still in the box!
    Last edited by jbimflyer; 08-15-2009 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 750il 1996 750i
    Quote Originally Posted by Battledad View Post
    I got a new emblem for the hood today and opened the hood to double check there as nothing I needed to attend to underneath. As I pulled the hood latch on the right kidney it broke loose. Several of the plastic clips had apparently decided it was a good time to move to the next plane of existence.

I just ordered both kidneys from Bavarian Auto Recyclers. Any tricks to putting the new ones back in? The left side is still there but since I'm going to replace both I thought I would ask if anyone has done it and if so any tricks?
    Dont confuse that with the rear(or side) kidney grill

My Cars
    '96 735iL, Ford Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by jbimflyer View Post
    they're not that easy to put in, it's like you have to take it apart then put in the back part first from the inside and then snap on the front part to the rest of it. I have an extra chrome kidney if you need one.

If anyone is looking to get a new chrome grill I have one that's brand new still in the box!
    No need to disassemble the grille to install. Just push the whole assembled unit in from the front of the grille opening. It will snap into position.

For a simple and effective way to remove the grille, see this from master Q: http://bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/681711/

GimmieSumMo72 is offline That's my BOY!!! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E60 E31 Past: E38 E36
    my right one grill the bottom clips fell apart but the top ones were holding up good, so i zip tied the bottom clips and they're stronger than ever!
    1991 850i diamantschwarz metallic w/ 2 toned black/light silver grey interior: Mods: 20% Tints, OEM Style 37 rims (Winter), 18" BBS RG-R's Diamond Black (Summer), M3 Style Lip Spoiler, Wokke V2.0 Chips, Magnaflow 14833's, Dinan Performance Transmission Chip, CSi front spoiler, 3000k 35w Fogs, 5000k 55w Lows, Custom Randy/Dinan Suspension, Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Rotors, Goodrich SS Brake Lines

2004 530i schwarz-2: Mods: 20% Tints, Powdercoated Black OEM Style 122's (Winter), LED Fogs & Sidemarkers, Staggared Style 166's, Apexcone 55w 3000k lows, LED 20w Angel Eyes

My Cars
    2015 Volvo V40, 2005 X5
    Man just before I got my full chrome grilles I had one that was almost popping all the way out when I was driving. The day I came to change it the last tab had actually broken and the grille was just sitting in it's hole.

Get a flathead screw driver and a torch and you will see the little plastic tabs you have to push out to seperate the back and front. You will need to use a bit of force and don't get mad at youself if you break a tab, it's quite hard not to.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by jbimflyer View Post
    they're not that easy to put in, it's like you have to take it apart then put in the back part first from the inside and then snap on the front part to the rest of it.
    Hmm, I don't understand why it was difficult for you...perhaps you purchased aftermarket grills that had some slight defect/deformity that prevented easy installation.

As stated in posts above...the entire new BMW oe kidney grills (or even old used ones) slide in thru the front opening as one whole piece and snaps into place. It should take approx 3 seconds....literally.

My bro-in-law's and my old 97 kidney grills that were popped out and reassembled:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    M62 on steroids yeah!

I thought

yeah it should have been lol, but when I had to damn near break one of the old ones to get it out I had a feeling the op wouldn"t be as smooth as it should be.... might be my front end.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740IL
    I just bought two front grills for my 2001 BMW 740IL e38 from ebay. Do I just push them in, or do I take them apart with flat tip screwdriver first..let me know ASAP

My Cars
    2000 E38 740i Sport
    Read posts #17 and #20 above - the answer is there when you look. That's the whole point of forums like this - sharing experiences.

My Cars
    2000 E38 750iSport
    Hi,

Mine got broken when I had to pull them out cause the bonnet/hood cableing starting having issues.

I patched it up, but what you all should be thinking about doing is injecting grease into the two latch mechansims that hold the bonnet/hood in place.

That way the release wire gets a slightly easier time of it in life.

Latches dry up, cable gets longer/plastic bits break off, bonnet no open, grills get broken.

Cheers

Adrian
    Last edited by X606XAR; 05-27-2020 at 12:45 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by X606XAR View Post
    Hi,

Mine got broken when I had to pull them out cause the bonnet/hood cableing starting having issues.

I patched it up, but what you all should be thinking about doing is injecting grease into the two latch mechansims that hold the bonnet/hood in place.

That way the release wire gets a slightly easier time of it in life.

Latches dry up, cable gets longer/plastic bits break off, bonnet no open, grills get broken.

Cheers

Adrian
    Exactly, exactly, exactly. 100% agree.
    If your hood latch is still working, starting injecting the grease right away.
    Otherwise, you'll soon be dealing with one more little PITA that could have been prevented.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast