Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walbro 255 Fuel Pump Doable?

My Cars
    318i/5

Walbro 255 Fuel Pump Doable?

So the fuel pump in the 540 has passed away. I disconnected the gas feed line and tried to crank the car. Not a single damn drop.

Now I'm on the market for a fuel pump. I have heard great things about the Walbro 255 fuel pump and considering that I plan on running a turbo, this would be the ideal choice.

Walbro, however, doesn't make the pump for the 540, but does offers a "universal" version. Has anyone here tried to run the universal pump in their cars? Results, Install PITAs, feedback?

Thanks!
    -Леха

My Cars
    BMWs
    If you have to ask...

My Cars
    318i/5
    kind sir, if I had the money for a bosch fuel pump that costs $300 from bavauto, do you think I would make this thread? Walbro 255 is only $120...

Obviously, if I didn't have to ask, I wouldn't....
    -Леха

My Cars
    1992 525i-e34
    :popcorn:
    Had: 1991 e30 325iC
    Present: 1992 e34 525i.slow.

My Cars
    325i/525i
    It can be done, easy swap with the 100% generic walbro. Took my friend about 20 mins to do it.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    Shop around you can get the OEM cheaper BavAuto has higher prices than many others. Try Pelican, BMA, Autohauz, GermanAutoParts, eBay, Craigslist, etc, etc.
    1995 Oriental Blau-Parchment-Wood Trim BMW 525i - 5 Speed, Short Shifted & JC Chipped

My Cars
    BMWs
    So you see no issue with replacing a factory fuel pump with one that flows significantly more fuel?

My Cars
    325i/525i
    I wonder what FPR stands for.

And what the return line is for.
    Last edited by kell13y; 05-27-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    M42,M60,M62,M62TU
    Quote Originally Posted by kell13y View Post

While I agree for the most part - just to "get the info out there" I have seen cars (stock FPR- non-BMW's) run higher fuel pressure with 255lph pumps as compared to the stock (49psi vs. 43psi). That said- I know lots of people who swap Walbros, and see no, or very minor AF changes at WOT...and at cruise the 02 sensors do most of the work- so a slight bump in FP is compensated for.

I don't see any problem running a walbro 255 in a 540i.

e34 540i/6 :: e30
    M62/6 :: e30 318is :: c5 Z06

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540iA
    I have no idea what kind of the fuel pump assembly the stock car has - generally, though, the walbro's are good, cheap hi-flow alternatives. Issues you'll have to look out for are how to wire it up, where and how to connect the lines, and how it mounts in the fuel tank.
    Cheers,

Paul

My Cars
    318i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Frzninvt View Post
    Shop around you can get the OEM cheaper BavAuto has higher prices than many others. Try Pelican, BMA, Autohauz, GermanAutoParts, eBay, Craigslist, etc, etc.
    Yes I found a Bosch for $190 on BMA and im still looking. The reason why I was asking is because I plan on adding a turbo and a lot of people I know had to upgrade their fuel pumps. With that said, majority went with the Walbro 255 but Walbro made direct fit pumps for their japanese imports. That is why I want to go with a Walbro..

Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    So you see no issue with replacing a factory fuel pump with one that flows significantly more fuel?
    What would the difference be? All it does is circulates more fuel and gives the injectors as much as they can handle. Don't even see why you're on my case...

And while your previous posts have built great credibility for you, I dont see why you have a stick up with butt...

A simple No or Yes would have been plenty..

Quote Originally Posted by kell13y View Post

FRP = fuel pump relay? Thats in the mail. I hope that fixes the issue so I dont have to get the damn pump.

Fuel Pump runs the fuel in a cirlce, from tank to fuel rail back to the tank..
    At least thats what makes sense to me when I read 255 LPH (liters per hour)..

Quote Originally Posted by janders211 View Post
    While I agree for the most part - just to "get the info out there" I have seen cars (stock FPR- non-BMW's) run higher fuel pressure with 255lph pumps as compared to the stock (49psi vs. 43psi). That said- I know lots of people who swap Walbros, and see no, or very minor AF changes at WOT...and at cruise the 02 sensors do most of the work- so a slight bump in FP is compensated for.

I don't see any problem running a walbro 255 in a 540i.
    Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by sevenphotos View Post
    I have no idea what kind of the fuel pump assembly the stock car has - generally, though, the walbro's are good, cheap hi-flow alternatives. Issues you'll have to look out for are how to wire it up, where and how to connect the lines, and how it mounts in the fuel tank.
    Thats my problem. I have never even taken off the cover in my trunk...and thats why I was wondering if I could use a universal Walbro pump..

And yes that is what I have heard and read as well. Thanks for your reply!

Thanks for the feedback guys!!
    Last edited by acet; 05-27-2009 at 01:02 PM.
    -Леха

My Cars
    '92 525i, '86 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by acet View Post

FRP = fuel pump relay? Thats in the mail. I hope that fixes the issue so I dont have to get the damn pump.

FPR = Fuel Pressure Regulator...

My Cars
    BMWs
    The only way it'll work is if the factory small lines can bypass the excess fuel that the walbro provides. Hopefully that'll work out spot on, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it weren't exactly right.

My Cars
    '11 328xiT/6, '99 M3
    Yes I found a Bosch for $190 on BMA and im still looking. The reason why I was asking is because I plan on adding a turbo and a lot of people I know had to upgrade their fuel pumps.
    I thought it was because you couldn't afford the Bosch OE one? Now you're talking about turbo'ing an M60?

Didn't we hear the no-money spiel when you had no corner lights and could barely afford used ambers?

I'm not trying to be harsh but sounds like you need a reality check. I plan on owning an E46 ZHP in the next few years but I'm not looking at mods for it.

I can sort-of understand the fuel pump thing but the reality is that you need to put in an OE, new one.
    -Denton

My Cars
    318i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    The only way it'll work is if the factory small lines can bypass the excess fuel that the walbro provides. Hopefully that'll work out spot on, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it weren't exactly right.
    This is what i was thinking:

They make walbro for 4, 6, and 8 cylinder motors. If the 4 cylinder motor, which needs less gas than a 8 cylinder, can run the 255 lhp pump on the lines designed for fuel flow to supply a 4 cylinder engine, why couldn't the lines designed for a 8 cylinder handle extra fuel? Does it make sense what I'm trying to say?

Quote Originally Posted by 4500 RPM View Post
    I thought it was because you couldn't afford the Bosch OE one? Now you're talking about turbo'ing an M60?
    It's because I can get a cheaper option right now and have a good pump for later turbo setup. This is killing 2 birds with one stone, no?

Didn't we hear the no-money spiel when you had no corner lights and could barely afford used ambers?
    Yes you heard it right. I have an operating capitol that I live off. Stocks and savings are different. I don't want to pay any penalties on it, does it make sense? And yeah not getting paid for 3 months will make you have less spending cash..especially on some ambers.

I'm not trying to be harsh but sounds like you need a reality check. I plan on owning an E46 ZHP in the next few years but I'm not looking at mods for it.
    I see what you're saying. This is my side of the story:

When I decide that I have enough to turbo the M60, I'm going to rebuild it with lower compression pistons. Lots of head work required too. I'm hoping that my savings will be able to pay for exactly the kind of build that I want, but I can't touch the savings right now. Otherwise there wouldnt be savings..

I can sort-of understand the fuel pump thing but the reality is that you need to put in an OE, new one.
    This 540 is my project. I plan on getting a dd in not so distant future. I am not trying to restore it to the OEM condition and daily drive it. My plan is to have the 540 as a weekend car...

I see why you would go with the OEM parts and the way you mod your car is very clean. I really like it a lot! However, it's not the same road i'm going down with my car and to me it doesn't make sense to pay 2 times more for a OEM part. Either way, I do thank you for your input.
    Last edited by acet; 05-27-2009 at 02:10 PM.
    -Леха

My Cars
    95 540/6, two 94 540ia
    http://treperformance.com/c-177-tre-...uel-pumps.htmlCheck out TRE performance for good fuel pumps. I've personally ran 2 of their 225 LPH pumps and been really happy. They compare to Walbro pumps and I think they have a universal 225 for like $69. I won't hesitate to upgrade to another one of these when needed.

My Cars
    318i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by quick93 View Post
    http://treperformance.com/c-177-tre-...uel-pumps.htmlCheck out TRE performance for good fuel pumps. I've personally ran 2 of their 225 LPH pumps and been really happy. They compare to Walbro pumps and I think they have a universal 225 for like $69. I won't hesitate to upgrade to another one of these when needed.
    You, my friend, are the $hit!!! Thank you very much!!! Exactly what I was looking for!!!!

all the haters can take a hike..
    -Леха

My Cars
    BMWs
    Dudes, when you put a $69 fuel pump in your car you can only expect one thing - a $69 fuel pump.

When you start talking turbo M60, you will not for a moment trust your engine to that.

My Cars
    318i/5
    I'll take my chances as this pump is only $69. I will keep you guys posted with the performance of this fuel pump. We will see how it will work out. At least 69 is a nice number..lol
    -Леха

My Cars
    '11 328xiT/6, '99 M3

all the haters can take a hike..
    What are you talking about when you say "haters"? Let the "haters" take a hike and enjoy the $69 fuel pump. If people bothered to reply and give advice chances are they are not a "hater". Stupid word anyhow...

I will never understand that juvenile mentality of "everyone is a hater until they give me the answer I want" regardless of if it's a good idea or not.
    -Denton

My Cars
    318i/5
    What are you talking about when you say "haters"? Let the "haters" take a hike and enjoy the $69 fuel pump. If people bothered to reply and give advice chances are they are not a "hater". Stupid word anyhow...

I will never understand that juvenile mentality of "everyone is a hater until they give me the answer I want" regardless of if it's a good idea or not.
    I'm talking about people who only think that their way is right and is the only way to go. Sort of like people here, who only approve of mods that they would do. If its something other than their opinion, its wrong or gay. Hense people here say: "I have a flame suit on". Wtf? Why should people get flamed for telling their ideas? That is what I mean by haters. And yes, stupid word...

If you read through my posts, I always thank people for their inputs. Whether I agree or not. I don't see how my mentality is considered "juvenile". This thread asks whether or not a Walbro "universal" pump could be installed in the 540. People go on flaming me (us) for getting a cheap fuel pump...Is that not Juvenile?

I don't want to start the argument with you Denton, because you're a cool guy and bring a lot to the forums. I'm just saying that there are always two sides to everything.
    Last edited by acet; 05-27-2009 at 03:32 PM.
    -Леха

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    I read the first post, and then the last one. I'm not going to read the middle but all I have to say is - WTF is all this drama? I'm on this board to gain and share knowledge about E34's and related topics, and I'm sick of all this flaming and other nonsense clogging up the board. Cut it out, kids. We're not in kindergarten anymore.

Anyway, I don't know about E34 fitment, but my friend has one of these in a Lexus SC300, and it's annoyingly, unreasonably, unnecessarily loud. It sounds like microphone feedback through a really cheap speaker. On an E34 I imagine it'd be slightly less intrusive but still definitely there. Based on my experience with it, I'd say it's up there with removing all the sound deadening (all of it) on the comfy DD -> track monster scale. If you intend to turn yours into a track car, go for it, but if you don't want to ruin its comfort and refinement, look elsewhere.

My Cars
    E34T
    I read the first post, and then the last one. I'm not going to read the middle but all I have to say is - WTF is all this drama? I'm on this board to gain and share knowledge about E34's and related topics, and I'm sick of all this flaming and other nonsense clogging up the board. Cut it out, kids. We're not in kindergarten anymore.

Anyway, I don't know about E34 fitment, but my friend has one of these in a Lexus SC300, and it's annoyingly, unreasonably, unnecessarily loud. It sounds like microphone feedback through a really cheap speaker. On an E34 I imagine it'd be slightly less intrusive but still definitely there. Based on my experience with it, I'd say it's up there with removing all the sound deadening (all of it) on the comfy DD -> track monster scale. If you intend to turn yours into a track car, go for it, but if you don't want to ruin its comfort and refinement, look elsewhere.

My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    '11 328xiT/6, '99 M3
    We got the point, Moroza

acet, he is right about some of these pumps being really loud.

I'm talking about people who only think that their way is right and is the only way to go. Sort of like people here, who only approve of mods that they would do. If its something other than their opinion, its wrong or gay. Hense people here say: "I have a flame suit on". Wtf? Why should people get flamed for telling their ideas? That is what I mean by haters. And yes, stupid word...

If you read through my posts, I always thank people for their inputs. Whether I agree or not. I don't see how my mentality is considered "juvenile". This thread asks whether or not a Walbro "universal" pump could be installed in the 540. People go on flaming me (us) for getting a cheap fuel pump...Is that not Juvenile?

I don't want to start the argument with you Denton, because you're a cool guy and bring a lot to the forums. I'm just saying that there are always two sides to everything.
    Understood. I think you're confusing flaming with something else. It's not a bad thing to seek a cheaper alternative. It's just that you can't arbitrarily throw in a fuel pump that doesn't match the specs of the standard pump.

Then talking about turbos...okay now. Turbo M60? Go for it, but it gets annoying when there is so much dreaming and promising but little ever gets done.

You'll get flamed if you post your ideas without any research on your end...

It's not about mods that people would do...it's about mods that won't work.

I know you are pretty cool...believe me, I see that and it's a good characteristic on your end. The thing is that if somebody doesn't agree with you they aren't a "hater". They just simply don't agree, and they may have their reasons.

If you are actually going through with your turbo plans (and I wish you the best if you do), then sure, it makes sense as a "while you're in there" sort of thing. But if you're just spouting out BS about some turbo setup that you dreamed up in class and have a $800 budget for and little understanding of the subject, then, well, you're a moron.

Not saying you're either of the two.
    Last edited by 4500 RPM; 05-27-2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Denton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast