Thread: Cigarette Lighter

My Cars
    09 335 coupe MT

Cigarette Lighter

I found out that the cigarette lighter does not have power unless the engine is started. Unlike in older cars you can send power by just turning the ignition key to 1 switch ( before starting the car)

Is that possible in the BMW. I have an air compressor which i run through the lighter and do not want to keep the car running while i fill up air in the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
    I found out that the cigarette lighter does not have power unless the engine is started. Unlike in older cars you can send power by just turning the ignition key to 1 switch ( before starting the car)

Is that possible in the BMW. I have an air compressor which i run through the lighter and do not want to keep the car running while i fill up air in the wheels.

Ok so i have a 09 coupe and there is no cigarette lighter on the front console, is the one on the center arm rest next to the aux connectors is the cig lighter socket?
    Last edited by boss2k; 05-19-2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    13 Audi S4 / 6spd / Glacier White/Black/ supercharged

10 Acura TL/AT/ Palladium metallic/spoiler

sold --09 335 coupe/6 spd/monaco blue /sports/navi/bmw assist/ipod connector/ BMW SSK/ UUC Corsa exhaust/ BMW Performance powerkit V1

My Cars
    1995 3181, 2006 325i
    I agree, this does suck. I use the center consol cigarette lighter to power my Sirius Stiletto Radio (non bmw sirius radio). When I arrive to work early i like to listen to Howard Stern for a few minutes but have to leave the engine on to get power to the sirius unit in order to listen. Not sure or havent figured out if there is a way around this.

My Cars
    09 335 coupe MT
    Quote Originally Posted by dhayes09 View Post
    I agree, this does suck. I use the center consol cigarette lighter to power my Sirius Stiletto Radio (non bmw sirius radio). When I arrive to work early i like to listen to Howard Stern for a few minutes but have to leave the engine on to get power to the sirius unit in order to listen. Not sure or havent figured out if there is a way around this.

But the manual says that it will get power even if the engine is not on but the remote tucked in

So we have only i outlet for cigarette lighter which is in the center console.

sold --09 335 coupe/6 spd/monaco blue /sports/navi/bmw assist/ipod connector/ BMW SSK/ UUC Corsa exhaust/ BMW Performance powerkit V1

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    You can do that too on the e9x. I always use a hand vacuum to clean the car and I just attach it to the cig lighter socket and switch the ignition to the right position (press it twice without depressing the clutch/brakes).
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    1995 3181, 2006 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by mryakan View Post
    You can do that too on the e9x. I always use a hand vacuum to clean the car and I just attach it to the cig lighter socket and switch the ignition to the right position (press it twice without depressing the clutch/brakes).
    Thank you, that did it. Press the start/stop button twice without pressing on the break pedal.

My Cars
    09 335 coupe MT
    Quote Originally Posted by dhayes09 View Post
    Thank you, that did it. Press the start/stop button twice without pressing on the break pedal.

Meaning press the start/stop button twice and if clutch is not depressed the car will not start. Is this how to do it

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Meaning press the start/stop button twice and if clutch is not depressed the car will not start. Is this how to do it
    On a manual yes, on AT don't depress the brake pedal. It is referred to as accessory mode in BMW literature if I am not mistaken.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    09 335 coupe MT
    Another question my car does not have the cigarette lighter in the front panel , just have it only in the center console, is it because i have Navi. I have been seeing pics of 335 coupe and all of them have it on the front panel with or without navi .. is there a design change for the 09 coupes.

If i want to attach a radar detector and power it up , how do i do it as the power outlet is only in the center console

My Cars
    Snow White / White Horse Prince
    Another question my car does not have the cigarette lighter in the front panel , just have it only in the center console, is it because i have Navi. I have been seeing pics of 335 coupe and all of them have it on the front panel with or without navi .. is there a design change for the 09 coupes.

If i want to attach a radar detector and power it up , how do i do it as the power outlet is only in the center console
    Look in the panel under the glove box to see if you have a 12V socket there.

BMW have been doing some cost cutting measures and the 12V cig. lighter is one of it.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335xi

That has to be a new design and/or cost cutting. I have the Navi and I also have a lighter just beneath the radio that I use for my V1.
    2008 E90 335xi Black on Black all options checked. 4/31 Build Date 24,xxx miles

My Cars
    11 335xi, 09 335xi
    I don"t have Nav and I don't have the ash tray with lighter. It's just an empty bin. The power port in the center console is useless to me because I can't close the top with anything plugged into it. Therefore, you now have lost your armrest. I eventually found the one under the dash near the glove compartment. At least that works for me. Good thing I'm not a smoker. I would have been disappointed that my ash tray and cig lighter weren't there when it's specifically shown in the users manual. Even in the manual on the BMW web site, which should be the most current. Still some mistakes in that user guide.
    Last edited by monacoblue335xi; 08-07-2009 at 03:39 PM.

My Cars
    09 328i xDrive
    For the 09's they seemed to have removed the cigarette lighter/ashtray part way through the year. Some 09's have it (like mine), while others do not.
    2009 BMW 328i xDrive sedan
    Space Grey on Chestnut Leather

My Cars
    11 335xi, 09 335xi
    Too bad because I'd rather have it than have an empty bin. At least with the ash tray and the cover closed you have a more "finished" look to that area. It might even be wood trim covered making a really nice finished look. And the 12V is more easily accessible. Looks like I waited too long in 2009 to get my car.

My Cars
    09 335 coupe MT
    On a manual yes, on AT don't depress the brake pedal. It is referred to as accessory mode in BMW literature if I am not mistaken.
    Mryakan

I tried by pressing start button twice without depressing the clutch and did not get power in the cigarette outlet , however got power for the radio , what am i missing ?

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Mryakan

I tried by pressing start button twice without depressing the clutch and did not get power in the cigarette outlet , however got power for the radio , what am i missing ?
    Check your fuses maybe! I can verify this later today to see if the cig lighter adapter is activated this way.
    (more pictures here)

My Cars
    09 335 coupe MT
    Check your fuses maybe! I can verify this later today to see if the cig lighter adapter is activated this way.
    Fuses are fine because these points work when the car is started.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Ok, I tried it out and it works as I said, but I think I know what you may be doing. You are probably doing this after you shut the car off. This means the 1st press button afte the one that shuts the engine off actually shuts off the radio and accessories. So then you have to press twice for a total of 3 presses after the one shutting off the car.
    In short, try one more press.

To illustrate, here is a video. I had just shut the engine off. The 1st button press after that as you see shuts off the radio. The 2nd turns the radio back on. The 3rd turn all accessories on including the A/C and if you can see in the end, the GPS adapter plugged into the lighter sockets lights green:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Dm6C8ZH3M[/ame]
    (more pictures here)

My Cars
    09 335 coupe MT
    Ok, I tried it out and it works as I said, but I think I know what you may be doing. You are probably doing this after you shut the car off. This means the 1st press button afte the one that shuts the engine off actually shuts off the radio and accessories. So then you have to press twice for a total of 3 presses after the one shutting off the car.
    In short, try one more press.

To illustrate, here is a video. I had just shut the engine off. The 1st button press after that as you see shuts off the radio. The 2nd turns the radio back on. The 3rd turn all accessories on including the A/C and if you can see in the end, the GPS adapter plugged into the lighter sockets lights green:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Dm6C8ZH3M

Thank you for the detailed explanation, i will try and let you know. Actually when i tried over the weekend i did not start the car and the engine was off , all i did was insert the key fob and press the start/stop button twice , i think i have to do it 3 times as you mention