Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: One of my favorite mods...

My Cars
    z3
    Unfortunately there is a vendor selling a competing product and as such we can't make an exceptions. We are fairly loose with the vendor rules in this section mostly because there aren't competing products for a lot of products we like to create within our community, but this is not one of those situations.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1996 328i vert
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Unfortunately there is a vendor selling a competing product and as such we can't make an exceptions. We are fairly loose with the vendor rules in this section mostly because there aren't competing products for a lot of products we like to create within our community, but this is not one of those situations.
    Please plug that company into this thread then, where have they been since this thread was posted?
    Can't be Bav Auto, I already called and confirmed the rag joint they sell is only for right hand drive
    Last edited by Pyropete82; 02-10-2016 at 11:39 PM.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Alright what's the company?

My Cars
    99 Z3MC/00' 2.8 roady
    Has anyone found any cons with doing this mod. Would I be putting any harm on the power steering rack by doing this mod? My U joints are good, but my rubber flex disc is splitting at the rivets and a little dry rotting. Does anyone make a replacement rubber flex disc or should I just go with a puck. Street driving only
    Last edited by redlinealley; 06-15-2018 at 08:12 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by redlinealley View Post
    Has anyone found any cons with doing this mod. Would I be putting any harm on the power steering rack by doing this mod? My U joints are good, but my rubber flex disc is splitting at the rivets and a little dry rotting. Does anyone make a replacement rubber flex disc or should I just go with a puck. Street driving only
    I wouldn't use a hockey puck. The OEM part has steel cable molded into the rubber and around the rivet holes to provide some degree of control if the rubber fails completely.

Another member of the forum reported that the E30 bushing fits: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...e-to-buy/page2

The only official replacement from BMW is the entire lower steering shaft.
    Last edited by pine1000; 06-16-2018 at 03:49 PM.

My Cars
    99 Z3MC/00' 2.8 roady
    Yes the E30 fits.. I wound up going with a Urethane flex disc from Ireland Engineering. The dimensions are spot on and should work well. Screenshot_20180616-163334_Dolphin.jpg
    Last edited by redlinealley; 06-16-2018 at 06:54 PM.

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by The ZED View Post
    Just did this with a hockey puck. Now my steering is tighter then my girlfriends....
    I might be a little cautious about using a hockey puck instead of a urethane bushing. Hockey pucks are made from hard rubber and this material doesn't hold up well to repeated stress and will crack and crumble as it ages. I use them in between my jack stands and car all the time and they fall apart after several months of use. Even urethane won't hold up as well as the original and will need to be inspected regularly. The original is made out of mutli-layer fiber re-enforced material like the cord of a tire to resist forces acting on it in multiple directions.

My Cars
    99 Z3MC/00' 2.8 roady
    The one I just took out of my car is rubber. Not corded in anyway, I know this bc it is splitting apart around the rivets.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    There's an image on one of the forums where someone cut one in half (or attempted to). They encountered steel wires molded into the rubber.

My Cars
    99 Z3MC/00' 2.8 roady
    I just installed the Ireland Engineering Bushing. Had to modify the Ujoint a little so 2 of the bolts wouldn't hit. The steering is tight and best of all there is No feedback through the steering shaft. I took it up to 110mph and it was smooth. I'm happy with it!
    20180623_154437.jpg

My Cars
    E36/8 M Coupe, 911/997.2
    The solid one here: https://www.akgmotorsport.com/product/steering-flex-shaft-coupling-for-bmw-z3-aluminum/

Says:

"For use in dedicated race cars only. Not for street use."

Because of NVH? How is the NVH feedback through the steering wheel with the aluminum ones? Mine is original, so I'm sure it needs to be replaced at some point.
    Ben

'00 M Coupe (my daily for almost 10 glorious years now)
    '09 911 (wife's daily/my bucket list)
    '08 Z4 Coupe (wife's, sold, sometimes regrettably)
    '91 E34 M5 (gone, but not forgotten)
    '88 E30 (kid's)

My Cars
    99 Z3MC/00' 2.8 roady
    Yep... I didn't go with AKG for that reason. The one I went with is Urethane and still has some give to it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234