98 540i6
    red = race carrrrrrrr

My Cars
    I lost count
    Looking forward to installed pics.

My Cars
    09 328it (wife's)
    freethrow,

had imola in my e46 alpine m3. this is going to be an 'in your face' interior - props to you for being brave enough to do it. looking forward to the pics. i think the combo will look great...

My Cars
    2003 525i
    I wish I had a better camera. One that would capture the trim's color as it really looks in person. Nonetheless, I have these two:

Last edited by freethrowdunk; 10-25-2009 at 02:54 AM.

My Cars
    2011 BMW M3
    wow.. im actually a bit surprised on how well that actually turned out.. it looks great in my opinion.

You should also look into getting some high quality tight red/black fitted seat covers, to go with that... thatd be tight!

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, 97 318Ti
    Looks like you did a very good job on the paint there! I think it looks awesome!

Sold95 M3 - Ground Control Track/School coilovers | Eibach Sway bars | Powerdyne supercharger | Dinan Exhaust | WAR Chip

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by bigm77 View Post
    You should also look into getting some high quality tight red/black fitted seat covers, to go with that... thatd be tight!
    That is definitly what I wanna do next. The closer to the actual color of the trim the better.

Quote Originally Posted by nine9six View Post
    Looks like you did a very good job on the paint there! I think it looks awesome!
    I wish I could paint like that lol. But yes, my friend's shop did a superb job. Thanks!

I just wish I had one of those SLR cameras with the wide angle lens. I can imagine how awesome the pictures would look then.
    Last edited by freethrowdunk; 10-23-2009 at 04:43 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    So, I was thinking what to do with the shift knob and the lower part of the steering wheel. Should I Leave them as-is or paint either/or, or both with the same matching paint?

My Cars
    2011 BMW M3
    i don't knoow what you can really do, i think for the steering wheel you can get a piece to attach over the lower part, and paint it anyway you want..

shift knob....i dont no what you can do with that, i say leave that. But thats just me..

i think what you have now + some $$ nice seat covers would be bangin. I love the look. And i BADLY want your steering wheel.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hiya !

I like that too! it's different and still relatively inconspicous as well!

I've got the sought after high gloss black trims in my all black interior - I posted up a poll here some months back on 'if' I should change it. Most guys said leave it! which is what i'll probably go with. I'd say the split on the enthusiast forums is that 90-95% do not like the standard Vavona wood trim, so 'something' along the lines of what you've done here is done. The CF cloth is also an excellent very cost effective upgrade but of course, not everyone likes the CF.
    In this months Performance BMW magazine, there'sa small pic of an E39 interior where all the trims have been done in a Goldy Yellow colour which doesn't look half bad, the rest of the car has some yellow highlights I think as well, so there are a few other brave people out there!

The Auto Gearknob does indeed come apart and you can easily spray up the centre section to match - I've posted up an easy DIY on the UK forum I'm on here : http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/viewtopic.ph...24445&start=30

As for your steering wheel, Yes, the lower trim panel could well be painted - perhaps take some good quality pics of your interior, and i'm sure someone on this forum knows their photoshop and can 'pre plan' it for you by altering it.

I was going to also suggest - Finding a good leather supplier and using their swatch of colours, finding some leather that matches as closely to the colour you've painted and then re-trimming your steering wheel to match!

I've just looked at your pics again and you could 'almost' get away with it being a redwood - I don't know which trees do come this colour, but I'm sure i've seen wooden furniture etc that looks very similar to this colour.

Seeing as you've probably got quite a bit of paint left, i'm sure you could perhaps do some smaller bits as and when. Things like the seat plastic where the controls are, they come apart easily, can be painted up quickly and put back, perhaps the seatbelt anchor point 'cover' each side of the car.. Only reason I say this is again in the current Performance BMW magazine, I've seen one of the car's in real life - but they've leather covered lots of bits and it does look good, again, in a understated way and not all garish at all.

Things to ponder huh!!

Cheers, Dennis! West London UK!

My Cars
    2011 BMW M3

here you go. i did my best.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    i don't knoow what you can really do, i think for the steering wheel you can get a piece to attach over the lower part, and paint it anyway you want..

shift knob....i dont no what you can do with that, i say leave that. But thats just me..

i think what you have now + some $$ nice seat covers would be bangin. I love the look. And i BADLY want your steering wheel.
    Thanks!

I don't know about seat covers but somehow I want a matching two tone color on the seats. Dye? stitched leather? Something.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hiya !

I like that too! it's different and still relatively inconspicous as well!

I've got the sought after high gloss black trims in my all black interior - I posted up a poll here some months back on 'if' I should change it. Most guys said leave it! which is what i'll probably go with. I'd say the split on the enthusiast forums is that 90-95% do not like the standard Vavona wood trim, so 'something' along the lines of what you've done here is done. The CF cloth is also an excellent very cost effective upgrade but of course, not everyone likes the CF.
    In this months Performance BMW magazine, there'sa small pic of an E39 interior where all the trims have been done in a Goldy Yellow colour which doesn't look half bad, the rest of the car has some yellow highlights I think as well, so there are a few other brave people out there!

The Auto Gearknob does indeed come apart and you can easily spray up the centre section to match - I've posted up an easy DIY on the UK forum I'm on here : http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/viewtopic.ph...24445&start=30

As for your steering wheel, Yes, the lower trim panel could well be painted - perhaps take some good quality pics of your interior, and i'm sure someone on this forum knows their photoshop and can 'pre plan' it for you by altering it.

I was going to also suggest - Finding a good leather supplier and using their swatch of colours, finding some leather that matches as closely to the colour you've painted and then re-trimming your steering wheel to match!

I've just looked at your pics again and you could 'almost' get away with it being a redwood - I don't know which trees do come this colour, but I'm sure i've seen wooden furniture etc that looks very similar to this colour.

Seeing as you've probably got quite a bit of paint left, i'm sure you could perhaps do some smaller bits as and when. Things like the seat plastic where the controls are, they come apart easily, can be painted up quickly and put back, perhaps the seatbelt anchor point 'cover' each side of the car.. Only reason I say this is again in the current Performance BMW magazine, I've seen one of the car's in real life - but they've leather covered lots of bits and it does look good, again, in a understated way and not all garish at all.

Things to ponder huh!!

Cheers, Dennis! West London UK!
    Excellent post Dennis. Thank you for the compliments and the link to the shift knob DIY. I've considered all the points you made at one time or another and won't disregard it as time goes. This is going to be a steady progressing process. Changing the facet, one knob at a time.

here you go. i did my best.
    WOW, I need to do this!

Thanks!
    Last edited by freethrowdunk; 10-25-2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    ^ for once a red steering wheel actually looks GOOD!

BTW: what did you use to paint(color) you guage needles red?
    Last edited by Dking078; 06-03-2012 at 12:27 PM.
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post
    ^ for once a red sterring wheels actually looks GOOD!

BTW: what did you use to paint(color) you guage needles red?
    It's a red sharpie marker.

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by freethrowdunk View Post
    It's a red sharpie marker.
    any special trick? (in my though) with a smooth surface, the sharpie would cause air bubbles and come out un even, no? Or would it be more like paper and just layer it on until its a solid red.
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post
    any special trick? (in my though) with a smooth surface, the sharpie would cause air bubbles and come out un even, no? Or would it be more like paper and just layer it on until its a solid red.
    My friend, a member on here by the username of gjvah, did them. He just smoothly went over each needle once, allowed it to settle a few seconds and then did another pass. Just gently touching on them, nothing like writing on a white board or a poster.

This:

"just layer it on until its a solid red."
    Last edited by freethrowdunk; 10-25-2009 at 06:05 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Well, thanks to Gjvah once more, the complete makeover of the interior has commenced. Last night we installed the e-brake handle. Soon (I hope), I will buy the matching Hamann pedal covers and lastly the genuine silver carbon fiber for the trim pieces.

Here is a quick and dirty shot of the handle:

Here is what I hope to achieve ultimately:

Last edited by freethrowdunk; 08-09-2011 at 03:17 PM.

My Cars
    '95 6spd 540
    so no more red?
    - Hans - Mauritiusblau Metallic - Ultimate Klasse - Progress Thread: LINK

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by staystackin View Post
    so no more red?
    No. The idea of silver genuine carbon fiber overlayed with a hard clear shell + complimenting brushed aluminum additions has won me over.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Neat! red turned out good! Good luck with the carbon fiber look! Keeping such attention to detail as you have been you should have no problem making it look good!

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by e39beast View Post
    Neat! red turned out good! Good luck with the carbon fiber look! Keeping such attention to detail as you have been you should have no problem making it look good!
    Thanks, brother.

My Cars
    1999 540i sport and more
    Looks great, would look good on a maroon 5 to.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Installed the Hamann aluminum pedals with the help of Gjvah:

My Cars
    64-BUICK; 95-E34; 00-E39
    why are you using the e-brake on an automatic?

• 2000 BMW 540i/6 (Anthrazit Metallic 397)
    • 2001 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Bronzemist Metallic)
    • 1964 Buick Wildcat (Sunburst Yellow / Arctic White)

Fan Blades Can Explode.. Read My Thread

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by fragzem View Post
    why are you using the e-brake on an automatic?
    So the entire weight of the car doesn't rest on the transmission. Plus that picture was taken while the car was on a steep incline. But, it has become a habit to place the transmission on neutral, pull the e-brake, then place the transmission in P on any level surface.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast