Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E38 Airbag Warning Light On

My Cars
    2011 328i Convertible

E38 Airbag Warning Light On

I've searched the forum, and wonder if I might be able to gain any new ideas on how to repair/reset the airbag warning light.

At the Nor Cal 7 meet last Saturday, we read the codes with three different software programs, and none could communicate with my airbag module or reset the error code.

After consulting with myairbagsystems. com, I also checked the fuse/sensor on the battery positive cable by disassembling the connector and checking for continuity on both sides. Seems fine, and shows no signs of being blown.

Some have suggested that it may be the airbag module itself, located under the center console. Wonder if there's a way to have it checked before simply replacing it?

Given the safety issue with this, (I cart around kids) I'm pretty close to dropping the car at my local indy mechanic (ex BMW dealer mechanic) to diagnose and repair, but with the plug and play nature of most of these connections/components, thought I'd give it one last shot here, hoping for any new ideas.

Thoughts?

Kurt

ps: Many thanks to Edwin, Joonho and the others at the meet for your help!

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by ProPerDoper View Post
    I've searched the forum, and wonder if I might be able to gain any new ideas on how to repair/reset the airbag warning light.

At the Nor Cal 7 meet last Saturday, we read the codes with three different software programs, and none could communicate with my airbag module or reset the error code.

After consulting with myairbagsystems. com, I also checked the fuse/sensor on the battery positive cable by disassembling the connector and checking for continuity on both sides. Seems fine, and shows no signs of being blown.

Some have suggested that it may be the airbag module itself, located under the center console. Wonder if there's a way to have it checked before simply replacing it?

Given the safety issue with this, (I cart around kids) I'm pretty close to dropping the car at my local indy mechanic (ex BMW dealer mechanic) to diagnose and repair, but with the plug and play nature of most of these connections/components, thought I'd give it one last shot here, hoping for any new ideas.

Thoughts?

Kurt

ps: Many thanks to Edwin, Joonho and the others at the meet for your help!
    Its not Plug nPlay module....it must be coded....I hav had same problem with my airbag light on for 18 months...1st diag was power to pass side air bag disconnected?..so I took apart the door and found nothing unusual. Removed the center console and located the module and still nada...I unplugged them and re plugged all i could see...I had Edwin clear airbag light but it still was stubborn. His DIAG was my module being bad..So i went to junk yard and bought a Airbag module loacted under center console and had Alex from Wash code the module....it was worst. It had a few more errors due to it being from a wrecked 7. So I slapped back my original...I still im clueless on why my SRS light came on inthe 1st place. This was way b4 I started to mod my 7. For the pass side A/b to get disconnected is beyond me.
    I gave up. Since the airbag is for the passenger side A/B I just taped off the cluster`s light in the dash and gone is my 18 month annoying light....im sure I can get it fixed at indy but Im sure its a few thousands $$$ so screw that!!
    Last edited by cazal740i; 05-12-2009 at 01:28 PM.
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    2011 328i Convertible
    Yup....I've seen your posts, and I feel ur pain bro! I can't seem to get a code out of mine, so it's difficult to know where to start.

I'm hoping for some step by step process to magically come through the forum which will get me started on resolution.

Okay...maybe just another suggestion from a member to try.
    Last edited by ProPerDoper; 05-12-2009 at 01:41 PM.

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by ProPerDoper View Post
    Yup....I've seen your posts, and I feel ur pain bro!

I'm hoping for some step by step process to magically come through the forum which will get me started on resolution.

Okay...maybe just another suggestion from a member to try.
    Not even the great Edwin knew what to do.....it really needs a proper diag since there is so many wires,sensors that can go bad ..Its impossible to finger point the error,,,Ive been asking for 18 months and really it is simple solution to bringing the car to the dealer or Indy and also dont forget ur suitcase of $$
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    2011 328i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by cazal740i View Post
    Not even the great Edwin knew what to do.....it really needs a proper diag since there is so many wires,sensors that can go bad ..Its impossible to finger point the error,,,Ive been asking for 18 months and really it is simple solution to bringing the car to the dealer or Indy and also dont forget ur suitcase of $$
    I think you nailed it. The reason that I have an error code and warning light still existing is that I've been resisting the trip to the shop with suitcase full of cash in hand. Guess the problem is self-imposed!

My Cars
    2001 e38
    Hi,

I think it's scarier driving an e38 WITHOUT the airbag light on...I mean, is there actually a BMW that's 6+ years old with a functioning airbag system???. Kidding aside, my light has been on for the longest time as well. After reading the codes with Carsoft, I learned there could be a 2 issues:

1) One or more sensor mats could be broken. I can't remember all the details in this DIY but I'm pretty sure it involves removing the seats, seat covers etc.
    2) There is a wire/connector in the seat belt buckle that either disconnects or breaks after a while. This is supposedly a cheap fix (less than $15 for a new wiring harness).

I know there are some write-ups somewhere, maybe e38.org or on this site. Hope this helps!

ettore38

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    If a sensor mat is broken the module will still respond and give you that code.

In this case the module has a internal failure so it can't be read or cleared

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    00 740il (Its Long)
    That is what I was thinking when I was reading the post, if a module is not responsing or giving some other code not on the manufactor code list, then you have a bad module.

Since it is not a plug and play, the module needs to be recoded and if you disconnect any airbag the system needs to be reset.

So, if you did one and not the other you will still get a SRS light. I suggest have both done.

I call BMW to see how much it cost to re-code my EGS computer, $1500.00 and a new EGS computer is not included.

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    what??? i could have done that man!!

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    00 740il (Its Long)
    I know, that is why I wish you want still here. I am getting a computer from a 740i with a steptronic so I won't have to have it re-coded.

Took me all day with the dealer calling them with the VIN from 5 computer trying to verify it was a sports one.

They were very helpful, told me everything I need to do in order to convert it. Basically the same stuff that is on the e38 website.

Hey, maybe that is where they got it from!?!?!?!?

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Why not get a set from Scubba steve?

My Cars
    2001 740i
    my airbag light is on, mechanic who scanned it said cant connect to the control module. any write ups on how to get to this out under the center console? my mechanic can recode them just need to find out the exact part # as there seems to be alot of variations of this part. 2001 e38 (cdn car)

My Cars
    2011 328i Convertible

Let's Pool Resources!

Quote Originally Posted by santon View Post
    my airbag light is on, mechanic who scanned it said cant connect to the control module. any write ups on how to get to this out under the center console? my mechanic can recode them just need to find out the exact part # as there seems to be alot of variations of this part. 2001 e38 (cdn car)
    I'll be watching this closely, as I've still yet to resolve my issue. A console R&R is found here: http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/294454

I purchased the PA Soft diagnosis interface and software, but have no RS232 port on my laptop, so then purchased an RS232 - USB adapter and software, have yet to install - busy with other stuff. (Stereo upgrades on boat and Dodge Ram)

Let's post any progress here.
    Last edited by ProPerDoper; 06-11-2009 at 10:09 PM.

My Cars
    1997 740i

SRS scan/reset

Just make sure, unless you have a VERY LATE build e38, you must use the round connector under the hood to scan and reset the SRS system. The OBD connector on the dash/console will only talk with the engine control unit ECU.

See http://www.bavariantechnic.com/RoundConnector.aspx

My Cars
    2011 328i Convertible

Thanks for the heads up!

I've had mechanics diagnose using both connectors on my car. I do intent to use the round one under the hood, however.

Still haven't got to this. Been driving with the air bag dummy light on...like a dummy.

After thinking about this further I recalled that my light came on after running aux in cable under my dash for the stereo, and fiddling with the ignition switch connectors on the steering column to check for power.

I wonder if I caused a bad connection or something to set off the light......

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Bingo. You prolly pissed off a wire connector in the harness somewhere related to the SRS module. Could really be any where. Suggest you jingle somethings around where you were playing last time.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    2011 328i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by IcemanBHE View Post
    Suggest you jingle somethings around where you were playing last time.
    Oh...you mean in the car....

When we tried to diagnose with the PA soft system (Round connector) the diagnostic tool couldn't talk with the SRS module.

I still need to try and connect my new PA soft tool and give it a try...after "jingling around where I was playing last time."

My Cars
    1998 740il
    this may be a fluke but mine was on and I pulled the cluster out and put it back in and the light was gone. As easy as it is it may be worth a try.

My Cars
    2011 328i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by amschnellsten View Post
    this may be a fluke but mine was on and I pulled the cluster out and put it back in and the light was gone. As easy as it is it may be worth a try.
    Agreed, it's worth a try, but I have to admit that although I appreciate the suggestion, I'm not real hopeful that I'll be as lucky as you.

I found a new Indy Mechanic that I really like so far. He's new to the area, and although they have a very successful shop about 25 miles away, they're working hard on putting together a customer base here in town by providing great service at competitive prices. As an example, I was paying $130 for an oil change w/Mobil 1. He charged $65, and allowed me to hang out while he did the service, ask questions, kick tires, etc. I learn a lot this way. He ran a full scan at no charge, and we learned that the oil reset wouldn't take. He says it's the same module as the SRS module. (Accurate?)

I'm afraid that I'll have to break down and change out the SRS module. If anyone has any suggestions as to where I can locate one competitively, (New, used, refurb) I'd appreciate the advice.

My Cars
    No 1/2 tons
    Did you get the problem solved? What was it?

My Cars
    2011 328i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
    Did you get the problem solved? What was it?
    Nope. Still driving like a dummy with the dummy light on....

I found a used module in LA for $360. Seemed pretty steep for a used set up.

You just reminded me that I was supposed to call back to an online airbag service company that suspected it might be a sensor at the battery. Again...I'm not that hopeful about that remedy, but I'm sure open to hearing what he has to say.

My Cars
    740iL/66 SS Chevy Impala
    So what happened? Did the light go away?
    I had a few osv and sensor codes, changed osv changed sensors, changed oil, and then I put a copper wire in connections 19&7 (8 seconds only) and that made the check engine light reset. It's been about 90 miles and 3 days and the light has yet to come on again. BUTTT the airbag light is still on. Does anyone know what will happened if I leave it for more than 8 seconds? will that reset the airbag light or will it make my car explode? Thanks. I'm talking about the round thing under the hood that says Dinan software blahblah on the sticker.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 728i
    Quote Originally Posted by cazal740i View Post
    ....im sure I can get it fixed at indy but Im sure its a few thousands $$$ so screw that!!
    It's ssimple. Go to ebay auction and find BMW Scanner tools v.1.36 - cheap - around $60 -$80 (today is v.1.40 but still expensive).
    You need a computer or Notebook with serial port (older models).
    I tested it on my car and other models - work fine. Can clear many other Error codes too. So it MUCH cheaper than go to the Garage for diagnostic, repair and clear the error codes.

My Cars
    2011 328i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Alebur View Post
    It's ssimple. Go to ebay auction and find BMW Scanner tools v.1.36 - cheap - around $60 -$80 (today is v.1.40 but still expensive).
    You need a computer or Notebook with serial port (older models).
    I tested it on my car and other models - work fine. Can clear many other Error codes too. So it MUCH cheaper than go to the Garage for diagnostic, repair and clear the error codes.
    I have this diagnostic tool, but it won't clear the airbag code as apparently both my module and the passenger seat sensor mat are bad.

Just a bit of black electrical tape over the light took care of that nonsense.

My Cars
    1998 750il
    I just replaced a delaminated window on my 750il. Had to disconnect the airbag module to remove the insulation foam board. Forgot to unplug the negative terminal and now the airbag light is on. Is the dealer the only place to reset this? Anyone know how much?

Any alternative methods?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast