Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Seeking advice re swirls and scratch fixes by dealer

My Cars
    BMW 530i

Seeking advice re swirls and scratch fixes by dealer

Just picked up my '03 jet black bimmer. When I did my inspection, I noticed big swirls on the hood and a few scratches on other parts of the body. The dealer offered to fix them and offered perma plate for free. I declined the perma plate because I plan to detail the car myself with Zaino.

Any advice regarding what I should be demanding the dealer to do to cure the swirls as well as the scratches. I don't want the dealer to do a quick fix by covering up the swirls. A friend told me to tell the dealer to fix the scratches by airbrushing paint ... they paint, let it sit, then remove with clay or polishing compound. I am worried that the scratch repairs could cause additional scratches.

Thanks

My Cars
    M3/4
    Well, let's think about this...the dealer put the swirls in...do you really believe that they can remove them? :

Find a good detailer (look at their work to see), or pick up a Porter Cable RO Polisher with some foam pads and some Swirl Mark Remover (either 3m or Meguiars - they're both easy to find) and remove the swirls yourself.

As for the airbrushing, any paint with metallic paint will be a PITA to match. Also airbrushing is more for things measured in mm, not feet.

Do not under any circumstances go back to the place that put the swirls in - they didn't do it right the first time, so they're not going to fix the problem - they'll just make it worse. I'd pick up the PC and enjoy detailing the car - then you'll know it's done right

My Cars
    328i
    Agreed with hal:

Do it yourself and it'll get done right.

It's a car dealer, not a detailing shop.

Browse the next several pages of this forum for lots of threads about using a Porter Cable to really make your baby shine.

My Cars
    '99 M3
    get an estimate (3?) from body shops and ask for $ then go use that to buy your PC and pads and shit! that way you will always have the means to remove swirls...
    picture coming soon...

My Cars
    '99 M3
    on other words, we can tell you where to go to get the swirls out and your car will look good temporarily, OR we can teach you to do it yourself and your car will be swirl free for life...i believe this might be an analogy of a fable...i just cant place it...
    picture coming soon...

My Cars
    325izzle
    How can it be kept swirl free for life? Works for older cars too??

My Cars
    328i
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.

Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.

My Cars
    328i
    Originally posted by Dnz
    How can it be kept swirl free for life? Works for older cars too??
    What he means is that we can teach you how to do it yourself, so that you can keep it looking good.