Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kmoy's DIY $5 Aux Cable (Lots of Pics)

My Cars
    One of a kind
    Is it possible to get aux instead of tape player and keep cd changer?

My Cars
    2008 e92 335i
    Hey guys I've tried this and it still doesn't seem to work I have a 2001 with the buisiness cd is there any other way to do this o get the aux

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6Speed

Help with the hex head!

I tried to do this, only to take off the power knob and the hex head was stripped... It looks like there is only a hole there. Am i totally screwed in getting the stereo out? Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    88' M3, 91' M5
    ^^^ i think im stuck in the same situation, but i think my screw is missing... anyone have any advice?!?

My Cars
    2008 e92 335i
    i had same problem taking my unit out. Best bet is to take out the cup holders and remove the heating control unit along with the trim. this way you can stick you hand in and get to the back of the radio and with a little force push it out. goodluck

to save you some time tho it doesnt work on cars pre 2003

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6Speed

Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by BMW1023i View Post
    i had same problem taking my unit out. Best bet is to take out the cup holders and remove the heating control unit along with the trim. this way you can stick you hand in and get to the back of the radio and with a little force push it out. goodluck

to save you some time tho it doesnt work on cars pre 2003
    I figured that would be the way but I pulled a big no no and got really frustrated and just put a flat head screwdriver on the left side of the stereo between it and the dash right by where the screw is and really pried at it... No damage, and the stereo did come out... So there is a way to get it out if you do need to, it just takes some guts... It makes a terrible clicking noise like something broke when you do get it out, but nothing broke on mine at least.

Is there any way to get an aux in for the pre 03 units (I have an 01)? Or am I stuck with the FM modulator? Not a huge deal, but would be nice to have an aux in.

My Cars
    99 528iT:07 Civic EX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon540i View Post
    Is my question so stupid that everyone is just ignoring it?
    Totally not a stupid question. I have a 99 with the Business CD and CD Changer and this worked like a charm. My only addition is that the the DIY reads like this:
    You want to focus in on the lower right set of pins. Specifically pins 3, 4 and 10. Pin 4 is left audio, pin 4 is right audio and pin 10 is ground

However it should specift that pin #3 is left. Also, Radio shack has a clear model currently, it is the one that the link provided directs you to. You do not have to test with this one, the tip is left (mono) and the band is right (stereo). So when you jam a male end into the female plug, just observe which pole touches the tip and which touches the band. It should sort it out for you.

Thanks for the kick ass DIY. This eliminated the need for DICE in my case for about three bucks.

My Cars
    88' M3, 91' M5
    ^^ wait, so there is a way to do this on pre 03?? i have an 02 with business cd, is there a way that i could wire up my ipod still? little confused on which wires to put on what leads...

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by airkhin View Post
    ^^ wait, so there is a way to do this on pre 03?? i have an 02 with business cd, is there a way that i could wire up my ipod still? little confused on which wires to put on what leads...
    There are only three wires. The poles are labeled 1-6 and 7-12 where they need to go. The three wires that you connect at 3, 4, and 10 connect to the jack. I suppose I could have taken pictures but the DIY was pretty thorough.

My Cars
    2001 540i/6
    Does anyone know if it will work with my business CD player. I have a 2001 540, but the business CD player was replaced by the previous owner in 2007. It does play mp3 cd's, that much I know, but I do not know the manufacturing date on it or if it matters? Also, that wire from your old computer, do you just cut through the connector to convert it to a six prong plug and removed all but pins 3, 4 & 10? Also, this might sound crazy, but my experience with making electric connections via soldering is little to none. Once to be exact...so is there a risk of fire with the solder connection behind the dash once installed? I am not talking about fire while I am soldering. I am talking about after I have soldered the connection and close everything up. How about battery drain?

Thanks.

My Cars
    02 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsBFc View Post
    If you make me one so i can just buy it and just plug it in my car?
    +4
    OP have you decided if you are going to be making any of these??
    Please PM me if so

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by gcbimmer View Post
    Does anyone know if it will work with my business CD player. I have a 2001 540, but the business CD player was replaced by the previous owner in 2007. It does play mp3 cd's, that much I know, but I do not know the manufacturing date on it or if it matters? Also, that wire from your old computer, do you just cut through the connector to convert it to a six prong plug and removed all but pins 3, 4 & 10? Also, this might sound crazy, but my experience with making electric connections via soldering is little to none. Once to be exact...so is there a risk of fire with the solder connection behind the dash once installed? I am not talking about fire while I am soldering. I am talking about after I have soldered the connection and close everything up. How about battery drain?

Thanks.
    It's cheap and easy enough that it won't set you back much to try.

The space the plug has to fit in is small, so you'll have to trim the plug down to 6x2 without much on either side. You can cut through it with just about anything. I used a file to get it down to size after I cut it.

I then pulled all of the unnecessary pins, soldered the three leads to the plug, and then soldered them to the jack as prescribed in the DIY. The area to solder onto depends on the plug used. I wasn't afforded much with my plug, but you won't need much.

I used some epoxy to keep the wire ends from ever coming in contact with each other. YMMV.

My Cars
    2001 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by whitecouch View Post
    It's cheap and easy enough that it won't set you back much to try.

The space the plug has to fit in is small, so you'll have to trim the plug down to 6x2 without much on either side. You can cut through it with just about anything. I used a file to get it down to size after I cut it.

I then pulled all of the unnecessary pins, soldered the three leads to the plug, and then soldered them to the jack as prescribed in the DIY. The area to solder onto depends on the plug used. I wasn't afforded much with my plug, but you won't need much.

I used some epoxy to keep the wire ends from ever coming in contact with each other. YMMV.
    Would it be safe to say that it should work if the back of my business CD looks to have the same back (plug configuration) as the one shown in the original post pics?
    Thanks.

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    The only way to know for sure is to either test it, or see what model number your BM53 radio is, and compare it to the chart from Brian in this link:

http://bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/694974

If your radio was replaced recently, you may have a newer radio that supports not only Aux input, but may play MP3s (with the appropriate CDC) & may even support Sirius.

BTW - a quick question for any of you that have the Aux input set up -
    Can you still get to the Aux mode if there's nothing connected to the Aux input jack(s)? As in, if you use an iPod for the audio source for the Aux input, and you disconnect the jack from the iPod, can you still get to the Aux mode?

Thanks!
    Last edited by sealbeach740; 12-11-2009 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    Would it be safe to say that it should work if the back of my business CD looks to have the same back (plug configuration) as the one shown in the original post pics?
    Thanks.
    If you have that type of plug I'd at least try it. If I thought my work looked better I'd make one and send it to you to try.

Quote Originally Posted by sealbeach740 View Post
    The only way to know for sure is to either test it, or see what model number your BM53 radio is, and compare it to the chart from Brian in this link:

http://bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/694974

If your radio was replaced recently, you may have a newer radio that supports not only Aux input, but may play MP3s (with the appropriate CDC) & may even support Sirius.

BTW - a quick question for any of you that have the Aux input set up -
    Can you still get to the Aux mode if there's nothing connected to the Aux input jack(s)? As in, if you use an iPod for the audio source for the Aux input, and you disconnect the jack from the iPod, can you still get to the Aux mode?

Thanks!
    No, once I disconnect, it leaves AUX mode.
    Last edited by whitecouch; 12-11-2009 at 05:38 PM.

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the cassette player on a 02/2000 528i? It's the same as the one in post #22 and I need to find out which pins are for left, right, and ground.

My Cars
    2001 540i/6
    [QUOTE=whitecouch;18140746]If you have that type of plug I'd at least try it. If I thought my work looked better I'd make one and send it to you to try.

I appreciate the thought and can say that I would have no problem with the way your work looked.
    Thanks.

My Cars
    [quote=gcbimmer;18156173]
    If you have that type of plug I'd at least try it. If I thought my work looked better I'd make one and send it to you to try.

I appreciate the thought and can say that I would have no problem with the way your work looked.
    Thanks.
    If I get some spare time I'll throw one together.

My Cars
    2001 540i/6
    I'm going to give this a shot over the weekend. I just took apart the IDE cable and it seems like it is going to be real hard to solder and to keep the wires from contacting one another. Does anyone have any helpful tips? Should I take out the pins and solder, then plug them back in. I've only soldered once in my life. That was for my comfort relay on my e36, but this seems to be on a much smaller scale. After soldering, should that be successful, do I need to coat the connections with anything (like epoxy mentioned previously or something else)to keep them apart and how do I do that?
    Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2000 528i
    I'm going to give this a shot over the weekend. I just took apart the IDE cable and it seems like it is going to be real hard to solder and to keep the wires from contacting one another. Does anyone have any helpful tips? Should I take out the pins and solder, then plug them back in. I've only soldered once in my life. That was for my comfort relay on my e36, but this seems to be on a much smaller scale. After soldering, should that be successful, do I need to coat the connections with anything (like epoxy mentioned previously or something else)to keep them apart and how do I do that?
    Thanks.
    I took a 2x4 and looked for a little crack to put the pin in and hold it in place so that only the part that I needed to solder was exposed. I've done all the work but I just can't figure out which pins are for left, right, and ground on my unit

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by kchang39 View Post
    I took a 2x4 and looked for a little crack to put the pin in and hold it in place so that only the part that I needed to solder was exposed. I've done all the work but I just can't figure out which pins are for left, right, and ground on my unit
    That could work. You could try testing them with the head unit out and swap them as necessary.
    Thanks.
    For the soldering part, I pulled the pin and used a tiny clamp that came with my soldering iron to keep the wire at the very tip, set it on a piece of wood (normal workbench) and soldered it carefully to the tip. No real tips other than small jobs are not all that different than large jobs
    I used hot glue to keep them separate, you could use any number of epoxies or sealants to keep them in place over time. If I wasn't working such long hours at work I'd throw some of these together for the board. It REALLY is simple, though.
    Last edited by whitecouch; 12-18-2009 at 11:01 PM.

My Cars
    2000 528i
    It REALLY is simple, though.
    How did you find out which wires go to which pins? I've used several diagrams and tried a bunch of combinations for left, right, and ground and haven't been able to get it working.

My Cars
    How did you find out which wires go to which pins? I've used several diagrams and tried a bunch of combinations for left, right, and ground and haven't been able to get it working.
    I did EXACTLY as the DIY said.

My Cars
    2000 528i
    My setup is a bit different :/ it's the same one in post 22

My Cars
    My setup is a bit different :/ it's the same one in post 22
    I would ask xisco44, his works.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast