Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement (M62TU)

My Cars
    03 540iT M Sport
    So the new Febi part is a little different than a new OEM one?
    2003 540iT M Sport, Black Sapphire on Black, CWP, DSP, rear shades, Climate Comfort windshield SOLD
    1988 325i 4dr/5sp, Lachssilber Metallic on black leather, stock
    2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel, 160k and I replaced the alternator. Once.
    2005 Toyota Land Cruiser, Galactic Gray Mica

My Cars
    2013 535i M Sport
    With the M62 motors being 8 cylinders, is there 2 tensioners needed or only 1?

My Cars
    2013 535i M Sport
    IMAG0517.jpg

Replaced mine yesterday. The old tensioner on the left was stuck in and there was no play with the spring. I soaked the new one in one before I installed it. Less rattle on the first startup after the install and on the startup this morning the rattle was completely gone.

My Cars
    '03 540iT M Sport
    Ordered a tensioner today. I've read a few threads that said the new tensioner is compressed for ease of installation. Can anyone who has recently done this confirm that this is true?

My Cars
    '12 Maxima '02 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
    Ordered a tensioner today. I've read a few threads that said the new tensioner is compressed for ease of installation. Can anyone who has recently done this confirm that this is true?
    +1

Update: just did it and no issues whatsoever. I didnt need the wobble piece. I just used a deep 19mm socket tool, 8" extension and 3/8" ratchet. Oh and a rag for the oil that leaks out
    Last edited by bighman209; 08-16-2013 at 04:18 PM.

My Cars
    1997 540i 6 speed
    I have a question and its probably off topic and in the wrong place but i need help. And I cant find what I need in a search.. my car is a 97 540i v8 146k miles. has been great no ticks knocks or rattles of any sort. well this morning it sounds like the timing set just fell apart randomly and its now constant still running perfect though. No im not driving it and only let it run long enough to hear the problem. My question is is this going to be a definite guide failure or could this be a tensioner??
    Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    Quote Originally Posted by m62love View Post
    I have a question and its probably off topic and in the wrong place but i need help. And I cant find what I need in a search.. my car is a 97 540i v8 146k miles. has been great no ticks knocks or rattles of any sort. well this morning it sounds like the timing set just fell apart randomly and its now constant still running perfect though. No im not driving it and only let it run long enough to hear the problem. My question is is this going to be a definite guide failure or could this be a tensioner??
    Thanks in advance!
    The only true way to tell is to drop the oil pan and look for plastic chunks.
    "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti"

My Cars
    1997 540i 6 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
    The only true way to tell is to drop the oil pan and look for plastic chunks.
    Thanks for the reply I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an easier quicker way.

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    Thanks for the reply I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an easier quicker way.
    Do you have a bore scope? You can snake that in through the oil fill cap. It's usually the middle "U" shaped guide but sometimes the passenger's side can break.
    "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti"

My Cars
    1997 540i 6 speed
    Do you have a bore scope? You can snake that in through the oil fill cap. It's usually the middle "U" shaped guide but sometimes the passenger's side can break.
    I can get my hands on a scope, However if it came down to it.. Would it be worth my time to take the valve covers off and get a closer look from the top? Or is the best bet from the pan/underside. Thanks!

My Cars
    E34 M5
    I can get my hands on a scope, However if it came down to it.. Would it be worth my time to take the valve covers off and get a closer look from the top? Or is the best bet from the pan/underside. Thanks!
    The pan lets you see the bottom of the U and will obviously contain any pieces or residue from wear. I recommend it. I did it to my old 540i. It's very simple and just costs you a gasket and an oil change.
    1991 M5 (in progress)

Restoring an old BMW, God help me.

My Cars
    1997 540i 6 speed
    Thank you all for helping so much. One more question and i will leave you all alone where can I find the best deal on the guides that i will be needing?

- - - Updated - - -

I am on your website and you have fantastic pricing very surprising. what all would you recommend replacing?

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    Thank you all for helping so much. One more question and i will leave you all alone where can I find the best deal on the guides that i will be needing?

- - - Updated - - -

I am on your website and you have fantastic pricing very surprising. what all would you recommend replacing?
    http://www.eaceuroparts.com/content/...ls-parts-list/

My Cars
    2002 5401 M Sport
    I want to take a minute and say "thanks for this thread". I have an 02' 540i with 104,000 miles and the ticking noise at start up had become progressively louder. I ordered a tensioner and installed it in about 15 minutes. They do come preloaded, I fiddled with mine and it became "un-loaded"...lol. It would have been much easier had I not coon fingered with it. Once installed, I started it up and it worked perfectly.

My Cars
    97 e39 540i6
    I fixed my tensioner problem and it works great. no more ticking noise and running smooth. it just cost me $3 for a new spring instead of $80.

here is the thread of how i did it my self:

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10
    Quote Originally Posted by sickdeathshappe View Post
    thanks everybody, i got a diagram from the website: www.bmwpartscounter.com #9 is the tensioner. however, i was wondering if anybody replaced the whole assembly. i got the cold rattle noise, sounds like a pulley tensioner but im pretty sure its the timing chain tensioner because the noise goes away after a minute, being the oilpressure builds up. what do you think?

I found a spring that supposed to be the spring for the timing chain tensioner, is this right, http://www.eactuning.com/ssf/part_nu...01%20706%20809 they want 4 bucks.. Is it supposed to replace the tensioner's spring?
    New link for this, I can't find just the spring replacement vs the entire thing for $60 on eBay.
    Last edited by m5james; 02-14-2014 at 05:48 AM.
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    PERFORMANCE:JB4 w/ meth, stage 2 tune, wrapped downpipes, custom intake
    INTERIOR:AVIN 10.25" screen, Blackvue 550 dashcam, 7" tablet for JB4 logging
    EXTERIOR:Niche staggered 20's or AC Forged staggered 22's, H&R 2" suspension, LED AE, CF front splitter
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    PERFORMANCE:///M5 6spd swap, iron sleeves, L/W Teflon coated & silicone impregnated pistons, Sealed Power rings, 3 angle valvejob, P&P head, perf cams, electric fan, CF intake tube w/aluminium heatshield/wrapped MAF tubing, Magnaflow 14816'd, Eaton M112 in-work
    INTERIOR:Android Dynavin, hardwired V1 above rearview, 12" RE Audio DVC sub, MTX 81000D monoblock, CF silver trim, 5% tint
    EXTERIOR:///MPar staggered 19's, H&R Stage 2/Bilstein HD, custom notched bumper, Shadowline trim, 750iL brakes w/ Axxis pads
    190hp 97 328ci
    PERFORMANCE:Single mass flywheel, ///M3 clutch
    EXTERIOR:Z4///M staggered 18's, rolled fenders, tinted markers

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    Quote Originally Posted by sickdeathshappe View Post
    I found a spring that supposed to be the spring for the timing chain tensioner, is this right, http://www.eactuning.com/ssf/part_nu...01%20706%20809 they want 4 bucks.. Is it supposed to replace the tensioner's spring?
    New link.
    http://www.eaceuroparts.com/parts/pa...01%20706%20809

This is NOT the spring for the tensioner and only listed as an updated link to a previous post. It is for a control valve near the oil pump in some I6 engines.
    Last edited by jnyost; 04-28-2014 at 08:59 AM.

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10
    The spring in the picture isn't the same as the ones shown throughout the thread. Am I missing something?

I like the idea of doing this to keep tension on the chain as my 98 740iL motor ate itself alive once the timing chain guide came loose (poor rework by a company that head replaced the headgasket prior to my purchasing the car), but at the same time I worry if this renewed pressure is a good thing since there are stories of tensioners breaking into pieces. It's stopping people from having rattle, but at the expense or increasing pressure on an already worn out chain guide.
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    EXTERIOR:Niche staggered 20's or AC Forged staggered 22's, H&R 2" suspension, LED AE, CF front splitter
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    PERFORMANCE:///M5 6spd swap, iron sleeves, L/W Teflon coated & silicone impregnated pistons, Sealed Power rings, 3 angle valvejob, P&P head, perf cams, electric fan, CF intake tube w/aluminium heatshield/wrapped MAF tubing, Magnaflow 14816'd, Eaton M112 in-work
    INTERIOR:Android Dynavin, hardwired V1 above rearview, 12" RE Audio DVC sub, MTX 81000D monoblock, CF silver trim, 5% tint
    EXTERIOR:///MPar staggered 19's, H&R Stage 2/Bilstein HD, custom notched bumper, Shadowline trim, 750iL brakes w/ Axxis pads
    190hp 97 328ci

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    High spring tensions aren't the death of the rails. It's the smacking of the rails when the engine starts and dies that causes failure. I'd rather have a tight chain than a loose ones, especially with aged rails.

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10
    Bought and received the spring, have yet to do the work. As I stated though, the spring in the pics and what I received are two different looking items. Doing a Google search using the part number provided, it lists I6 engines, not the M62TU. Once again, am I missing something?
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    190hp 97 328ci

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10
    Bump for jnyost.
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    190hp 97 328ci

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10
    Ordered this based off your link, for the third reply now...it's different! Please give me the correct part number. VIN ending in LH13219.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by swooshdave View Post
    Hoping yuou're still on the boards, but where did you orders yours from? I've been given the wrong part number as you can see by my picture above.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BEAST 5 View Post
    Which way.does the.spring go the.larger.size facing.the.outside.of the motor or the smalle
    Based on the spring in the picture, it can only go one way as the smaller end sits on a little nipple while the larger end just sits inside the assembly itself. Reverse it compared to the image below, that was taken just for the sake of comparison that EAS gave me the wrong part #.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by m5james; 04-28-2014 at 03:58 AM.
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    190hp 97 328ci

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    Quote Originally Posted by m5james View Post
    Bought and received the spring, have yet to do the work. As I stated though, the spring in the pics and what I received are two different looking items. Doing a Google search using the part number provided, it lists I6 engines, not the M62TU. Once again, am I missing something?
    James,

I'll look up the spring and see what it fits.

It should be noted that someone asked for a new link to a part number mentioned earlier. I have no idea what they were using the part number for, nor am I suggesting it fits anything in particular. That's why I quoted that member's post.

I'll edit the post to reference that the link is just for the previous request.

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10
    It was I that asked for a new link to the replacement spring via your website. I bought what was in the link, and while the picture in the link is correct and what I received, I had no idea the size differences of the spring in pics vs having it in hand. I included in my post the size difference, which is nearly 2x larger than the current spring in my tensioner. Per the part number in the link you provided, every search I come up w/ says that spring is for an I6 engine, so even if there was some random miscommunication, an I6 spring shouldn't have been linked in an M62-specific thread in the first place.

In the meantime, I've stretched my stock spring back out, fought it like hell to get it to go back in, but ultimately I'd like to get the correct spring replacement.
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    190hp 97 328ci

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10
    Bump for an update so I can get this done before driving from Seattle to Hollywood and back for Bimmerfest.
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    190hp 97 328ci

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast