Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Make your own MAF conversion for under $50, I did it

My Cars
    1998 e36

MAF conversions don't work

After experimenting with different MAF conversions over the years, I came to conclusion that stock AFM is not restrictive at all and does a good job. Don't waste your time and money on any of the MAF conversion products for our E30 M20
    Last edited by hakentt; 11-06-2021 at 12:22 AM. Reason: nevermind

My Cars
    325ic,,1992...fiat coupe16vturbo 1996
    an excellent conversion ...do you mind if I post this elsewhere as i think it should be shared..
    I have the Miller maf and did not have to cut any wires ..just spade connected it to the male plug but I think they now provide a proper female connector.
    Rather than run the power from the fse box I scotch locked mine to the live coming into the box where the relays are(under the word "done" in your pic). it has worked for 2 years now with no probs
    Last edited by n3dsd; 05-09-2009 at 03:41 AM.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by n3dsd View Post
    an excellent conversion ...do you mind if I post this elsewhere as i think it should be shared..
    I have the Miller maf and did not have to cut any wires ..just spade connected it to the male plug but I think they now provide a proper female connector.
    Rather than run the power from the fse box I scotch locked mine to the live coming into the box where the relays are(under the word "done" in your pic). it has worked for 2 years now with no probs
    Yes feel free to share this information, thats the reason I posted it.
    Last edited by hakentt; 05-09-2009 at 05:32 AM.

My Cars
    E30 325i Coupe
    kick azz.. must keep an eye out for a hayundai MAF.

how did the car run before tweaking the map? i havent the facilities to tune the car and im running a performance chip atm. have no idea what the specs on the chip are other than it raises the redline to 7k rpms. im also running a 173 FWIW.

- My E30: Project 325i

- WMMotorsports.co.uk

My Cars
    '96 328is
    sounds like it revs a lot smoother too.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    You don't need to have 173 ecu. You can have 380, 524, 525 or even 179, they will all work in E30 year 88 to 91, they will all take chip from 173 and will work fine.

sounds like it revs a lot smoother too.
    It does feel like that, but I got automatic so it feels lazy anyway, I can't notice much difference.

how did the car run before tweaking the map?
    started right up and ran rich, you need a software you can't run the car without it even tho it runs.

My Cars
    1959 Chevy Impala, 1994 Ford Tempo, 1954 Ford F250
    So, how would this work on an '84 325e?
    The Neighbors Boy
    Terrorizing America's highways and byways since 1975.

Daughter's car: 1984 325e coupe
    Wife's car: 1986 325 sedan, now featuring an i-spec engine!
    My vehicle: 1954 Ford F250

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Dee View Post
    So, how would this work on an '84 325e?
    You got motronic 1.0 with ecu number 0 261 200 027
    That is even easier to tune for MAF, but I don't have a 84-87 car to test it on,

My Cars
    1959 Chevy Impala, 1994 Ford Tempo, 1954 Ford F250
    I'll have to remember that for future reference. RIght now our focus is just on getting the car started. After that, who knows what will happen?
    The Neighbors Boy
    Terrorizing America's highways and byways since 1975.

Daughter's car: 1984 325e coupe
    Wife's car: 1986 325 sedan, now featuring an i-spec engine!
    My vehicle: 1954 Ford F250

My Cars
    '96 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
    It does feel like that, but I got automatic so it feels lazy anyway, I can't notice much difference.
    Manual conversion time!

Also, how about a 1986 BMW 325e?

I also forget which ECU I have, I got one from the junk yard out of another '86 and the car runs better.
    Last edited by Shadow86325e; 05-09-2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    too many bmws
    nice.. it's always nice when someone thinks about a problem, does the necessary research and provides a solution instead of the usual half-ass crap.
    '91 SpecE30 #523
    '12 F30 328i Sport Line
    '00 F-350 Dually
    BMWCCA #360858 NASA # 128290

https://www.facebook.com/COTABBR

My Cars
    328is, 66' Corvette
    Applause for the OP! Its been 15 years since I owned an e30, but back then I hated the dreaded flap-style air-meter. I had a very radical m20, and only resort (without going Motec) was the M30 larger flap meter. Good job OP!

My Cars
    85 BMW 325e
    You are a total goober for doing this...and I LOVE IT!!
    thanks for being creative and innovative!
    Good work!

My Cars
    E30
    Cool man! How much $ was all the ECU-emulation stuff?

My Cars
    1998 e36
    After driving the car for two days now with this maf conversion, I can say that I do feel better throttle response and smoother reving.
    Emulation tool is $180 but you don't need it. It is only for tuning the car properly with new things then you just burn the file on the chip. I will be working on some more tunes like bigger injectors and other upgrades and I will post the tunes so anybody can try it. I offered to do this while back here and was threatened by moderation because they tought that there is no way that I am doing this for free. Vendors are promoting their products here making money on people but I can't even share my findings here for free? I don't understand it, forum is all about sharing information.

My Cars
    95 325i, 87 325i & 325is
    I'm curious to see how the software you mentioned will work with an e36 MAF. I have one for a 97 M3 and have been looking into the tuning issues. Where do you get the software?

My Cars
    1998 e36
    97 M3 maf is 4 pin it lacks features. that maf is not a good choice. I already said what kind of software I am using to tune 173 ecu in my original post.

My Cars
    E30
    If you are being hindered by air temperature sensors (or a lack thereof), I can help you. When I did my stand-alone MAF conversion, I took measurements & determined the thermistor's coefficients, and you can get ones with the right coefficients for like $0.22 on Digikey. Just stuff them in anywhere & hook them up...I have been running my car with one for like 20k miles. This gave me a LOT more freedom in choosing a MAF.

My DIY story is here:
    http://bmw.e30tuner.com/articles_mafcon.php

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwman91 View Post
    If you are being hindered by air temperature sensors (or a lack thereof), I can help you. When I did my stand-alone MAF conversion, I took measurements & determined the thermistor's coefficients, and you can get ones with the right coefficients for like $0.22 on Digikey. Just stuff them in anywhere & hook them up...I have been running my car with one for like 20k miles. This gave me a LOT more freedom in choosing a MAF.

My DIY story is here:
    http://bmw.e30tuner.com/articles_mafcon.php
    Interesting read there, the problem with your project is you used a sensor that is more compex to convert, then you built a controller that will convert the signal to ecu instead of tuning the ecu's software directly.
    Using the sensor that I am using the conversion is simple. I was tuning by using wideband 02 sensor to nail the proper air fuel ratio over whole rpm range and I drove the car and tuned it by driving it, this is more effecting then trying to tune the components on the bench.
    I am glad that you have proven with facts that there is no actual horsepower gain because stock afm is not that restrictive, once the momentum of the mass air passes and flap opens it does not restrict the flow it actualy glides over the mass air passing. I haven't seen a second party dyno tests other than what miller is claiming 20hp gain.

My Cars
    E30
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
    Interesting read there, the problem with your project is you used a sensor that is more compex to convert, then you built a controller that will convert the signal to ecu instead of tuning the ecu's software directly.
    Using the sensor that I am using the conversion is simple. I was tuning by using wideband 02 sensor to nail the proper air fuel ratio over whole rpm range and I drove the car and tuned it by driving it, this is more effecting then trying to tune the components on the bench.
    I am glad that you have proven with facts that there is no actual horsepower gain because stock afm is not that restrictive, once the momentum of the mass air passes and flap opens it does not restrict the flow it actualy glides over the mass air passing. I haven't seen a second party dyno tests other than what miller is claiming 20hp gain.
    Yeah, the AFM "restriction" thing is the driving force behind people wanting a MAF. Basically, the small amount of force your finger needs to push the flap open is all the resistance the flap creates...which is none for all practical purposes. Now, MAF's do have other benefits as it sounds like you found, such as better response. I found that my idle improved as well.

We sort of took opposite routes to do this. I didn't want to mess with the ECU (well, I ran Megasquirt on my first car, but that was too much trouble for a largely stock motor). Being that I design electronic measurement systems / instrumentation for fun and here & there at work when it is needed, I figured that messing with the signal-side would be more fun. Initially, I had planned to sell MAF conversion kits. Sadly, if something does not make more HP, 95% of the consumer market loses interest immediately; you could sell something that makes the car fly, and it wouldn't sell if you couldn't claim improvements on a dyno.

I will not state this as fact as I have no personal experience with Miller, nor do I have an opinion about them (good or bad), but here's my guess about the 20hp claim. It is probably true, with a caveat. The 20hp is relative to stock ECU tuning with an AFM. They don't JUST sell a MAF converison, they sell a tuned chip. The gains are basically identical to those seen with a Conforti or MarkD chip, and the "Big-Six" AFM conversion (since the M20i's AFM is a little under-sized). They are not lying about anything, they are just marketing, which is what everyone in the automotive aftermarket has to do to stay in business.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    you could sell something that makes the car fly, and it wouldn't sell if you couldn't claim improvements on a dyno.
    well said
    Last edited by hakentt; 05-12-2009 at 02:27 AM.

My Cars
    '03 540i M-Tech
    What exactly are the benefits of the MAF conversion?
    Not trying to be a dick, I just have no clue.

SC*AR

My Cars
    E30S50, E46, E39 M5
    The engine, in general, runs better. Also, it's an exercise in knowledge. It's like the uber nerd version of a custom engine rebuild. Electronics are always the tricky part of newer technology, and the people who understand how it works always end up king. This thread gets 100% thumbs up. Awesome read.

E46 328Ci
    Carbon Fiber Everything | BBS LM Reps | Koni FSD Eibach Pro Kit | CSL Replica Bumper & Trunklid | Haters Gonna Hate
    Frankenmotor S50 swapped E30 325is.
    Billy Sports | Eibach Pro Springs | IE 22/19 Sway kit | Supersprint Headers | Stealth Straightpipes | Ported Head | 3-Angle Valve Grind | Conforti

My Cars
    325ic,,1992...fiat coupe16vturbo 1996
    the experience here across the pond of Miller Mafs is that they do not produce massive horsepower gains but much better throttle response and excellent gains in torque but this is usually tied in with other mods such as BBTBs and 6 branch headers...for instance mine pulls all the way from 1k revs in 5th which makes for a very pleasant driving experience ,especialy in traffic.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    What exactly are the benefits of the MAF conversion?
    Not trying to be a dick, I just have no clue.
    If you got MAF you are cool. If you have stock AFM then you are not cool.

I did quick search in google, and found few articles, this one is from porsche parts vendor:
    the quicker throttle response and revving happier characteristics encountered with newer engines then this is a must have upgrade for you.
    Then found another page where they dynoed 1988 M3 with and without maf conversion, gain was ~10+ hp, and ~10+ torq, here is the link: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/art...rs-older-cars/

All tho it is different engine than M20 you can see it on the dyno sheet how drastic the low rpm power improved, maybe this is why everybody say better throttle response

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast