Thread: Info on an M73 engine Please...

My Cars
    f-350, Jeep,

Info on an M73 engine Please...

Hi,

My name is Alex and I'm new here. I am looking at [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]purchasing[/COLOR][/COLOR] an M73 engine out of a 750iL 2001 [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]BMW[/COLOR][/COLOR]... and tranny.

The Price I was quoted was $5200 total for the complete engine and tranny. Is this a [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]reasonable [COLOR=blue! important]price[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] to pay or can I do better?

Also, I would like to find some information on upgrade that can be done to this engine. After some research I found that the motor put out 322-326 hp @ 361 Ft.lbs. This is a reasonable amount of power and will be ok for now. But I would like to be able to push this engine to the 500hp mark and beyond. I was hoping for a max of 700hp in the future.

I know that this could be a pretty Pricey venture and depending on the price I may choose a different engine. I am will to put in about 5K-7K after the motor has been purchased. Honestly it might not be worth it so that why I'm here asking questions... I feel this may be the right place to ask. lol

Please inform me of the various things that can be done with this engine and if I should go with a later model or an earlier M70 model if I plan to do alot to the motor. I was told a Biturbo would probably be better suited for a more robust m70 motor. But I dont know for sure, is this true?

Also what tranny options do I have as far as rebuilding it so it can take the power. Or should I scrap that original tran and buy a different on w. custom adapters to make the fit?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Alex

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Going to cost you a lot more than 5-7k to get those Hp numbers...

My Cars
    '92 850i/6-Euro Wannabe
    What you don't say is what the motor is for. An 8er? If so, big issues right off the bat as it's not OBD1 compatible without mods, and iirc the tranny shifts on the opposite side from the 750.

My Cars
    91-Dinan 850TT
    My opinion only- go with the M70 and forced induction. Much cheaper and no real mods need done on the motor.

My Cars
    420G SPEED 6
    I agree with TX (first time in my life...lol) low compression and turbos is the best and simplest route.
    Its doable just dont go lean or.........POOP! goes the motor

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by smokum View Post
    I agree with TX (first time in my life...lol) low compression and turbos is the best and simplest route.
    Its doable just dont go lean or.........POOP! goes the motor
    ...wrong Tx.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    f-350, Jeep,
    Thanks for al the replys.

The motor is for a replica mercielago. I eithier was going to purchase a salvage titled one or go a head and just build it from the ground up, Frame and all.. I'm not into the streched fiero or mk2. Seems a little unsafe, although it's easier.

Unfortunutly, I have not been able to find a real lambo w/ salvage title. Everyone I find is a scam!... like (www.autosource.biz) if any body knows of a good, legit salvage site, I'd be interested.

On top of that, I had a few quotes on a real lambo motors and got one for 65k, one for 55k and one for 50k... Screw that!

So this is my last option as it seems this is the common path most take w/ this project.

Could someone post up a few links to sites for aftermarket mod on the M70 (since this is the better choice)? Also a link or two to someone else on the forum that has a decent setup that I could talk with?

Thanks,
    Alex

My Cars
    E31, 2nd gen Cummins

Eye Candy

LOL..... try keeping your initial budget after going onto this site

Impossible

http://www.racingpowerplant.com/bmw_m70.htm
    1997 LX450
    1997 BMW 528i for sale

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexvb22 View Post
    Thanks for al the replys.

The motor is for a replica mercielago. I eithier was going to purchase a salvage titled one or go a head and just build it from the ground up, Frame and all.. I'm not into the streched fiero or mk2. Seems a little unsafe, although it's easier.

Unfortunutly, I have not been able to find a real lambo w/ salvage title. Everyone I find is a scam!... like (www.autosource.biz) if any body knows of a good, legit salvage site, I'd be interested.

On top of that, I had a few quotes on a real lambo motors and got one for 65k, one for 55k and one for 50k... Screw that!

So this is my last option as it seems this is the common path most take w/ this project.

Could someone post up a few links to sites for aftermarket mod on the M70 (since this is the better choice)? Also a link or two to someone else on the forum that has a decent setup that I could talk with?

Thanks,
    Alex
    A few things:
    If you try to purchase a salvage titled Lambo you will spend a small fortune repairing it. I know there are stories of people that have repaired Lambos for next to nothing, but even if you did find used parts, they will be expensive (given your self-imposed budget you mentioned). A replica can be nice, but you will also blow your budget just for a decent body kit.
    If you want another option, you can check this out: http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html This is a true performance "replica", but a decent example will run you about $35,000 - $40,000, and that is with alot of your own wrenching.
    As for the mods on an M70, there are a few sites that offer "performance" upgrades to the engine - these range from $12,000 all the way upwards of $55,000 (plus you supply the motor). The cheapest upgrade is a set of performance chips that will boost your HP by about 35-40 with quicker throttle response.
    Bottom line: the BMW V12 is not a "cheap" quick answer to exotic high performance without some serious cash. It takes a bunch of electronics to make this thing run right. If you want to add a Supercharger, there is a fellow in Washington DC that sells a kit . The last I heard it was about $6,000 -$7,000 (plus you provide the motor, and wrench it yourself).
    As you can see: no cheap quick solution to your question.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    koenig ks8 /e31 850c
    Arn't lambo owned by AUDI ? V10 RS6. is more appropiate.
    But if you want to be with bmw V 10 M6.
    635 HP TWIN SUPERCHARGER 232 MPH in 60 seconds. g power
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUBV6xzzLsk&feature=related[/ame]

My Cars
    850 1991
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexvb22 View Post
    Hi,

My name is Alex and I'm new here. I am looking at [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]purchasing[/color][/color] an M73 engine out of a 750iL 2001 [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]BMW[/color][/color]... and tranny.

The Price I was quoted was $5200 total for the complete engine and tranny. Is this a [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]reasonable [COLOR=blue! important]price[/color][/color][/color] to pay or can I do better?

Also, I would like to find some information on upgrade that can be done to this engine. After some research I found that the motor put out 322-326 hp @ 361 Ft.lbs. This is a reasonable amount of power and will be ok for now. But I would like to be able to push this engine to the 500hp mark and beyond. I was hoping for a max of 700hp in the future.

I know that this could be a pretty Pricey venture and depending on the price I may choose a different engine. I am will to put in about 5K-7K after the motor has been purchased. Honestly it might not be worth it so that why I'm here asking questions... I feel this may be the right place to ask. lol

Please inform me of the various things that can be done with this engine and if I should go with a later model or an earlier M70 model if I plan to do alot to the motor. I was told a Biturbo would probably be better suited for a more robust m70 motor. But I dont know for sure, is this true?

Also what tranny options do I have as far as rebuilding it so it can take the power. Or should I scrap that original tran and buy a different on w. custom adapters to make the fit?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Alex
    i can offer a complete engine/tranny/harness/ecu's from a bmw 850 with 45k for 2800$ including the crating fee. shipping will be 400-600 for the pallet.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8
    Quote Originally Posted by LEFT OVER RICE View Post
    LOL..... try keeping your initial budget after going onto this site

Impossible

http://www.racingpowerplant.com/bmw_m70.htm
    Dag I drooled and my wallet cringed!

My Cars
    f-350, Jeep,
    i can offer a complete engine/tranny/harness/ecu's from a bmw 850 with 45k for 2800$ including the crating fee. shipping will be 400-600 for the pallet.
    Interested... Where in Canada are you located? and I'll have to do a little research on what the laws are about bringing one into the states. Is it an M73 or M70? Furthermore, I may be using an Audi 016 tranny.... I don't know if the BMW will actually fit in the rear.

Thanks,
    Alex

TxGR8White:
    Could you PM me with the guys info in DC. I would like to speak with him about the idea of a super charger.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Alexvb22; 05-06-2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Sp

My Cars
    E31, 2nd gen Cummins
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemaman View Post
    I've never heard of a COMPLETE ENGINE/TRANSMISSION/HARNESS/ECU'S from an 850 at that price Maybe the mileage explains why its $2800. Not trying to create any issues, but Alexv, you may want to get all of the information and paperwork about these parts on hand.
    1997 LX450
    1997 BMW 528i for sale

My Cars
    '92 850i/6-Euro Wannabe
    The car that these parts are being offered from is a '91, thus it's an M70.