Thread: Purchased 92 325i that sat for 2 years....got some Q's

My Cars
    '03 325iT, 92 325i

Purchased 92 325i that sat for 2 years....got some Q's

So I had my eye on this one car as a project and last week i picked it up.
    It has been sitting for about 2 years and has 79K miles. Its stick shift with White on tan (not my favourite at all).

Anyway after starting it up and driving it to my shop i noticed it sputtered alot. The check engine light came on and the code was the o2 sensor (1221). It had approx. 4 gallons of old gas which i put stabilizer in, seafoam and about 8 gallons of new 92 gas when i got there. It ran better after but still sputtered and lightly bogged at low revs. Up high it will pull hard 1/2 the time and the other half it feels like the motor's struggling and has that power loss feel with the spitting from the tail pipe. It misfires on occasion.
    The oil looked ok I just added some as i'm changing VC gasket with oil tomorrow. Coolant had some rust buildup, taking care of that flush this weekend.
    I also pulled the plugs after seafoaming (i know i know). 1-4 were normal looking but could use replacment (dirt colored). 5&6 were normal looking as far as wear but were much darker (like coffee grinds) than the others. The boots and coil packs were in gr8 looking condition and not brittle at all.
    The car runs better when the check engine light is not on but still sputters a little.

So my questions are these,
    Would the o2 sensor be causing the spitting and sputtering low down the rev range and the occasional power loss?

Would a non fouler work and not throw codes if the o2 sensor is toasted?

If you guys have other suggestions of what it could be i'd like to know. My goal is to stop the sputtering and stuff on a budget. I can't throw alot of money at this car now.

Thanks
    Last edited by meen325; 05-20-2009 at 04:10 PM.

My Cars
    2001 525i, ex 97 318is
    clean the ICV and check the intake gaskets, also you should change the fuel filter(that could be the culprit)
    2001 525i, Titanium Silver, 48K miles

My Cars
    92 325i RIP 00 TL
    yea man just clean everything if its been sitting for 2 years

Fuel Filter, Oil change, maybe even an tranny fluid and filter change, clean the ICV, Throttle body, check the plugs.

Also make sure everything is connected right, maybe even do a coolant flush if you have the time.
    http://thetweakingzone.com/files/pics/BMW/headjob/ <-- Head Job Pics!!! Start Date 8-19-08
    http://www.thetweakingzone.com/files/pics/BMW/<-- All Pics
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1205371<-- Shes gotta go... :'( Being parted out. Lots of good parts! Head only 15k miles!

My Cars
    1993 325i
    +1 on the fuel filter ... or is that +2?
    It's not about getting from point A to B, it's about every curve in between.