Thread: Looking For Info. on M73 engine...

My Cars
    f-350, Jeep,

Looking For Info. on M73 engine...

Hi,

My name is Alex and I'm new here. I am looking at purchasing an M73 engine out of a 750iL 2001 BMW... and tranny.

The Price I was quoted was $5200 total for the complete engine and tranny. Is this a reasonable price to pay or can I do better?

Also, I would like to find some information on upgrade that can be done to this engine. After some research I found that the motor put out 322-326 hp @ 361 Ft.lbs. This is a reasonable amount of power and will be ok for now. But I would like to be able to push this engine to the 500hp mark and beyond. I was hoping for a max of 700hp in the future.

I know that this could be a pretty Pricey venture and depending on the price I may choose a different engine. I am will to put in about 5K-7K after the motor has been purchased. Honestly it might not be worth it so that why I'm here asking questions... I feel this may be the right place to ask. lol

Please inform me of the various thing that can be done with this engine and if I should go with a later model or an earlier M70 model if I plan to do alot to the motor. I was told a Biturbo would probably be better suited for a more robust m70 motor. But I dont know for sure, is this true?

Also what tranny options do I have as far as rebuilding it so it can take the power. Or should I scrap that original tran and buy a different on w. custom adapters to make the fit?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Alex

My Cars
    Misc.
    Try to post in the E31 subforum for a technical discussion.

My Cars
    2000 750iL

You could be the first!

I did quite a bit of searching online for M73 mods, since I own one. There is very little out there and my guess is because the combination of VANOS and an engine control system that is locked down tight makes it very hard to do FI on the M73. I have seen twin TC and I believe a SC put on an M70 though. Lots of stuff on the 8-series board.

The good news is that an M70 engine and tranny will be much cheaper. I don't think the price you got was totally ridiculous if the engine & tranny had moderate miles and were in good shape.

WAY smarter people than me, however, have looked into FI on the M73 and it is notable that no one apparently has done it. Of course, that means you could be the first!
    Swordsman
    2000 750iL Orient Blue over Oyster Leather