Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kmoy's DIY $5 Aux Cable (Lots of Pics)

My Cars
    1973 BMW 2002tii, 2003 BMW 540i, 2004 BMW 330i

Kmoy's DIY $5 Aux Cable (Lots of Pics)

2003 E39 540i/6 M-Tech $5 Auxiliary Input DIY

This was done on Buisiness CD CD53, software number SW/NO. 41, hardware number HW/NO. 40

If you have Navigation, check the wiring diagram out and use those pins:
    http://www.ge39.com/files/EBADoc11512-auxin.pdf
    Pins 1, 2 and 3

This was tested on my 2004 e46 330i/6 ZHP and works flawlessly as well. Buisiness CD CD53, software number SW/NO. 41, hardware number HW/NO. 40
    330i Tutorial
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4#post16394374

DISCLAIMER
    This was tested on my car spec'ed above. I am unsure if this tutorial is compatible with other headunits, hardware numbers, software numbers. I take no responsibility for any damage done to your car from you following the following tutorial.

Parts
    • 1/8" Stereo Panel-Mount Audio Jack (2-Pack) $2.99 Make sure to get the stero audio jack and not the mono audio jack. You will receive monaural sound if you do...ask me how I know http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...52&tab=summary

• IDE or Floppy Cable - to connect to the pins on the back of the headunit (I had a spare junk one at home...don't go out and buy one. Instead tear apart a junk computer and pull one of those cables)

• 3 different colored wires - length varies depending on where you wish to mount the jack
    • Soldering iron
    • Solder
    • Flux
    • Hex wrenches - to disassemble the radio
    • Phillips Screwdriver - to pull cupholder
    • Drill - to drill through the cupholder
    • Needle nose pliers
    • Drill bit - for the 1/8in;3.5mm jack
    • Knife/razor/boxcutter - use your preferred cutting utensil to cut to size the IDE connector

Okay, so this may not be a $5 aux cable for you. Luckily I had most of these parts at home minus some supplies.

Begin by disassembling the radio. Pull the on/off knob and remove it. There will be a small hex bolt in there. Turn it counterclockwise and pull. The left side of the radio should slide out. Pull the radio out and you can disconnect it if you'd like more working space. I have relatively small hands and didn't require a lot of space.

Now that the radio is out, you can now access the CD unit. There are two small hex bolts on the bottom of the unit. These should be visible as you just removed the head unit. Unscrew these and the CD unit should slide out

Unplug the connectors from the CD unit. The pins should look something like this.

You want to focus in on the lower right set of pins. Specifically pins 3, 4 and 10. Pin 4 is left audio, pin 4 is right audio and pin 10 is ground

Now that you know where the pins are located, disassemble the ide cable making sure not to destroy the connector. Every cable is different, mine was held together using clips. I simply destroyed the clips and salvaged the female pin receptors. With the good parts, cut and size them up using your favorite cutting utensil.

Pull the unnecessary pins out using a pair of needle nose pliers.

Gather your sized wires, connector, and audio jack. The wiring diagram for the audio jack is displayed on the back of the packaging. The ground is the pin on the side with a black wire wired to it. To figure out which is left and right, I plugged the naked jack into my computer sound system and touched each prong. Your body carries natural electrical signals to it. Put your ears next to the left or right speaker, whichever is convenient. Touch each prong, a sound should emit from only one side either left or right depending on which prong you're touching. Label them; I used a whiteout pen and labeled the left with an L.

Using the soldering iron, solder and flux, Solder the other ends of wire to the ide connector. The job's tedious but if you have steady hands and are patient, it'll turn out nicely.

This is a picture of my e46 that I performed this same procedure on.

Plug the pin into the back of the radio making sure they're sitting in the right spot. Plug everything else back in and do a test.

Looks like a great success

So the next step is to mount it wherever brings you the most zen. I chose to mount it on the cupholder. To do this, simply open the two holders a little and you should see two screws holding the unit in. Unscrew those and pull the unit out.

Drill a correctly sized hole and insert the jack in and screw it in.

Reassemble everything else and you're set.

I hope you found this tutorial useful. If you have any questions, please ask away.

Happy motoring,
    Kmoy2002
    Last edited by kmoy2002; 05-21-2009 at 11:22 AM.

My Cars
    02 e39 5spd
    If you make me one so i can just buy it and just plug it in my car?

My Cars
    2002 530 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsBFc View Post

+ 1.

Edit: You sure the cd player just slides out? After removing the two side screws, mine still wont budge.
    Last edited by Lindrins528; 05-20-2009 at 08:57 PM.
    400 Hp not enough? Just press the button!!

My Cars
    I ran into the same problem as you...just keep unscrewing each side until the unit slides out. Based on my quick glimpse of the release mechanism, its held in by friction.

I'll think about making them...after three successful and complete installation, the building of the connectors proved to be the most difficult part. Wouldn't you feel better if you DIY Anywho, my job is pretty boring so I might just make these at work

My Cars
    530i 11/00
    if you have the tape deck from older models 97 and so on
    you can use the same method the only thing you will need to do is unplug the cd changer from the back of the head unit.

find the pinout for ground left and right of your old ugly cassette headunit .
    i did this with some trial and error. but you can find the diagrams online

######and the million dollar question is how do i get sound from it if i dont have aux in option on my dated radio #######

you just need to press cd so it will activate the cd changer and put a cd in
    so when it starts playing instead of receiving the audio signal from the cd changer. you are going to received the audio signal from the 5 dollar aux cable.

enjoy.....

btw you should put this post in the diy because im tired of people asking if this can be done for cheap. yes it can be done.

no need to buy expensive cable on dealer or on ebay like this

96 318is Sport --sold
    96 528ia Premium Comfort seats --sold
    98 528ia euro sport pack BR41880-- sold
    01 530ia Premium CE52247
    02 540ia Individual GG91507

My Cars
    05 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsBFc View Post
    +3

My Cars
    2002 530 Sport
    If you decide to start making these let me know.

I'll put myself on the list

1. Lindrins528
    400 Hp not enough? Just press the button!!

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    Great work.
    This will help many people.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -
    Got any questions about my car? Feel free to PM me!

My Cars
    02 e39 5spd
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindrins528 View Post
    If you decide to start making these let me know.

I'll put myself on the list

1. WhatsBFc
    2. Lindrins528

fixed

My Cars
    03 540 6 speed
    innnnteresting.. any ideas if you got nav?
    03 540 6-speed

Dinan exhaust, sway bars, short shifter..

My Cars
    2014 435i, 2004 M3 vert
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon540m View Post
    for nav you have to tap into the tape deck.. theres a DIY i found somewhere on here or bimmerdiy.com
    hi i'm nickmanderfield.com and i hang out on the internets,
    i also recently started to sell carbon fiber coasters.

My Cars
    m52 powered
    great stuff! kudos to you for diving in and DIY'ing.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon540m View Post
    Check the wiring diagram out for vehicles with Nav. You just use different pins apparently specifically 1, 2 and 3 versus the 3, 4 and 10 for non-nav units

Looks like it would work, but I don't have Nav so I can't verify

http://www.ge39.com/files/EBADoc11512-auxin.pdf

My Cars
    04 E55 AMG
    Can I do this on my 99?

It has the CD changer and the upgraded DSP audio system.
    2006 F650GS Remus Exhaust

My Cars
    02 525iT
    ill jump on the list too if you decide to start makin these. They look primo. Great job!

My Cars
    E39 WIN!
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread...

I have a pre-09/2002 E39, so I'm not attempting this mod, but rather just putting one of those Grom connectors in via the trunk CD changer cables. Not the ipod interface, but rather just the general auxillary interface that outputs RCA's...

However, I am trying to put a 1/8" stereo jack into the cupholder, and not having much success getting it out. I removed the screws, and it is certainly loose, but it won't just "slide out;" it comes out about 1/2", and then just stops. It feels like it's caught on something, and I didn't want to risk breaking it by forcing it. When I look in the crack above it with it loose and partially out, it looks as if the piece has a plastic fin or something right in the middle, that is catching on whatever is above it.

By the way, I'm attempting to remove the piece withOUT removing any of the components above it. Is it perhaps necessary to remove all of those pieces first??

Anyone have any info on this, or had this experience?? Thanks very kindly...

Cheers,
    ~m.

EDIT: Found this pic on a DIY site... p-chop compliments of yours truly...

Last edited by milkyslims; 10-03-2009 at 07:58 PM.
    2001 525i (Jet Black) | De-badged | White AngeliBright v3.0 (remote turn-on wired--INFO) | GromAudio Aux Input | DDM Blackout Grilles(PICS)
    Hoen Xenon-Match Fog Bulbs | White LED interior/trunk/plate lights | Chrome Gauge Rings | Chrome E-brake Handle | DDM Aluminum Pedals(REVIEW)
    M5 trunk spoiler | Smoked Side Markers | Black/White Emblems | 10" RF P3 Sub w/Custom Fiberglass Enclosure(WRITE-UP)

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Slide a credit card or a wide putty knife under it. I know I had the same grief. Should slide right out without any problem.
    Looking for a DIY? Parts? Check this out, it might be your ticket

Stable: e92is, e53 N62, e46M54B25, Tribby & e39 M54B30 R.I.P.

My Cars
    E39 WIN!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doru View Post
    Slide a credit card or a wide putty knife under it. I know I had the same grief. Should slide right out without any problem.
    Thanks Doru! Putty knife worked like a charm...
    2001 525i (Jet Black) | De-badged | White AngeliBright v3.0 (remote turn-on wired--INFO) | GromAudio Aux Input | DDM Blackout Grilles(PICS)
    Hoen Xenon-Match Fog Bulbs | White LED interior/trunk/plate lights | Chrome Gauge Rings | Chrome E-brake Handle | DDM Aluminum Pedals(REVIEW)
    M5 trunk spoiler | Smoked Side Markers | Black/White Emblems | 10" RF P3 Sub w/Custom Fiberglass Enclosure(WRITE-UP)

My Cars
    530i 11/00
    i have this setup on my car
    i recomend it big time
    96 318is Sport --sold
    01 530ia Premium CE52247

My Cars
    03' M5
    Quote Originally Posted by xisco44 View Post
    i have this setup on my car
    i recomend it big time
    Any pics??

My Cars
    04 E55 AMG
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon540i View Post
    Can I do this on my Dad's 99?

It has the CD changer and the upgraded DSP audio system.
    Is my question so stupid that everyone is just ignoring it?
    Last edited by Jon540i; 09-27-2009 at 02:37 PM.
    2006 F650GS Remus Exhaust

My Cars
    530i 11/00
    if you car have a cd changer you can do it

here is a pic of my business radio with casette and no aux in option. only cd changer option

96 318is Sport --sold
    01 530ia Premium CE52247

My Cars
    CM E36 M3 / '15 F80
    Quote Originally Posted by xisco44 View Post
    if you car have a cd changer you can do it

here is a pic of my business radio with casette and no aux in option. only cd changer option

I also have a round pin Blau unit but with CD changer. What kind of connectors can you get for these kind of round pins? Anyone know?

My Cars
    CM E36 M3 / '15 F80
    bump?

My Cars
    e39
    "You want to focus in on the lower right set of pins. Specifically pins 3, 4 and 10. Pin 4 is left audio, pin 4 is right audio and pin 10 is ground"
    Do you mean pin 3 is left audio, pin 4 is right audio, and pin 10 is ground?

thanks and great DIY! my is only CD and i want to plug an ipod so i can listen to more songs w/o change the CD disc.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by Alex525i; 10-16-2009 at 09:00 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast