Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the M3 world, couple of oddities

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39

New to the M3 world, couple oddities

Just picked up a 95 M3, with 63k miles but it's got a couple quirks I havent tracked down.

Sometimes when I drop down to idle, the radio (aftermarket sony) cuts out, it's so fast it's hard to tell exact cause, but I notice the rpm's did drop lower than normal for a second. I wasnt sure if this was just a poor radio (receiption sucks, AM is horrible) or maybe the alternator is going out.

2nd, for some reason the warning blinkers flashed as if the hazard light switch had been pressed, this only happined twice, I've been unable to get this to repeat.

It pulls nicely, around 3k rpm it gets a kick in the pants, but the low rpm under load it feels rough, this normal? I can feel it through the pedals, still pulls nicely though. Quite a difference from my two e30's, they both have a very even pull from idle, very smooth, the M3 is rough below 3k rpm's.

Sure love the car, here's a few pics of it, it's got 63k miles on it, I'm debaiting letting the dealer do the level 2 service, they want 700 $ for it, I did the plugs last night anyway, no faults on the computer, shocks/springs are 2k miles old

http://216.130.145.21/pics/M3/index.html

Dunno how the squirl pics got in there, he's the current tree champ, quite entertaining watching them fight and fall 20' off the tree, they really go at it!

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    OOps, this should be in the E36 forum, can a mod move it for me?

My Cars
    2002 M3 SMG Carbon Black

Mods: TCK d/a Coilovers, RG4 Monolites wrapped in 273/30/19 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan 3.91 LSD, Dinan Rear Strut Brace, Turner Rear Sub-Frame Reinforcement Kit, Brembo GT 4 Wheel Kit.

reaktorcorps...since last thursday
    The Photography of Chad Spector

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    I didnt want to double post sense I did it here by accident first, unless mods dont like to move threads I will start a new thread on the right forum.

L8r mega

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39

New to the M3 world, couple of oddities

Just picked up a 95 M3, with 63k miles but it's got a couple quirks I havent tracked down.

Sometimes when I drop down to idle, the radio (aftermarket sony) cuts out, it's so fast it's hard to tell exact cause, but I notice the rpm's did drop lower than normal for a second. I wasnt sure if this was just a poor radio (receiption sucks, AM is horrible) or maybe the alternator is going out.

2nd, for some reason the warning blinkers flashed as if the hazard light switch had been pressed, this only happined twice, I've been unable to get this to repeat.

It pulls nicely, around 3k rpm it gets a kick in the pants, but the low rpm under load it feels rough, this normal? I can feel it through the pedals, still pulls nicely though. Quite a difference from my two e30's, they both have a very even pull from idle, very smooth, the M3 is rough below 3k rpm's.

Sure love the car, here's a few pics of it, it's got 63k miles on it, I'm debaiting letting the dealer do the level 2 service, they want 700 $ for it, I did the plugs last night anyway, no faults on the computer, shocks/springs are 2k miles old

http://216.130.145.21/pics/M3/index.html

Dunno how the squirl pics got in there, he's the current tree champ, quite entertaining watching them fight and fall 20' off the tree, they really go at it!

My Cars
    08 M6 Coupe
    Congrats!!!

Don't know the answers to your problems.

Nice rims

My Cars
    mostly BMWs
    It sounds like it could be your battery, I'm guessing here. The roughness at low RPMs, the stereo cut out, etc. I would first check your battery to see it is okay, the best battery will only last 60 months and if yours is stock, it is past due. The other thing could be the way your stereo is wired. The hazards thing, it all sounds like battery and stereo "jury rigging".

You should really get the Inspection II though. From the pics, it looks like you have the older style water pump with the plastic impellors. That needs to be upgraded to the 96+ unit ASAP. Also, check in your area for a decent BMW or European car shop. The dealer can be a hassle older cars and just end up raping you. Independent shops are the way to go IMHO, they will tell you what you need to know. The dealer can have a tendency to tell you anything that makes you spend more money. Good luck and welcome to the E36 M3 club, these cars ROCK!!!!!

My Cars
    M3
    I read this over in the E46 M3 section and just wanted to tell you how lucky you are.
    I was told by AA, that the 95 M3 is the most moddable M3 made to date

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    It's got the new metal waterpump, got receipts for everything, he put another plastic housing for the thermostat on though!!

I was thinking of having an independent shop check everything out, sense I did the plugs, and I'm doing the microfilter

anybody know a good shop south of atlanta?

I got the 95 because it's moddable, I cant decide though, the 2500 $ NA mods, or just spend 4500 for SC

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    On the idle, it does idle very smooth, but every once and a while it drops lower than it should, like maybe once every 30 min of driving in stop/go traffic.

My Cars
    '01 M Roadster
    Sorry, just got home, I'll move it for you.

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    Just checked the battery, it appears to be original, all in german, cant really find a date punch like I expected to see.

I'll replace the battery and see if that fixes the problems, If I unhook the battery overnight, will it reset everything on the E36? I know on my E30, unhooking the battery overnight will reset everything, all my electrical glitches went away instantly and never returned on my 325i cab. I wasnt sure if this is possible with the 95 M3, or if it was recomended.

Thanks for the help..

L8r mega

My Cars
    E36
    looks like a super clean interior for a 95! nice car

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    I don't think there's any magic to the scheduled Inspections that are recommended by BMW. Most service items can be done yourself with a little bit of help from Bentley, bimmerforums, Suzy's Digest, and some of the already written tech procedures such as on logun, racepad.com, and ron stygar's site.

As to the radio cutting off, early E36's have had issues with hunting idle, solved by some replacable components that affect your vacuum system and software changes. Could be that the hunting idle drops far enough on your car to cause the radio to cut off.
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    95 Alpine White ///M3
    how did you find one with only 63k on it?

motor looks clean!
    ///M3 Cc#65
    95 M3 Alpine White Acquired 6/17/03
    Cosmos Racing 3.5" CAI / AA Stage II Euro HFM Kit / UUC Stage II Flywheel / M5 Clutch / AA Gen III Exhaust / Bilstein + Eibach Prokit / OEM X-Brace / AA Strut Brace / ZKW + OEM M5 Projectors / Philips 85123 upgrade

97 Integra LS-Turbo Sold 6/14/03
    10 psi of boost

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    Is that a 3.5" HFM on already?
    Dakar 95 M3 (4/95 manufacture)
    Techno Violet 97 M3 (12/96 manufacture)
    Alpine White 16 535i M-Sport (10/15 manufacture)

My Cars
    '99 M3
    You really should look into getting a heatshield for that intake too. That filter exposed to all that heat is probably not increasing your performance much and may actually be hurting it.

As for the intermittent dip in idle that you describe, apparently that is a pretty common occurence on these cars, mine also does the same thing from time to time. Sometimes, but very rarely it dips so low that it makes the whole car tremble and comes back up to normal idle speed just before it has a chance to stall. It may be a faulty Idle Air Control valve, or perhaps it just needs a good cleaning.
    '99 ///M3 13.766 @ 100.12
    Gruppe M style CF intake, Eisenmann Race exhaust, Kosei K1's, Motorsport side molding badges, Rieger gt cup front spoiler, OEM ///M5 trunk lip spoiler, 6000k HID+Predator Chromium angel eyes w/parking light delete, Bilstein Sport struts/shocks, Eibach springs, Rogue Engineering RSM's

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Looks like a nicely kept car

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    The intake is filthy, I think I'm going to buy a whole new one with heat sheild.

I'm not sure if it's a 3.5" HFM I'm going to measure it this weekend, is there any indication or partnumber on the outside that would tell me?

The previous owner took extreemly good care of it, half the people I work with thought it was brand new from the rear & inside, they cant tell the difference between models.

I will be doing most of the level II service myself, sense there's no error codes, this is my 3rd bmw, but first M3, done timingbelts on the E30's but nothing more complicated than that. I dont think I'm ever gonna switch brands, I do love the 3 series!

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 1966 Mustang 2+2 - 2003 Z4
    Originally posted by ///M3CosmosJoe
    From the pics, it looks like you have the older style water pump with the plastic impellors. That needs to be upgraded to the 96+ unit ASAP.
    #1) It is impossible to tell which impeller an E36 waterpump has without removing it from the block
    #2) BMW used the crappy plastic impellers until early '97
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:
    Stromung|UUC|Eurosport|Hawk|H&R|Koni|Apexcone HID|Short Shift Kits|and more
    UUC Evo3 SSKs are IN STOCK - free 2-Day shipping!

My Cars
    11 328ix, 08 Q7, 93 Ty
    Very nice find welcome aboard and good luck with it.:

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Originally posted by MegaDeTH
    anybody know a good shop south of atlanta?
    Go to www.cartalk.com, click on "mechan-x files" under "actual car information". Put in your zipcode and choose one with some good reviews.
    Drew | Dinomite.net
    1997 Boston Green ///M3 Coupe Lightweight wheels, non-luxury, no sunroof.
    1994 Volvo 940 Race Wagon

My Cars
    Originally posted by frayed
    early E36's have had issues with hunting idle, solved by some replacable components that affect your vacuum system...
    Which components are these? I'd like to investigate this, as my idle surges, then ebbs, as I decelerate to a stop or near-stop sometimes.

My Cars
    m3
    Am i the only one who thinks the car was repainted? As far as in know BMW never painted the rear "deffuser"?

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 1966 Mustang 2+2 - 2003 Z4
    Lots of folks have those painted to match, doesn't mean the whole car was repainted.
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:
    Stromung|UUC|Eurosport|Hawk|H&R|Koni|Apexcone HID|Short Shift Kits|and more
    UUC Evo3 SSKs are IN STOCK - free 2-Day shipping!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast