Thread: DME Wiring harness loose?

My Cars
    95 M3 and 15 Fiesta ST

DME Wiring harness loose?

I've finally narrowed down my problem. I haven't had much time to work on it, but today I finally did.

I wanted to check for spark and fuel, so I sprayed some starter fluid into the tb and voila.. the car started and then died. I replaced my fuel pump relay and played with the DME relay a little.

I checked for power at the positive terminal in front of the DME and it is fine. I checked for input battery voltage on the ECU harness and it was fine.

However, my harness is not making a good connection with the DME. When I tried to start the car, it would crank and not start, but when my friend pressed the harness into the back of the DME real hard, bingo.. Car started. We played around with this and it was pretty consistent. When he didn't touch it, car would crank and not start. When he would press the harness into the DME, car would fire right up.

I searched and didn't find anything, has anyone heard of this before?

I'm going to pick up some electrical connection cleaner tomorrow morning and try that out, but if the pins aren't touching firmly, that's why I've had this problem and also explains why its been so inconsistent.

What are my options here? I really don't want to try and find a wiring harness from another car and do a swap.

My Cars
    87 325is
    The DME & harness connector may have been wet in the past and suffered corrosion. Contact cleaner may help, but in stubborn cases replacement of the DME and/or harness may be required
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    95 M3 and 15 Fiesta ST
    The car was fine last year, and I had it in storage for the winter. I don't believe that it got wet when it was just sitting and I have only drove it twice this year. Is there anything else that would cause this to happen?

A harness swap would require a motor pull right?

My Cars
    N/A
    I'd just swap in someone's good DME first... I had mine tested and it came back fine, but i still had your problem intermittently. Put in a new one and VOILA!

My Cars
    95 M3 and 15 Fiesta ST
    Yeah, I've tried with 2 other DME's and its the same thing. Just cranks