Thread: E36 spoiler brake light out

My Cars
    2012 MINI S

E36 spoiler brake light out

I was stopped at a light today and a guy told me that the brake light in my factory installed spoiler and one of the taillight assembly brake lights were out. I'm guessing that it's just a bulb in the brake light assembly but what about the spoiler? Could it be out because the other brake light is out? Has anyone had to replace the LED in the spoiler? Expensive?

My Cars
    01 320ci
    I was quoted $250 (australian) from the dealer for a new L.E.D spoiler brake light, so i took the spoiler off couldent find one secondhand or aftermarker. You can get them from www.spoilerlights.com not sure how good they are or how expensive

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    im sure someone will point the direction since i cant remember where i saw it, but i know i have seen replacement lights/led sections for oem spoilers somewhere.

My Cars
    2004 WRX Wagon
    Yes, I just replaced some of the bulbs in my factory M spoiler. First you need to unscrew the two screws holding the whole unit in, from there you should see 3 or 4 screws on the backside holding the whole unit together, with one spot in the middle where a screw is but is covered so that you are not able to open the assembly and replace an individual bulb. I drilled the little cover and screw out, and then could open up the whole thing and just replace the bulbs with some I found at a local parts store.. BTW don't think they are LEDs, just regular incandescent bulbs.. sorry if my write-up is not the most detailed, I know someone else wrote up on how to do this, but definitely don't pay the money to replace the whole strip, thats a major waste..

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    There's a couple of posts about how to fix this...

1. Spend $100 on a new light bar from BavAuto or BMP Design

Or do this...

1. Uncrew the spoiler light strip (2 screws)
    2. Unplug the strip from the spoiler
    3. Notice there are 4 screws on back of the light strip... undo those, but curiously, it won't come apart.
    4. Get a file or a large drill bit... notice in middle of light strip... a circular shape. Get idea... perhaps another screw is under that...
    5. Gently drill out center cap... notice a screw in there... remove
    6. Notice strip now opens up revealing 7-silver bulbs
    7. Goto auto store and buy 8 interior/dash bulbs... 8 because they sell them in 2 packs. Pay $24 to store. Be smug about saving $75.
    8. Replace bulbs
    9. enjoy new lights

10. 2 weeks later notice light strip is out again.... cuss to self
    11. open light strip... notice all 7 lights are burned out.... contemplate paying $100
    12. Go onto EBAY, find white LEDs from EBAY. Like the 10-pack of LEDs for $15 shipped.
    13. Buy and wait one week for LEDs to arrive.
    14. Install into light strip.
    15. 4 months later, enjoy working light bar and still saving $50...

BMW CCA Member 186373 - Golden Gate Chapter
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

Gone: 1995 E36 M3 Arctik Silber, 1996 E36 M3 Cosmos, 1991 E30 318is Cosmos

GimmieSumMo72 is offline That's my BOY!!! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E60 E31 Past: E38 E36
    http://www.spoilerlights.com/servlet...-Center/Detail

That's what I used on my M3 spoiler...

really easy install all you have to do is splice and screw!
    Last edited by GimmieSumMo72; 04-30-2009 at 04:30 PM.
    1991 850i diamantschwarz metallic w/ 2 toned black/light silver grey interior: Mods: 20% Tints, OEM Style 37 rims (Winter), 18" BBS RG-R's Diamond Black (Summer), M3 Style Lip Spoiler, Wokke V2.0 Chips, Magnaflow 14833's, Dinan Performance Transmission Chip, CSi front spoiler, 3000k 35w Fogs, 5000k 55w Lows, Custom Randy/Dinan Suspension, Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Rotors, Goodrich SS Brake Lines

2004 530i schwarz-2: Mods: 20% Tints, Powdercoated Black OEM Style 122's (Winter), LED Fogs & Sidemarkers, Staggared Style 166's, Apexcone 55w 3000k lows, LED 20w Angel Eyes

My Cars
    2012 MINI S
    So, there is no relationship between one of the brake lights being out and the lights in the spoiler being out?

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    The spoiler lights - if out will not trip the OBC and tell you.
    The brake lights - if out, WILL trip the OBC.
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

My Cars
    e36
    Hey LuxoM3, how did you install the LEDS?

I just took my spoiler brake light apart to find 7 burned out bulbs.

I have several LEDS from another project and wonder how you installed them into the brake light holder?

Which side was negative and which side was positive?

Cheers,

Willy

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    Willy - thanks for asking... the LED bulbs just drop right in. They last about 6 months to a year as I commute and brake A LOT.

From what I notice, they aren't polarized, so left/right or vice versa they still work. Key is getting them to stay in their sockets.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    So, there is no relationship between one of the brake lights being out and the lights in the spoiler being out?
    having worked at a dealership I know that sometimes even the OEM light bars are hooked up into one of the existing tail lights. Meaning that if your brake light goes out, then the power normally shared between both will also stop supplying power to the spoiler light. I'd say check the tailight first and start from there.

My Cars
    99 Cosmos M3 Coupe
    When I got my car I noticed when I got home the OE spoiler light on my car had most of the bulbs burnt out. Luckily I got on here and someone had an OEM new one for $50. If you can find one here or ebay go for it, otherwise try the DIY route and just replace the bulbs.

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport

This is correct...

Agreed. If your car originally had the third brake light in the window, and now has the spoiler, chances are it's tapping power from the 3rd brake light... and thus the tail light will be out if the 3rd light is out.

The coupes with spoiler (from what I remember) don't have the 3rd light in the window, but somehow run indy... at least on my 95 it did.

Quote Originally Posted by LockDots84 View Post
    having worked at a dealership I know that sometimes even the OEM light bars are hooked up into one of the existing tail lights. Meaning that if your brake light goes out, then the power normally shared between both will also stop supplying power to the spoiler light. I'd say check the tailight first and start from there.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post
    The coupes with spoiler (from what I remember) don't have the 3rd light in the window, but somehow run indy... at least on my 95 it did.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I THINK if the coupe (or any car for that matter around these years) came with the spoiler from the dealer without it being an added option it didn't have the third brake light as it would have two 3rd brake lights if it did. Most of the times I see a spoiler with a light built into it as well as the third brake light in the rear deck it's almost always aftermarket or added on after the car was manufactured.

My Cars
    06 ZCP M3, 02 M5
    waking up since i'm having this problem -- hope this info is useful, thanks.
    BLUE HEAVEN:
    Interlagos 2006 M3, AutoLogic tune, K&N CAI, Agency Power midpipes and exhaust, Fortune Auto coilovers, ///M Pedal Kit, UUC SSK. MRegistry listing here
    Le Mans 2002 M5, Black/Tech Graphite, Rogue SSK, Dinan exhaust, PSS9 coilovers, Conforti/Shark tune. MRegistry listing here

My Cars
    '97 M3 , '98 540i6,
    I've just spent some time chasing a burnt out spoiler bulb (these are small bulbs, not LEDs) so I thought I'd post this for the next person with this problem who is not willing to pay $80 at the dealership to replace the entire light assembly.
    I've found that Sylvania 2723 ($4.99 for a pack of two) matches the light output and the socket size perfectly.

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Good info, think a bulb or two are out on mine...

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    06 ZCP M3, 02 M5
    Eventually found out my problem was simply that the wires in the connection to light assembly were loose -- put some tape on them and good to go.

Here's full story, check this before you mess with wires or purchase new lights: http://chrisparente.com/2013/04/20/q...r-brake-light/
    BLUE HEAVEN:
    Interlagos 2006 M3, AutoLogic tune, K&N CAI, Agency Power midpipes and exhaust, Fortune Auto coilovers, ///M Pedal Kit, UUC SSK. MRegistry listing here
    Le Mans 2002 M5, Black/Tech Graphite, Rogue SSK, Dinan exhaust, PSS9 coilovers, Conforti/Shark tune. MRegistry listing here

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Thanks for the info......find it really odd that BMW decided to cover that center screw or maybe it somehow was done before someone said something. Will have to be one of those great mysteries. I'm sure there is a story behind it.
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwiz View Post
    im sure someone will point the direction since i cant remember where i saw it, but i know i have seen replacement lights/led sections for oem spoilers somewhere.
    Oreilly, Napa, Autozone, the dollar store... why is it so hard to to just pop the light bar out and go find the bulbs. They are readily available just about everywhere. It's a stupid easy job.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwiz View Post
    Brett is right - they're literally just at the corner store.

Don't get LEDs - they look terrible and because of the way the light is wired you'll have a hard time even making it work. But even if you do, they still look terrible.

There are something like 4 Phillips screws. Take one of the little lights to the counter and they'll sell you a pack of replacements.