Thread: Bmw E30 help.

My Cars
    search for E30

Bmw E30 help.

Hello, i've been lurking around the forum for a little while now and decided that i should sign up and be a part of the family.

I'm currently in search for an E30 325i or 325is. I was wondering what some of the major differences are between them.

I'm having a hard time making my decision by just reading, so if you guys can give me some feedback, i'd appreciate it.

thanks.

My Cars
    87 325is
    The differences between an I and IS are trim and that all IS cars have a limited slip differential. Limited slip was an option for all E30's, so an I car may have it.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    E46 2003 330XI
    exterior and interior trim, and drive control; specifically diff, rear and front suspension. what may be options on an i came standard with is....everything else is the same mechanically and chassis wise and same mb2025...unless you go convertible or M3 then the chassis structured differently...though it goes without saying the m3 had an 4cyl s14 engine different from all other e30s

btw with age of these cars now...just buy an I and do what you need to do to it nothing real special about an is except for the extra letter....coming from someone who currently owns an is which is a replacement for an i
    Last edited by HunkaTunka; 05-10-2009 at 03:08 PM.
    ///Motorsport
    1987 325is 5spd....RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Steve92E34 View Post
    Your car is breathing my air, and so are you.
    AND you are both still slow

My Cars
    search for E30
    Quote Originally Posted by thejlevie View Post
    The differences between an I and IS are trim and that all IS cars have a limited slip differential. Limited slip was an option for all E30's, so an I car may have it.
    Can you please clarify or give me a link to the differences of the trim.

And What are the ratios for the differentials including the lsd?

Quote Originally Posted by HunkaTunka View Post
    exterior and interior trim, and drive control; specifically diff, rear and front suspension. what may be options on an i came standard with is....everything else is the same mechanically and chassis wise and same mb2025...unless you go convertible or M3 then the chassis structured differently...though it goes without saying the m3 had an 4cyl s14 engine different from all other e30s

btw with age of these cars now...just buy an I and do what you need to do to it nothing real special about an is except for the extra letter....coming from someone who currently owns an is which is a replacement for an i
    haha thanks for the suggestion.

Can you give me some advice on purchase for a 325i? anything i should specifically look out for?

I went through the list of e30 buyers guide (http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showpos...40&postcount=1) and specifications (http://e30world.com/specifications/BMW-E30-specs-table)

Basically, i don't want to regret my purchase, really want to take the time and find something that in good shape that i can hold on to for a long time.

bump.

bump.
    Last edited by Bmwseth; 05-11-2009 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E46 2003 330XI
    just look for rust though you're in LA you may not encounter any as bad as over here in NY....many parts you're gonna end up replacing anyway. Don't worry about ticking engines they all have a slight tick....check for any leaks, odd sounds...don't pick one up off of some ricer...try to get one clean and stock so you can make it a car to suit your style. even the newest e30s are almost 17yo....be prepared to have normal maintenance done immediately (timing belt, oil, coolant flush, other belts, hoses, etc) that will cost some money but it'll pay off in the long run....if you start if off right with the essentials, your ownerships costs with be kept at a minimum...with that being said these cars will run forever if maintained properly and regularly. Keep in mind they are performance cars and many of them over their lifetimes have been beat on especially mb2025....thats the thing they're fun cars and you can continue to beat on them if you take of the essentials and don't cheat on it.

BTW, they're real easy to work on...most of the time its straight forward parts replacement
    ///Motorsport
    1987 325is 5spd....RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Steve92E34 View Post
    Your car is breathing my air, and so are you.
    AND you are both still slow

My Cars
    search for E30
    Quote Originally Posted by HunkaTunka View Post
    just look for rust though you're in LA you may not encounter any as bad as over here in NY....many parts you're gonna end up replacing anyway. Don't worry about ticking engines they all have a slight tick....check for any leaks, odd sounds...don't pick one up off of some ricer...try to get one clean and stock so you can make it a car to suit your style. even the newest e30s are almost 17yo....be prepared to have normal maintenance done immediately (timing belt, oil, coolant flush, other belts, hoses, etc) that will cost some money but it'll pay off in the long run....if you start if off right with the essentials, your ownerships costs with be kept at a minimum...with that being said these cars will run forever if maintained properly and regularly. Keep in mind they are performance cars and many of them over their lifetimes have been beat on especially mb2025....thats the thing they're fun cars and you can continue to beat on them if you take of the essentials and don't cheat on it.

BTW, they're real easy to work on...most of the time its straight forward parts replacement
    Thank you for taking the time to help me out on this subject. I will take everything you mentioned into consideration.

Anymore useful advice/tips like this post above^ would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325iS
    Make sure to check when the timing belt was last changed. Look for any indications of previous accident damage.

Some of the more common LSD ratios include 2.93, 3.25, 3.46, 3.73, 4.10

Items that iS cars will have over plain i's: M-Tech I steering wheel, 13-button OBC, sport seats, LSD, iS front and rear lips, basketweave wheels.

Also, have you decided whether you like the diving board bumpers vs. the plastics? Plastics were only on cars from '89 on, however '88s can be converted without any fabrication.
    Cirrusblau '87 325 Sedan - RIP
    Schwarz '89 325i Coupe - RIP
    Delphin '87 325iS - Coming back soon!

My Cars
    search for E30
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel 87 325 View Post
    Make sure to check when the timing belt was last changed. Look for any indications of previous accident damage.

Some of the more common LSD ratios include 2.93, 3.25, 3.46, 3.73, 4.10

Items that iS cars will have over plain i's: M-Tech I steering wheel, 13-button OBC, sport seats, LSD, iS front and rear lips, basketweave wheels.

Also, have you decided whether you like the diving board bumpers vs. the plastics? Plastics were only on cars from '89 on, however '88s can be converted without any fabrication.
    wow, you answered so many of my questions without me even asking. Huge thanks!

Can you please forward me to some pictures to the plastic vs. diving board bumpers?

and also what is the ratio of Lsd and non-lsd differentials for the "i" model?

Anyone else?

bumpp
    Last edited by Bmwseth; 05-12-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost