Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E38 Airbag Warning Light On

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    A SRS tool, Indy or dealer can help you

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    DIS/INPA or a PEAKE SRS reset tool.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    2000 740iA Sport
    On later E46, E38, E39 and E53 models the side airbag connector is sensitive (with black plug, not yellow). While replacing a window regulator on my sister-in-law's x5 2001, I powered off the car, removed the key, and let sit for several minutes, as instructed by my master tech at the shop where I work. I tore down the panel, airbag, harness and did the R/R of the regulator successfully. Driving the car back home, no warning lights.
    Demonstrated window function to owner, no warning lights.
    Owner starts car several hours later: Airbag light comes on.
    Why? I believe I must have snapped off one of the four little teeth on the connector plug, substantiated by this thread:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=373769
    The computer DIS was reading a "resistance too low" fault.
    IF you have this problem (and YES I took it back to the shop to clear codes on the GT-One, also swapped the airbag with one from a similar car, AND did the full wiring check all the way through the door harness) then you can buy a new connector WITHOUT the full harness. The part number is not listed in real OEM, but if you talk to a dealer or shop with ETK and Dealerspeed programs running you can find it at a local dealership.
    p/n: 61 12 9 118 135
    costs less than $30. Comes with "squib connector" attached to probably eight feet of wiring. Tomorrow I install it, and will update this thread with new info as to result once codes are cleared.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by bigblackseven; 09-03-2010 at 03:01 AM.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Simple. Unplug the battery before you do any airbag work....anywhere...
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    2011 328i Convertible

Back on this issue...

I had a mobile mechanic come by today to do some work on my e38, and I'm looking at tackling this again.

Does anyone have any experience with one of the online airbag module repair companies? They claim for $40 they'll fix and send it back to you. I have an email into one now with request for details on my specific model.

Also...anyone have a link to one of the passenger seat occupancy sensor bypass fixes?

BTW...I located an ex BMW mechanic that was very reasonable out of the Oakland area. Came to my home with a GT1, very patient, knowledgeable and reasonable, if anyone interested. I'm gonna hire him again to change my thermostat, two front o2 sensors, belts, etc.

UPDATE: I heard back from one of the airbag module repair facilities who said that if my car had not been crashed, a reset wouldn't help me. I purchased a passenger seat occupancy mat bypass on eBay, and am now in search for a used airbag module p/n 65778386131 per realoem.com.

Please post reply or message me if you have suggestions on where to look. I have inquiries into several BMW recyclers now....
    Last edited by ProPerDoper; 01-29-2011 at 11:56 AM.

My Cars
    2011 328i Convertible

Which Airbag Module?

I need direction regarding my SRS module. Per my earlier post the model in my car according to Realoem.com is # 65778386131.

There are lots of used modules for sale on eBay, many claiming correct fitment for my car, but none with this exact part number.

Bavarian Recycling in Sacramento CA says there are many models which superseded mine, and for $150 they have a used module guaranteed to work or they send out another.

What can anyone tell me about which part number will replace mine after being properly coded?

Is there a list of part numbers compatible with my model car?

My Cars
    2011 328i Convertible

Problem solved...

I installed a passenger seat occupancy sensor bypass purchased on eBay for $26, and a used SRS airbag module for $32, also on eBay. The replacement was not difficult at all.

Today I had my mobile mechanic come out and do some service work, (replaced belts, thermostat, 2) O2 sensors) and do a recode on my SRS module. The old SRS module had to be re-installed and read first, then the used replacement was installed and coded. Worked great...no error codes!

Again...if anyone is looking for a good mobile tech in the SF Bay Area...I've found an excellent one, and would be happy to pass on his contact info.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740il
    I have only one thing to say.......... why pay to have o2 sensors replaced. Buy the sensors and do it yourself. Save yourself 50 bucks

My Cars
    2011 328i Convertible
    Solid Thread Revival! :-)

My Cars
    '96, '98 & '00 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by ProPerDoper View Post
    Solid Thread Revival! :-)
    Did you ever fix the light, besides the tape? Lol All three of my E38s have the airbag light on.

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by 914 View Post
    Did you ever fix the light, besides the tape? Lol All three of my E38s have the airbag light on.
    Get passenger occupancy sensor bypass from eBay first before doing anything else. I've fixed 3-4 e38-e39's this way. Some cars will need to have the codes cleared some won't. If that doesn't work then consider a finding some with a proper scanner to do a functionality test. Dead thread lives on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 528i 2000 740iL
    Just replaced a front regulator and unplugged the airbag, not worrying since I have pa soft and inpa, only to find out that neither are able to reset this light. Any ideas why inpa and pa soft are unable to reset this module? I have communication with both and can read the errors.

My Cars
    1994 E34 530i
    Sorry for reviving a old thread, I have a 2000 e38 740IL I just bought, Ive checked the fault codes, and I have several dealing with the SRS system.
    Its looking like the control unit is bad, as one of the fault codes clearly states internal unit fault, along with a power fault code, which Ive already tracked down the power, which it IS getting power to the unit.
    The other fault codes are as followed,
    driver side airbag
    Driver side tensioner high resistance
    Driver side seat belt occupancy switch iirc, <- which Ive tested and it works, the seat belt light does go out in dash
    Is it possible to recode a srs unit from one e38 to another e38?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Sounds like your seat my be the issue. Are all the codes you've had been related to the drivers side? I've had a problem with that before had to clean the connection to the seat and then replace the seat wiring harness due to moisture

My Cars
    1994 E34 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundaycruzer View Post
    Sounds like your seat my be the issue. Are all the codes you've had been related to the drivers side? I've had a problem with that before had to clean the connection to the seat and then replace the seat wiring harness due to moisture

All of them are dealing with the drivers side, besides the internal unit fault and power fault for which Im currently tracking down a good used srs control unit to replace it

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Just junked a 99 might be able to grab it, if it will work

My Cars
    1994 E34 530i
    Just junked a 99 might be able to grab it, if it will work

The 740iL I have was built 3/99, it may work, I believe as long as its newer than that, it should work

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie D View Post
    The 740iL I have was built 3/99, it may work, I believe as long as its newer than that, it should work

I asked the if I could get air bag module I'll know today and it's 5/99

My Cars
    1994 E34 530i
    I asked the if I could get air bag module I'll know today and it's 5/99

I got 2 modules from a pull a part near me, I changed it out with one of them, everything works now, I appreciate you trying to find out about one also

My Cars
    2001 740il
    That's a good thing glad it worked out. If I would have thought about it a week ago, I could have walked outside and pulled it

My Cars
    1999 740Il,1999 Corvette
    Which wrecking yard? I live about an hour from Sonora.

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Oakdale auto wreckers, I gutted that car has some good body panels left though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12