Thread: car turns off while driving, Manual swap gone wrong

My Cars
    1994 E36 325i Sedan

car turns off while driving, Manual swap gone wrong

Previous owner did a manual swap, but instead of doing the smart thing and removing the transmission control digitally, he decided to tear up the wires and splice it. Better yet hes a complete moron and had someone else do it, who "doesnt remember what he did". Now after taking the DME out and putting it back in, one cable is poorly connected, when the DME chamber cover isnt completely screwed in the car wont start. And if you go over road bumps or just experience too much g force the cable sometimes gets loose, leading to the tachometer going to 5k rpm and 0 (car is turning off gauges so it goes to 0rpm, then kicks back up to 3k or whatever i was at).

basically the RPM control (even at idle) is pretty crazy, even while driving sometimes i just have to keep the clutch down so it can rev itself without jerking me back and forth. Im going to buy a manual harness or try every wire for continuity when moving them. Any advice on what cable could be doing it? This all happened on my last ride home after I tuned the car (removed dme) for like the fifth time i think. First day I got the car and tried to tune the DME, I did like with my last E36 and just left the DME outside its chamber to start the engine, but this one needed the cover screwed on for the cable to make contact.
    I assume its one of the EGS (trans computer) cables since the other cables should be "untouched". A new harness is about $300, and idk if its worth it.
    Thanks in advance

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I’d get a new used harness but you try depinning each wire from the plastic trans harness and taping or capping or otherwise terminating each end so there is no touching. I run an auto harness in my manual but just coiled it up and stuffed it in the compartment. Another possibility is a ground - I can’t recall but is there a ground point inside the compartment and if so is it connected securely?

My Cars
    1994 E36 325i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I’d get a new used harness but you try depinning each wire from the plastic trans harness and taping or capping or otherwise terminating each end so there is no touching. I run an auto harness in my manual but just coiled it up and stuffed it in the compartment. Another possibility is a ground - I can’t recall but is there a ground point inside the compartment and if so is it connected securely?
    So I can just throw away the trans computer? I havent tried removing it but if it works with a manual swap then the trans computer should be pointless. Also its running stock m3 chip tune.

My Cars
    1994 E36 325i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    YEP! turns out my DME wasnt grounded properly (why the fuck is the ground point the god damn case, fuckin bmw). Ill buy the DME clips from ebay ($15 fucking dollars for two brass things lmao). You saved me a whole engine harness TYSM!