Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kmoy's DIY $5 Aux Cable (Lots of Pics)

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by whitecouch View Post
    I would ask xisco44, his works.
    he's been helpin me but no luck yet

My Cars
    2001 540i/6
    Is there a certain type and guage of wire I should use? Copper? Braided? Not braided?

My Cars
    99 528iT:07 Civic EX
    Quote Originally Posted by gcbimmer View Post
    Is there a certain type and guage of wire I should use? Copper? Braided? Not braided?
    Definitely copper braided wire. Solid wire is not made for automotive use. 18ga should suffice. Copper is just the standard for automotive use.

My Cars
    2001 540i/6
    How do these come into play?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    02 525iT
    I made the connector today and tried it out on my 2002 525iT, build date 06/02, and unfortunately it did not work! The cable and connectors all worked well, but the MID does not switch to the CD changer function. Does anyone know if there is some way to program the MID to be able to switch over to the CD changer function so thatthis mod will work??
    Thanks in advance

My Cars
    How do these come into play?
    It does not, it is just the rest of his radio shack purchase.

My Cars
    2001 540i/6

halfway there

This is what came out with my first try at this. Pretty messy and I can always do another. Didn't clean up the plastic yet either. I wasn't worried about the color of the wires and left, right or ground. I can figure that out later. All I wanted to do was solder and get them in the right pins (3,4 & 10) without contacting one another. Would be a lot easier with another pair of hands or a soldering kit to hold things in place while I soldered. Not good, but not that bad considering what I had to work with. What do you all think...should it work? Should I do it over, but cleaner? Do I now have to cover the connections with epoxy or something of the sort? Or is it off to Radio Shack for the 1/8" Stereo Panel-Mount Audio Jack, solder that and give it a go? Any advice or comments are appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by gcbimmer; 12-28-2009 at 06:40 PM.

My Cars
    Looks great, finish it up and use it!! I covered my connections, I'd do it just to be safe, but honestly, as for looks, you'll never see it again. I wrapped my wires to keep with the stock look.

My Cars
    Chevy Express Diesel
    Oh man...

I contacted BSW to buy their kit...and the answer I got from my email was that sirius/xm units were out of stock.

I'd really like to put Sirius in my wifes 1999 540it, but I am beyond clueless when it comes to this stuff.

Where can I buy a kit etc....

My Cars
    2001 540i/6
    Looks great, finish it up and use it!! I covered my connections, I'd do it just to be safe, but honestly, as for looks, you'll never see it again. I wrapped my wires to keep with the stock look.
    I just picked up the 1/8" Stereo Panel-Mount Audio Jack and am hoping to get this all soldered and ready to go this week. I have a hot glue gun that I will use to cover the connections. Should that be ok? Also, before I plug in, do I need to disconnect the battery during the plug in? Or is it ok to just do it with the car turned off?

My Cars
    I used hot glue, I don't see why it won't hold up. It isn't the cleanest or most professional look, but its hidden.

I didn't disconnect the battery and I have had zero issues, I even reconnected it with the car on the second time around (it slipped out when I pulled the radio), YMMV.

My Cars
    2001 540i/6
    I used hot glue, I don't see why it won't hold up. It isn't the cleanest or most professional look, but its hidden.

I didn't disconnect the battery and I have had zero issues, I even reconnected it with the car on the second time around (it slipped out when I pulled the radio), YMMV.
    Do I just disconnect the plug I have circled in red with the one I fabricated? Can I just leave the one I unplug unconnected and tucked away behind the unit? Also, I am having trouble getting out the plug circled in green. It would make it a lot easier if I could get the CD unit out of the way as there is not much slack in the wires to work with. I don't want to force it, how is this clipped in? Also, I didn't try yet, but might as well ask now, any trick to get the one circled in red out of the harness? I think I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel...
    Thanks.
    Last edited by gcbimmer; 01-01-2010 at 03:33 PM.

My Cars
    I didn't have anything plugged in there... I don't see why it wouldn't work if you tried it.

My Cars
    2001 540i/6
    I didn't have anything plugged in there... I don't see why it wouldn't work if you tried it.
    All plugged in and working!!! Now all I have to do is figure out where I want to install the jack. I see alot of people put it in the glove box, but I am going to want the ipod handy to select tunage. Might have to go with the cupholder even though I really don't want it there. Any other suggestions?
    And Thanks for all your help!!

My Cars
    2008 e92 335i
    has anyone figured out a way to have it work on a pre 2003 model?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW1023i View Post
    Make one and try it? Mine is a 99 and it worked just fine.

My Cars
    2001 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW1023i View Post
    First thing you should do is remove your CD unit and see what kind of plugs you have in the back. Take a digital of it and post it. You can get more help if we can see what you have.

My Cars
    2001 530i 5sp
    Do I just disconnect the plug I have circled in red with the one I fabricated? Can I just leave the one I unplug unconnected and tucked away behind the unit? Also, I am having trouble getting out the plug circled in green. It would make it a lot easier if I could get the CD unit out of the way as there is not much slack in the wires to work with. I don't want to force it, how is this clipped in? Also, I didn't try yet, but might as well ask now, any trick to get the one circled in red out of the harness? I think I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel...
    Thanks.
    The existing plug is for the prewired cellphone. The instructions for the BMW Aux adapter cable kit tell you, if you have this plug, to take the three wire pins out of the Aux adapter cable plug and insert them into the existing cellphone connector plug (they are the same). This way both the cellphone and Aux inputs remain available.

Keith

My Cars
    Non-BMW gas saver
    Quote Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
    The existing plug is for the prewired cellphone. The instructions for the BMW Aux adapter cable kit tell you, if you have this plug, to take the three wire pins out of the Aux adapter cable plug and insert them into the existing cellphone connector plug (they are the same). This way both the cellphone and Aux inputs remain available.

Keith
    The rear of mine looks the same as gcbimmer's. I tried putting the pins on 3,4,and 10 but it didn't work. Any ideas? Here is a pic of my CD unit:

My Cars
    88 Supra Turbo/ 02 540i
    October 2001 - Dosent have the AUX input.. I have a 5/02 540 and it didnt have it either... From what I could find... 09/02 and up have the AUX input.

My Cars
    Non-BMW gas saver
    Quote Originally Posted by supraman88t View Post
    October 2001 - Dosent have the AUX input.. I have a 5/02 540 and it didnt have it either... From what I could find... 09/02 and up have the AUX input.
    total disappointment.

My Cars
    98 740i 01 330Ci MKII TD
    If you use the kind of 1/8" plug that "switches" (just like a laptop - if you're plugged in, the sound only goes to the headphones and vice-versa) inline between the headunit and the changer, you will not lose the use of the changer. The problem I am having is I have no way of knowing which wire goes to which pin without destroying the cable.

Does anyone know what color wire corresponds with which pin?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Just a quick question.

Does AUX mode only show up after this adapter has been plugged in? For anyone who has successfully done this.

My Cars
    03 F350
    Just spend the whole day on this. I suppose I should have read the forums first. However allow me to clarify. My cd player says 01 November. That means it was manufactured in NOVEMBER 2001 ? And That model does NOT have AUX ?

PS: sry for brining up a dead thread. Also Thanks OP you motivated me to get off my ass and actually do something.
    02 BMW 525i Auto //// 00 BMW 528i Auto <--- Projects. ///// 1998 528i Auto - Sold
    1997 BMW 528i Auto Black/Greyish ///// 00 BMW 528i Auto Black/Black - Sold

02 BMW 540i 6spd Black/Black M-Sport - sold ///// 05 Suzuki GSX600F Katana - Sold
    99 Nissan Maxima 5spd SE-L - Sold ///// 90 Supra 5spd Turbo Targa 1jz - Sold
    89 Supra 5spd Turbo Hardtop 7M - Sold /////
    90 SAAB 900 5spd Turbo - Sold

My Cars
    M52 5MT Sport 01/98
    Quote Originally Posted by UkiSash View Post
    Just spend the whole day on this. I suppose I should have read the forums first. However allow me to clarify. My cd player says 01 November. That means it was manufactured in NOVEMBER 2001 ? And That model does NOT have AUX ?

PS: sry for brining up a dead thread. Also Thanks OP you motivated me to get off my ass and actually do something.
    From what I've read, only software 40 and 50, manufactured 9/2002+ have AUX capability. I think you are SOL dude. This listing should help confirm: http://bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/694974
    Rules to live by:
    - Fast, reliable, cheap. You can only have two.
    - Do it right, or do it twice.
    - BMW: Just because you can afford to buy one, that doesn't mean you can afford to own one.

1998 528i 5-speed sport - sandbeige with technical graphite trim - Jim Conforti Shark Injector - CDV delete - MY2000 M5 Xenon headlights - MY2000 M5 tails - PP M5 front bumper - E46 M3 paper filter - E60 545i shifter w/ E46 ZHP knob - 12" Alpine Type-R & 500w RF - CD53 w/ AUX input

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast