Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E21 rear parcel shelf recovering!

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320is
    What type of Recaro cloth do you have? I need enough orange spectrum to complete my rear seat.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i

Parcel shelf Reupholstery

Reupholstered my Parcel Shelf over the weekend, and wanted to share what worked best for me to get a professional look and match my interior. I started out with a fairly dry-rotted original carpet, and wanted to cover that rather than pull it off. This allows me to remove it at a later date if I find OEM carpet to reline with. First I took a hard bristled brush and removed the old carpet, it disintegrated and left me with a rough surface to adhere to. I glued 1/16" packing foam down onto this, to cover the old carpet and give a uniform smoothness/plush. After that, I glued on a thick canvas and wrapped the edges, cutting out the holes for the speakers. I added new body clips, polished up the speaker mounts,, and added new speakers. The new speakers have a raise to them, so I'll be making an insert so I can put the factory covers back on.

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg
    Last edited by jbowen944; 09-28-2020 at 11:13 PM.

My Cars
    '81 320i, '05 Scion
    I want to replace my speakers on the parcel shelf. These look like they are 6" x 3.75". I see in this thread that people have larger speakers sitting up on top of the opening. I assume that is the way to do it, as this original size speaker is not available any more.
    Any recommendation for speakers brand and model that will go in easy in the back?
    My Car Blog:
    http://motoluvr.blogspot.com

My current cars:
    '16 Fiat 500e (electric)
    '92 Honda accord
    '05 Scion xB
    '81 BMW 320i
    '12 Toyota Prius

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    4x6 shallow size is hard to find, everything larger would require cutting metal (parcel shelf) and/or door panels to fit.
    I was able to find a set of speakers from W&N- https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/cata...09/category/2/
    Perfect fit in stock locations and they sound good (I am using stock system with the Blaupunkt radio/cassette). I'd say it is pretty much identical to what original speakers were.

Max

My Cars
    '81 320i, '05 Scion
    Thanks for the link. I'm fine with a stock replacement, I just ordered 2.
    My Car Blog:
    http://motoluvr.blogspot.com

My current cars:
    '16 Fiat 500e (electric)
    '92 Honda accord
    '05 Scion xB
    '81 BMW 320i
    '12 Toyota Prius

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12