Thread: noise while turning.

My Cars
    e21 & zo6 & hummer

noise while turning.

make a tight left turn at slow speed i hear a rough sound coming from what i think is the left rear wheel. it almost sounds like metal rubbing. any thoughts???

My Cars
    E46 M3 6MT
    Noises are difficult to track down. Wheel bearing perhaps? Mileage on your car?

My Cars
    ///M ustang
    Maybe this? I had a rubbing noise and the dealer changed the diff fluid, all fixed.

SIB 33 01 02 applicable to the E46 M3 addresses the situation of a grinding noise coming from the differential during slow cornering. This noise is best heard during tight cornering situations for example parallel parking, driving in a tight circle, etc.
    The correction is the differential oil should be replaced with specially formulated differential oil, P/N 83 22 2 282 583, SAF-XJ plus FM Booster.

SI B33 01 02
    Rear Axle December 2003
    Service Engineering
    This Service Information bulletins supersedes S.I. B33 01 02 dated June 2002.
    SUBJECT
    Grinding Noise from Differential During Slow Cornering
    MODEL
    E46 M3 from start of production through December 2003
    SITUATION
    A grinding noise may be heard coming from the differential during slow cornering.
    This noise is best heard during tight cornering situations for example parallel parking, driving in a tight circle, etc.
    CAUSE
    When the rear wheel speed differential varies during tight cornering, a slip stick effect is created on the lining and steel discs incorporated in the differential locking clutch causing a grinding noise.
    This noise typically goes away as the locking clutch discs in the differential break in.
    Break in time varies depending on driving habits, for example more tight cornering (working the locking clutch) = less time for breaking in the locking clutch discs.
    CORRECTION
    If a customer complaint is verified as described above on E46 M3 vehicles, the differential oil should be replaced with specially formulated differential oil, BMW part number 83 22 2 282 583.
    PROCEDURE
    1. Drain differential oil. See E46 M3 repair manual, group 33, section 00 11 259.
    2. Refill differential with special differential oil as shown in the illustration below.
    Differential fill capacity = 1.2 liters (1.3 quarts).
    3. Road test the vehicle.
    With the vehicle at operating temperature, drive in tight circles (20 circles in each direction) allowing the special oil to coat the locking clutch discs.
    The grinding noise will be eliminated when the locking clutch discs are sufficiently coated.
    Note: Vehicles that have had the differential oil converted to this special oil should continue to have this oil utilized whenever a service requiring differential oil replacement is indicated.
    PARTS INFORMATION
    Part Number: 83 22 2 282 583
    Description: Special differential oil kit
    Contains 3 bottles - .5 liters (.53 quarts) each
    bottle (order quantity 1 rounds to 3 bottles)
    WARRANTY INFORMATION
    Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
    Defect Code
    33 10 92 39 00
    Replace differential oil with special oil
    FOR THE CHILDREN!!!

My Cars
    '03 E46 M3 SMG
    Yup, just like ecrouse said above. It's the diff fluid. I had it changed twice before the "growling" sound went away.

My Cars
    2003 M3
    I had the same issue. There's some additive for the diff which takes care of that sound.