Thread: ABS/ASC Code 20

My Cars
    1994 BMW 525i E34

ABS/ASC Code 20

Carsoft 6.5 reads a code 20 for the ABS/ASC module. I have most of the codes for the rest of the modules (thank you David), but lack this one.

Anyone know this code?

1994 E34 525i with an M50.

Thanks, Norm

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    This file contains information transposed from the BMW Car Club of Bulgaria forum site (Errors and omissions excluded)
    ABS 1
    0 Unidentified Error

1 ABS Hydro aggregate

2 Throttle Valve Signal

3 Ignition Time Error

4 Rear left speed sensor faulty or ABS inlet valve

5 Right rear speed sensor faulty or ABS inlet valve

6 Right front speed sensor faulty or ABS inlet valve

7 Left front speed sensor faulty or ABS inlet valve

8 Rear left ABS valve faulty

9 Rear right ABS valve faulty

10 Front right ABS valve faulty

11 Front left ABS valve faulty

12 Gearbox intervention

13 Idle speed RPM increasing

14 Valve relay fault

15 ABS Back-delivery pump fault

16 Throttle valve reduction

17 Front left wheel sensor

18 Front left wheel sensor

19 Accumulator pressure limit

20 Front left wheel sensor or EGS intervention error

21 Front left wheel sensor or ABS/ASC control unit defect

22 Speed signal sensor faulty

23 Equipment error (Automatic/Manual)

24 Incorrect gear wheel on one of the four wheels

25 Line interruption – brake light switch

27 Idle speed feed back signal

30 Left rear wheel speed sensor cable

31 Right rear wheel speed sensor cable

32 Right front wheel speed sensor cable

33 Left front (E38/E39) or Right (E46) wheel speed sensor cable

34 Wheel sensor, front right or ASC switch over valve

35 Brake fluid level signal error

36 Front right wheel sensor or ignition signal error

37 Front right wheel sensor or ABS/ASC Control unit internal error

38 Gas valve adjustment error

39 Servo motor electrical error

40 Gas valve potentiometer error

41 Steering angle error

47 Fault, outlet valve, rear left

48 Fault, outlet valve, rear right

49 Wheel sensor, rear left or outlet valve front right

50 Wheel sensor, rear left or outlet valve front left

51 Fault, inlet valve, rear left

52 Wheel sensor rear left or inlet valve rear right

53 Wheel sensor rear left or inlet valve front right

54 Fault, inlet valve, front left

55 Fault, ASC shutoff valve

56 CAN Error (short circuit)

57 Throttle valve signal from the DME faulty

58 CAN Error (Open circuit to DME)

59 Fault, ASC shutoff valve

60 Signal, terminal 30 faulty

61 Central blocking

62 Max. ABD adjustment time

63 Processor fault in the control unit

64 Continuous control due to undefined signal interference

65 Wheel sensor rear right or bad feedback signal

66 Wheel sensor rear right or wheel speed sensor power supply

67 CAN Error

68 Wheel sensor rear right

69 Wheel sensor rear right

75 ASC indicator lamp

81 Inlet valve front left

82 Inlet valve front right

83 Inlet valve rear left

84 Inlet valve rear right

85 Outlet valve front left

86 Outlet valve front right

87 Outlet valve rear left

88 Outlet valve rear right

89 Power supply too low

90 Time limitation: passive switching

91 CAN Error

92 Pressure sensor (pre charging pump)

94 RPM sensor (Test)

95 Activation

96 Actuator test

97 ASC intake valve / Steering angle sensor

98 Separate valve

99 Electromagnetic switch over valve

100 Electromagnetic switch over valve

103 Brake light switch

104 Steering angle sensor

105 Brake light switch

106 Lateral acceleration sensor

107 RPM sensor (Gradient)

113 ABS/ASC feed back pump

115 ABS/ASC control unit internal error

118 Electromagnetic or mechanical influence on the wheel speed signals

120 Power supply voltage too high (>18V)

129 ABS/ASC Main relay circuit faulty

130 Power supply fault at the magnetic valves

131 Wrong current at magnetic valves

133 Power supply > too high

145 CAN chip in the ABS/ASC control unit

146 CAN Error

147 CAN Error – engine intervention

148 CAN Error – engine speed (RPM)

149 CAN Error – DME/DDE connection

150 CAN Error – EGS

151 Coding Error

152 DSC button

161 RPM sensor

162 RPM Signal

163 Lateral acceleration sensor

164 Lateral acceleration sensor

165 Pressure sensor 1

166 Pressure sensor 2

167 Pressure sensors

168 Pressure sensors power supply

177 Pre charge pump

178 Pre charge pump

180 Steering angle sensor (signal 1)

181 Steering angle sensor (identification)

182 Steering angle sensor (CAN)

183 Steering angle sensor (internal)

184 Steering angle sensor (offset)

ABS 2
    0 Unidentified error – erase the error memory

2 EML interface fault – Check the connecting lines from Pins 6, 8 & 14 of the EML. If the fault cannot be located, reset the error memory and run an EGS Diagnostic check.

3 DME interface fault – Check control line Pin Check the size of tyres on all rims, check wheel bearing clearance, pulse wheels, rotational speed sensor (visual check for damage and dirt) 39 to the DME

4 Sensor fault rear left – Check the size of tyres on all rims, check wheel bearing clearance, pulse wheels, rotational speed sensor (visual check for damage and dirt)

5 Sensor fault rear right -Check the size of tyres on all rims, check wheel bearing clearance, pulse wheels, rotational speed sensor (visual check for damage and dirt)

6 Sensor fault front right -Check the size of tyres on all rims, check wheel bearing clearance, pulse wheels, rotational speed sensor (visual check for damage and dirt)

7 Sensor fault front left - Check the size of tyres on all rims, check wheel bearing clearance, pulse wheels, rotational speed sensor (visual check for damage and dirt)

8 ABS valve fault rear left – Check the plug and socket connection on the ABS hydraulic aggregates for correct seating and corrosion. Check the wire from Pin 2 of the ABS/ASC unit to Pin 5 of the ABS hydraulic aggregate. If no fault is found, erase the stored fault codes and re-diagnose. If fault reoccurs replace the control unit.

9 ABS valve fault rear right – Check the plug and socket connection on the ABS hydraulic aggregates for correct seating and corrosion. Check the wire from Pin 36 of the ABS/ASC unit to Pin 7 of the ABS hydraulic aggregate. If no fault is found, erase the stored fault codes and re-diagnose. If fault reoccurs replace the control unit.

10 ABS valve fault front right – Check the plug and socket connection on the ABS hydraulic aggregates for correct seating and corrosion. Check the wire from Pin 22 of the ABS/ASC unit to Pin 3 of the ABS hydraulic aggregate. If no fault is found, erase the stored fault codes and re-diagnose. If fault reoccurs replace the control unit.

11 ABS valve fault front left – Check the plug and socket connection on the ABS hydraulic aggregates for correct seating and corrosion. Check the wire from Pin 19 of the ABS/ASC unit to Pin 1 of the ABS hydraulic aggregate. If no fault is found, erase the stored fault codes and re-diagnose. If fault reoccurs replace the control unit.

12 Plunger valve fault rear left – Check supply voltage on the magnetic valve is 12v. Check magnetic valve for visible damage and corrosion, if damaged replace the magnetic valve.

13 Plunger valve fault – Check supply voltage on the magnetic valve is 12v. Check magnetic valve for visible damage and corrosion, if damaged replace the magnetic valve.

14 ABS valve relay fault - Reset the fault code and test drive the vehicle before re-diagnosing. If fault code resets check the valve relay for correct seating and contacts for corrosion. Check relay operation by switching ignition on and off to ensure relay pulls in and check supply voltage at valve relay.

15 Rear feed pump fault - Check engine relay for correct seating and contacts for corrosion. Check ABS hydraulic aggregates earth connection and earth connection and function of pump motor.

16 ASC+T storage load valve fault – Check function of magnetic valve plunger on hydraulic aggregate.

17 Wheel sensor front/Inlet valve front left – Check connection between valve and master relay and that master relay and valve are functioning properly.

18 Wheel sensor outlet/valve front left - Check connection between valve and master relay and that master relay and valve are functioning properly.

20 Wheel sensor/inlet valve front right - Check connection between valve and master relay and that master relay and valve are functioning properly.

24 Wheel sensor/outlet valve front right - Check connection between valve and master relay and that master relay and valve are functioning properly.

33 Wheel sensor/Inlet valve rear left - Check connection between valve and master relay and that master relay and valve are functioning properly.

34 Wheel sensor/outlet valve rear left - Check connection between valve and master relay and that master relay and valve are functioning properly.

36 Inlet valve rear right

37 Front right wheel speed sensor

40 Rear output valve function

49 Power supply to magnetic valves

50 Throttle valve mechanical defect

56 ASC separate valve function faulty

65 ASC computer faulty

66 DME RPM signal faulty

68 Control unit defect – Replace ABS control unit

72 Internal fault – Replace ABS control unit

81 Rotational speed sensor front left - Check connection between rotational speed sensor and control unit for short circuits or a broken connection

82 Rotational speed sensor front right - Check connection between rotational speed sensor and control unit for short circuits or a broken connection

84 Rotational speed sensor rear left - Check connection between rotational speed sensor and control unit for short circuits or a broken connection

88 Rotational speed sensor rear right - Check connection between rotational speed sensor and control unit for short circuits or a broken connection

97 Rotational speed signal front left – Check plug and socket connections of rotational speed sensor. Check air-gap between rotational speed sensor and pulse wheel and reduce if necessary. Pulse wheel may have incorrect number of teeth or rotational speed sensor possibly defective.

98 Rotational speed signal front right – Check plug and socket connections of rotational speed sensor. Check air-gap between rotational speed sensor and pulse wheel and reduce if necessary. Pulse wheel may have incorrect number of teeth or rotational speed sensor possibly defective.

100 Rotational speed signal rear left – Check plug and socket connections of rotational speed sensor. Check air-gap between rotational speed sensor and pulse wheel and reduce if necessary. Pulse wheel may have incorrect number of teeth or rotational speed sensor possibly defective.

104 Rotational speed signal rear right – Check plug and socket connections of rotational speed sensor. Check air-gap between rotational speed sensor and pulse wheel and reduce if necessary. Pulse wheel may have incorrect number of teeth or rotational speed sensor possibly defective.

113 Rotational speed information front left – Check plug and socket connections of rotational speed sensor. Check air-gap between rotational speed sensor and pulse wheel and reduce if necessary. Pulse wheel may have incorrect number of teeth or rotational speed sensor possibly defective.

114 Rotational speed information front right – Check plug and socket connections of rotational speed sensor. Check air-gap between rotational speed sensor and pulse wheel and reduce if necessary. Pulse wheel may have incorrect number of teeth or rotational speed sensor possibly defective.

116 Rotational speed information rear left – Check plug and socket connections of rotational speed sensor. Check air-gap between rotational speed sensor and pulse wheel and reduce if necessary. Pulse wheel may have incorrect number of teeth or rotational speed sensor possibly defective.

120 Rotational speed information rear right – Check plug and socket connections of rotational speed sensor. Check air-gap between rotational speed sensor and pulse wheel and reduce if necessary. Pulse wheel may have incorrect number of teeth or rotational speed sensor possibly defective.

129 DME connection faulty

130 Throttle valve potentiometer

132 Pedal travel sensor - Check for sensor defect short circuits and/or interruption to power supply

133 Valve power supply voltage too high

136 Fault in brake hydraulic system –Check for leaks or air in brake hydraulic system.

145 Failure in pump power supply – Check lines to the ABS control unit and pump motor relay. Check ABS master relay for short circuit and/or interruption to power supply. Fault may result from one or all of the above conditions.

146 Coding fault

148 Motor temperature over CAN Bus

152 Hydraulic pedal travel sensor – Check brake system for leaks and/or air in system. Check pedal travel sensor for intermittent contact.

161 Outlet valve front left or front left RPM sensor – Check inlet and outlet valve connections for tightness. Ensure that rotational speed sensors have not been mixed up and if necessary, replace outlet valve.

162 Outlet valve front right or front right RPM sensor – Check inlet and outlet valve connections for tightness. Ensure that rotational speed sensors have not been mixed up and if necessary, replace outlet valve.

164 Outlet valve rear left or rear left RPM sensor – Check inlet and outlet valve connections for tightness. Ensure that rotational speed sensors have not been mixed up and if necessary, replace outlet valve.

168 Outlet valve rear right or rear right RPM sensor – Check inlet and outlet valve connections for tightness. Ensure that rotational speed sensors have not been mixed up and if necessary, replace outlet valve.

177 Fault valve load circuit fuse – Check ABS circuit fuses and relay

184 CAN Error

193 DME ignition signal faulty

255 Accumulator fault – Replace control unit.

ABS3

5d90 Left front wheel speed sensor; accident recognition

5d91 Left front wheel speed sensor; extrapolation

5d92 Left front wheel speed sensor; periodical control

5d93 Left front wheel speed sensor; accident recognition

5d94 Left front wheel speed sensor; long term control

5dA0 Right front wheel speed sensor; accident recognition

5dA1 Right front wheel speed sensor; Extrapolation

5dA2 Right front wheel speed sensor; periodical control

5dA3 Right front wheel speed sensor; accident recognition

5dA4 Right front wheel speed sensor; long term control

5dB0 Left rear wheel speed sensor; accident recognition

5dB1 Left rear wheel speed sensor; extrapolation

5dB2 Left rear wheel speed sensor; periodical control

5dB3 Left rear wheel speed sensor; accident recognition

5dB4 Left rear wheel speed sensor; long term control

5dC0 Right rear wheel speed sensor; accident recognition

5dC1 Right rear wheel speed sensor; extrapolation
    5dC2 Right rear wheel speed sensor; periodical control

5dC3 Right rear wheel speed sensor; accident recognition

5dC4 Right rear wheel speed sensor; long term control

5dF0 Pump engine

5dF2 Internal error Valve/ECU Hardware error, ROM/RAM check

5dF4 Power Supply < 9 volts

5dF5 Control unit internal error

5dF7 Power supply > 18 volts

5e00 Tyre test active

5e01 Tyre test timeout

5e02 Tyre test gyration sensor justification error

5e03 Tyre test gyration sensor error

5e04 Tyre test lateral acceleration sensor error

5e05 Tyre test lateral acceleration sensor error and gyration sensor

5e06 Tyre test gyration sensor wrong construction

5e07 Tyre test lateral acceleration sensor error and gyration sensor wrong construction

5e08 Tyre test steering wheel sensor error

5e11 Internal error CAN Controller

5e14 CAN Timeout DME/DDE

5e15 CAN Timeout EGS

5e16 CAN Timeout Instrument Cluster

5e18 CAN DME/DDE message faulty

5e19 CAN DME/DDE

5e1A CAN DME/DDE Signal Error

5e1E CAN Timeout LWS

5e1F Steering wheel sensor; not initialized

5e59 Coding error

5e5B Switch pressed longer than 10 seconds or faulty

5e5D Brake fluid level switch

5e5E Brake light switch

5e20 Pressure sensor 1 accident recognition

5e21 Pressure sensor 2 accident recognition

5e24 Pressure sensors not plausible; pressure sensor 1 / 2 not plausible

5e26 Sensor power supply

5e2F Temperature sensor

5e30 Lateral acceleration sensor accident recognition

5e32 Lateral acceleration signal not plausible

5e38 Wheel speed sensor accident recognition

5e3C Wheel speed not plausible

5e40 Lateral acceleration signal not plausible, offset

5e43 Lateral acceleration internal error

5e4E DSC sensor offset check

5e4F Long time regulation DSC

My Cars
    1994 BMW 525i E34
    Thank you again, David.

The EGS intervention error code makes the most sense in my situation. I swapped out the EGS module with a unit I bought off ebay. Time will tell if there is any resolution on the intermittant "Trans Program" readout when starting. So far, it has not surfaced.

On another note, I also changed out the SRS module with some success. The SRS light now will extinguish after two minutes and some odd seconds, but it too returns a Code 20, which is the passenger occupancy sensor error. Why it takes that long to go out is a mystery, at least to me, but no complaint. The light consistently goes out after the same delay.

I am slowly getting the bugs out. Persistance is key.

Norm

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    The passenger seat occupancy sensor is a common source of SRS errors. Mine went quite a while ago and I built the little circuit shown on the shared website for about $0.50. Although I since purchased a replacement sensor mat, the circuit works so well that I have not bothered to install the replacement mat for over 2 years! I would clean the front left wheel sensor, as if this sends a bad signal to the EGS it can cause the intervention.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 525i E34
    I recall seeing that circuit desription. Where is the connector to the mat sensor? Do I access it from the front or back; or it is located on the seat back?

I will check out the front left wheel sensor. It is likely the problem why I do not receive an EGS code.

Thanks, Norm

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    The seat occupancy sensor wire runs down the back of the seat squab cushion and clips into a black plastic junction box about 38mm x 65mm x 16mm mounted almost centrally under the seat. Push the seat all the way forward and tilt the seat back forward and you should see it. The wires are sheathed in a black vinyl casing about 6mm in diameter and from memory on my car are about the same diameter as telephone/data wires (1 x blue and 1 x white in colour).

My Cars
    1994 BMW 525i E34
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    The seat occupancy sensor wire runs down the back of the seat squab cushion and clips into a black plastic junction box about 38mm x 65mm x 16mm mounted almost centrally under the seat. Push the seat all the way forward and tilt the seat back forward and you should see it. The wires are sheathed in a black vinyl casing about 6mm in diameter and from memory on my car are about the same diameter as telephone/data wires (1 x blue and 1 x white in colour).
    Thanks David. I appreciate the sage advice.

Norm

My Cars
    BMW E36
    Hi David

new at this 113 ABS/ASC feed back pump.
    could it be ABS pump or speed sensor don't no which one.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Ernbmw, the code appears to relate to the pump. I would be checking all your wiring connections and relays as per the BMW Electrical Troubleshooting Manual before I moved any further.

My Cars
    BMW E36

Angry

Hi every one need help on a code
    , 146 can error

My Cars
    2002 540i Sport
    Why the hell would carsoft create this software without a way to interpret the codes? I am starting to get pissed!!!

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    It's a BMW rather than a Carsoft thing. All diagnostic software identifies trouble codes, but BMW's code definition tables can be hard to find.

My Cars
    97' 520i, 85' 635CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post

3 Ignition Time Error
    Anyone knows what this code means? E34 M5 3.8 3/1992 ABS light is on and this code is given in carsoft 6.5 ???

My Cars
    Silver BMW
    Those bugs are kinda annoying already. I really hope they will be able to fix their software.

My Cars
    BMW Z4
    My Z4 is now showing signs of gremlin infections with different warning lights appearing on the dash. A check by the local Bosch specialist revealed a fault from the RCM (whatever that is) fault code 20. Th thread so far suggests a fault with a front wheel sensor, could my problem be the same thing? How the hell do I clear the problem?

My Cars
    1986 BMW 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by namron68 View Post
    Carsoft 6.5 reads a code 20 for the ABS/ASC module. I have most of the codes for the rest of the modules (thank you David), but lack this one.

Anyone know this code?

Thanks, Norm
    I know this thread is old but its worth a shot ! I have a ASC light on in my 95' 530i. scanned it with a NT510 and came up with code 20 EGS Intervention Faulty. Heres 1 key thing: the car was swapped from an auto trans to 5 speed... does an EGS need to be swapped also? would appreciate any insight. THanks!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjumps View Post
    I know this thread is old but its worth a shot ! I have a ASC light on in my 95' 530i. scanned it with a NT510 and came up with code 20 EGS Intervention Faulty. Heres 1 key thing: the car was swapped from an auto trans to 5 speed... does an EGS need to be swapped also? would appreciate any insight. THanks!
    No, you just need to have the car coded (programmed) properly. It requires some fairly special tools for your year range.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1986 BMW 535i
    Any idea if this can be done with a Foxwell NT510? I don't even know who I would ask to do this... I feel like an Indy shop would yell at me if I asked them so. If this doesn't clear the ASC dash light then I'm guessing check the front wheel speed sensor? Thanks for your reply. John

My Cars
    1986 BMW 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by namron68 View Post

Anyone know this code?

Thanks, Norm

Norm can you tell me what your issue was? I have the same fault code, 530i was swapped from auto to manual however. John

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The problem is that your car isn't programmed correctly to manual mode. I doubt a Foxwell can do it.

EGS = German acronym for automatic transmission module
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S