Thread: Advice for new M5 owner

My Cars
    91 M5 , 96 Legacy

Advice for new M5 owner

Greetings. I am about to be the proud owner of a very nice 91 M5. I am super excited to own this once in a lifetime car and was wondering if you guys had any advice as far as the driving experience. To fill you in on my history, I am an AWD guy. On my 2nd Subaru right now. I drive about 110 miles a day although that will change soon.

I'ld really like to know about what to look out for as far as changes in driving conditions. Like rain, snow, beautiful days, etc. How big of a concern is hydroplaning? I will commute through Boston and the roads aren't great, so I need to know what to look out for. I understand that much will be left to the condition of the car, but are there any hot spots? Is it dangerous to be driving 75 in medium rain? I'm sorry if that's stupid, but with a subaru and an open road, the rain or snow isn't going to bother you, as long as you don't do something stupid like slam on the breaks or turn .

I'm already in love with the car and I am going to baby it as it has been for the past 18 years of it's life. So if you have any advice, I'ld love to hear it.

Thanks,

Joe

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    The most important thing to do is swear allegiance to me as you lifetime friend and give me the spare keys to the car and garage.

Congratulations on a great acquisition! You lucky sod!

My Cars
    '11 Golf TDI+Porsche 996
    I drove my E34 daily through summer and winter. I didn't get stuck once and I drove it every day to school. These cars are not bad in snow if you know how to handle them.

And toast pics nao.
    I own mostly junk. Except the Porsche, that's kind of cool.
    All the motorcycles are trash which you can read about at
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/

I'll update it eventually

Thansk

My Cars
    A lot of your questions come down to the tires.Buy good tires and you won't need to worry about driving in the rain, snow, or anything else. My advice is to read reviews and look at comparisons of tires before you just blindly buy a new set from your local tire place. tirerack.com is a good place to start.

Oh, and congrats!

My Cars
    94 540,72 3.0CS,'13 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid3ntr0py View Post
    Greetings. I am about to be the proud owner of a very nice 91 M5. I am super excited to own this once in a lifetime car and was wondering if you guys had any advice as far as the driving experience. To fill you in on my history, I am an AWD guy. On my 2nd Subaru right now. I drive about 110 miles a day although that will change soon.

I'ld really like to know about what to look out for as far as changes in driving conditions. Like rain, snow, beautiful days, etc. How big of a concern is hydroplaning? I will commute through Boston and the roads aren't great, so I need to know what to look out for. I understand that much will be left to the condition of the car, but are there any hot spots? Is it dangerous to be driving 75 in medium rain? I'm sorry if that's stupid, but with a subaru and an open road, the rain or snow isn't going to bother you, as long as you don't do something stupid like slam on the breaks or turn .

I'm already in love with the car and I am going to baby it as it has been for the past 18 years of it's life. So if you have any advice, I'ld love to hear it.

Thanks,

Joe
    I can't comment on the snow, but I have driven my 540 through a hurricane at about 50-60. After that, the back will get kinda squirrely in heavy rains. Thankfully, you have a LSD, so that should help remedy that considerably. Also, given the torque characteristics of the S38, you'd have to be revving it pretty high (above 3k) for the torque to be a real issue. Like you said, just don't do anything crazy, and it will carry you through.

My Cars
    E34 M5
    How big of a concern is hydroplaning?
    As much of a concern as it is on your Subaru's. Drive type really doesn't affect hydroplaning; tire choice does.

My Cars
    E34 & E39
    your going to have a lot... a lot of fun!

As for handling, you could not have picked a better car, get a really good set of tires and your set.
    Last edited by Parker731; 05-09-2009 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    91 M5, 90 525i & 04 M3
    Check this place out for a more sedate response to ///M5 questions.

No angel eyes, stickers, flex pipe, or home depot CAI projects

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34-m5-discussion/

Edit: And random thread jacks
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg Bob; 05-09-2009 at 04:53 AM.
    Insert enhanced picture of car here:___________

Insert a trite & witty quote here:___________

Insert a list of fictitious modifications here:___________

My Cars
    2015 Volvo V40, 2005 X5
    Garrett...what are you doing with your life? You stray from E34 to a Rustang and you sell it straight away and buy a lowered road train?

My Cars
    '11 Golf TDI+Porsche 996
    Quote Originally Posted by Aindriu View Post
    Garrett...what are you doing with your life? You stray from E34 to a Rustang and you sell it straight away and buy a lowered road train?
    Road train?
    I own mostly junk. Except the Porsche, that's kind of cool.
    All the motorcycles are trash which you can read about at
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/

I'll update it eventually

Thansk

My Cars
    Suck
    lol Aindriu, that RS is a cool car around here man!

OP, I lived in Boston for a long time, and as long as you drive conservatively you should be fine. Having said that, I drive like a maniac, and Boston roads suck. I'd pick up a cheap set of wheels to beat on, or get to be REALLY good friends with RimPro in Tewksbury, expect to bend wheels on Boston roads.

Having said all that, I'd SO LOVE to have an M5 to do laps up and down the Jway all day long.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    1995 M5T Elekta
    If you can afford an M5, then you can afford a winter beater. Don't drive the M5 in the snow, salt, gravel etc. Just don't...you will have too much money in it and emotions invested just to see it rear ended by someone who can't drive as well as you. Get a 525iT rust bucket for about $1000 and some steel wheels and studded tires, heated seats and you are good to go...
    any way you can keep the suburu? Or get a suburu beater

That car deserves better than the slow death of winter compromises

My Cars
    89 M5, 92 M5
    How many miles on your car? If its a low miler get a winter beater, if its a high miler and you are going to drive it in the winter, I have a set of 4 Blizzacks mounted on original M5 wheels I may be selling, or get a good set of 4 snow tires for your car, I have used Blizzacks and Michelin Pilot winter sports on my vehicles and can say they are both very good, the Blizzacks are the best, but very soft compound means shorter life. Make sure you get the valves adjusted yearly and don't be lax with your maintenance or you will pay big in the end.

My Cars
    2015 Volvo V40, 2005 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettSR5 View Post
    Road train?
    Only Izusu you will find here in Australia are trucks or road trains (long long long long trucks that driver inter-state).

My Cars
    95 525it/5, 99 528i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Elekta View Post
    If you can afford an M5, then you can afford a winter beater. Don't drive the M5 in the snow, salt, gravel etc. Just don't...you will have too much money in it and emotions invested just to see it rear ended by someone who can't drive as well as you. Get a 525iT rust bucket for about $1000 and some steel wheels and studded tires, heated seats and you are good to go...
    any way you can keep the suburu? Or get a suburu beater

That car deserves better than the slow death of winter compromises
    thats good advice, the m5 is far too precious for any real winter

unlike the winter i get

My Cars
    14' F150 98 M3 (sold!)
    I bought my car fully intending to never drive it in crappy weather...thats what my F150 is for
    The maintenance, and replacement parts on the M5 are out of sight! Why risk driving it in the winter and getting some idiot that doesn't know how to drive in the snow compromise your car? or subject a 25 year old car to more salt, cinders, rocks, etc.....
    For me, I wanted a bone stock car (BMW engineers are pretty smart folk) and it sits under the car cover in a heated garage. When the weather's nice, then take it out and ruin it!
    BUT....bottom line....they ARE meant to be driven, and they ARE a drivers car.....if it's all you got, there are a hell of a lot worse ways to make the daily commute!

sold ! but will have another someday!