Thread: paint chip/scratch question

My Cars
    E36 M3/2, 997 Turbo

paint chip/scratch question

What to do to my paint to repair surface scratches and chips. I don't think I have the equipment resources or patience to use the touch up paint I bought a while back. I'd rather have some pros do it. I'd like to regain some of the lustre of my finish.

I saw a place on 11th avenue that said they do concourse detailing. I'm assuming that this is the kind of thing I'd probably need to restore my finish.

Also, I have a clay bar from griot's garage and some fine polish in my closet that I've never used. I think some of the problem is that I have a lot of old wax built up. How do I use the clay bar? With what should I apply the polish? I probably need someone to work on the chips for me, but maybe I can do this in the meantime to help out the swirls on my hood.
    Current:
    1999 e36 M3 coupe Titanium Silver
    2009 997 911 Turbo Meteor Gray
    Gone but not forgotten:
    2007 E92 335i Spacegrau/Coral : RETURNED
    2006 Lotus Elise Polar Blue/Red SOLD
    1997 E36 328is Arctic Silver: SOLD

My Cars
    2003 AW M5
    here's what i suggest ya do russel. Whatever you do though...make sure it doesn't take 6.5 days like it did on my car...LOL

You'll want to remove the current coat of wax (even if there isn't too much left) by washing the car with some mild dishwashing liquid. This'll strip the wax perfectly, clean the car, and wont damage the clearcoat all in one good step. Trust me, it wont hurt anything.....just takes off all the wax.

Anyways, start with the claybar (im assuming that you have the detailer/lubricant that came with it). Pull off about 1/4 chunk of it off the bar..kneed it around and then stretch it into approx a 4inch diameter disc. Spray the lube on (not too much not too little ) and just rub back and forth until the surface becomes smooth. You'll notice all the crap come off and migrate onto the surface of the claybar. When the surface of the CB gets dirty...flip it over...and after that....kneed it again like dough and stretch it out (keep using until it gets filthy or u notice it just isn't picking up the dirt anymore). Be sure to buff off the wet/dripping detailing agent you used.

You'll IMMEDIATELY feel the surface of the paint being in showroom condition. After all this, polish the car with either some 3M hand glaze or Meguiars #7 Showroom Glaze (both avail at pepboys). After done polishing, slap a nice beautiful coat of Blitz or #26 Meguiars Professional series wax on there and you'll be good to go!

I highly recommend the use of yellow flannel clothes instead of terry cloths.....a lot softer and easier to work with (wont leave fine scratches in the paint).

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Cars
    E36 M3/2, 997 Turbo
    Thank you! I'm going to try it on the hood (the worst part). I don't have the lubricant stuff though, and that solves the mystery of what was missing when I got the gift box from my well meaning girlfriend and found a spray top but no bottle to go with it....

I'll see if I can find some anyway before nightfall!
    Current:
    Gone but not forgotten:

My Cars
    2003 AW M5
    just a quick hint.....easy to find stuff too.....just use Meguiars Quik Detailer.....same ish....different smell (well, sorta...LOL )

My Cars
    E36 M3/2, 997 Turbo

Unhappy

Hmm, try as I might, I couldn't buff out whatever seems to have clouded my clearcoat in a few places on my hood.:12: I guess I have no choice now but to bring it to a professional.
    Current:
    Gone but not forgotten:

I am having my hood/grill repainted as we speak. I have too many paint chips in it to fix.
    --
    Aaron
    97 328is