Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Journal: M54 Head Gasket Replacement & Other Stuff Too

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Quote Originally Posted by allgoodsystems View Post
    I guess 5 is my lucky number. Took all the gears off and started from scratch. Results came out perfect this time. Thanks for your help. Time to fire this thing up today.

She fired right up. What a relief.
    I was getting worried. It had been a few days. What did you do different this time around?

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by allgoodsystems View Post
    I guess 5 is my lucky number. Took all the gears off and started from scratch. Results came out perfect this time. Thanks for your help. Time to fire this thing up today.

She fired right up. What a relief.
    Allgood-
    Where did you buy all your tools?
    Same places as JackCat?
    How is the car running?
    Video?

Jackcat-
    What was the problem you had to fix?
    Any new video's?

Thanks!
    Jason

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    Jackcat-
    What was the problem you had to fix?
    Any new video's?
    Due to my stupidity, I accidentally torqued the first stud closest to the water pump on the intake too much. It must have gone through the water jacket partially. This in turn caused coolant to come up through the treads, and bled into the front 2 cylinders. Believe it or not there are some engine that are built with studs going into coolant passages and sealed like this. For me it's just another thing to keep an eye on.

On Monday the intake was removed to pull the stud. From there it was coated with hi-temp Lotite thread sealant. Reassembled. Finally took her for a test drive last night. No leaking coolant was found after testing.

This is porbably a bit excessive on the amount of thread sealant. I'm a bit nervous with this leak. The directions say to let it cure for 4 hours to 4 days. I'll wait the 4 days.

Missed a vacuum hose last time around.

Also been getting a MAF code on start ups. This is the next hurdle.

Going to probably replace the fuel injectors after the MAF issue, with new ones. This could be slightly related or not. They do wear out. Plus they have been updated with a new part. I'm very curious to see the difference. The same engine in my Z4 ( a year newer ) has a different color injector
    Last edited by Jackcat559; 06-30-2009 at 05:27 PM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Correct!
    The injectors are the new Bosch III design injectors.
    Let me know where to find them.
    I have been looking for them for a while now.

Thanks!
    Jason

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    Thanks for posting about the problem with the stud going through like that---my old FE Ford engines I used to build (427 side oilers) would have a couple of threads that needed coating just the same way to keep them from leaking. When I pull my intake
    you just have shown me and numrous others of what to watch out for.

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    Correct!
    The injectors are the new Bosch III design injectors.
    Let me know where to find them.
    I have been looking for them for a while now.

Thanks!
    Jason
    I'm excited to see those. Unfortunately it looks like the dealer & bavauto are the only ones carrying the new part number. Those puppies are in the neighborhood of $125 each, ouch!

Did a bit of reading last night in the Bentley. Found out that when I installed the new throttle body the adaptation values need to be reprogrammed with a GT1 computer. To the dealer we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolman View Post
    Thanks for posting about the problem with the stud going through like that---my old FE Ford engines I used to build (427 side oilers) would have a couple of threads that needed coating just the same way to keep them from leaking. When I pull my intake
    you just have shown me and numerous others of what to watch out for.
    It may be a little embarrassing posting something like what I did, but maybe it could happen to someone else if I didn't. Funny thing was I had no idea there were studs like this. Until maybe a week before a buddy down the street casually mentioned it in conversation. If he hadn't, I probably would have cried on the spot when I first saw the leak.
    Last edited by Jackcat559; 06-30-2009 at 05:24 PM.

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Well I spent the weekend at the hospital, GBMC, due to a minor heart attack on Friday morning. While I was away a new MAF showed up. Too bad I'm not allowed to install it, or drive right now. It might be a few more days before I'm even allowed to take the steps in the house more than once a day.

Also I have an odd start up issue. The rpm's bounce during start up. Popped a new throttle body in while rebuilding the intake manifold. There's a note in the Bentley manual about the adaptation values needing to be reset when the throttle body is replace with a new part. The car drives fine. One of the techs here from FL kinda confirmed this. Maybe I can guilt the wife into taking it up to have the parameters reset

Last edited by Jackcat559; 06-29-2009 at 07:21 PM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Man, I hope you are OK!
    Are you going to be OK?

God bless!
    Jason

My Cars
    Sorry to here that, hopefully you will be fine.

Junaid

My Cars
    None
    get well soon!

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Thanks Fellas. I should be OK. So far all the tests are comming back negative, and are with in range. Which is to say there's nothing damaged or wrong with the heart. They haven't determined what actually caused it. I'm on the side of genetics. My grandfather had one at the exact same age in the 1950's. Strange, eh?

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    Hope all is well --had chest pains a few years back--did all the checks including the dye test up in the heart--was fine--turned out to be gall bladder that didn't show up again till a few years later--hope your OK.

My Cars
    Blown 530
    I've heard a bunch of potential causes, but nothing to point the finger at, yet. Iron is a bit high, I could loose 15 lbs, genetics, cholesterol is a tad off.... Nothing crazy.

Just came back from the stress test. I was able to go above the standard goal, and crush it. Hopefully in the next day or two, the doctors will let me go back to a normal physical regiment.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Brother, glad to hear you are okay.

Please. Please heed the warning...this heart attack was a CEL. If you feel like you could lose 15 pounds, then lose 25lbs. Please buy some New Balance sneakers and wear them out with long miles of happy walks. Whatever your diet is, change it 80% and pull a rabbit...eat like one. Heart disease is serious shit. Defeat your genetics with science, technology and some good old fashioned sweat.

And yes, may The Force be with you!

"I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Yep this is some real 'check and balancing' going on with this type of event. I gained weight and slowed down on the work outs for a few years until I switched careers. Recently (6-8 months ) I've been getting back into shape with a better diet & work outs. I lost 20 lbs, cholesterol down by 70 points, stressful job is gone...

My wife said to me today she would get the kid down the street to mow the lawn. She laughed when I said " keep him away from the cars " . She remarked " What about keeping him from me " as she turned the corner in her bathing suit. " Oh my heart. I can't take it" I exclaimed.

This heart deal may get milked for a while.

My Cars
    '84 e30 318i
    rofl! good luck with your health buddy! bet you're dying to drive the car!
    Quote Originally Posted by volodka1985 View Post
    I have a manual I6 e39 and it's a great car but sometimes when i need to accelerate fast and it doesn't( cause it can't) i just wanna slow down, pull over, open the hood and shoot the poor bastard in it's inline 6 heart....

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Update: The doctors have released me to go back to normal duty . I start work again on Monday .

But for now it's time to work on the car! Took her up the the dealership to have the adaptations values reset in an effort to get rid of that stumble on start up. There is also a trouble code thrown for the MAF. It didn't work, and they really didn't know why it was doing this. They would of course gladly spend some time trying to figure it out, for some more money. This is the last resort. The manual recommends resetting the adaptation values with a new throttle body. Which I did put in when the intake manifold was rebuilt, so it wasn't a wasted trip. She did of course cause a little stir with the staff. People like shiny wheels and superchargers.

Pulled out the Bentley manual and went to work with some of the trouble shooting procedures.

Had a good ground wire to the throttle body.

No DC voltage. Even went from terminal to terminal with no luck.

Checked fuses in the electrical box. The negative value comes from testing DC voltage, and having the test probes backwards. Black should be the ground in this case.

Checked the relay for voltage and ground back to the ECM. Everything looks good. That blue plastic box by the meter is the ECM relay.

Going to try and trace the power wire back to the ECM from the MAF connector tomorrow, hopefully. The car will run now. There is a backup system that works on the throttle body position sensor & engine rpm. This 'saftey feature' (let's say) can cause a lean or rich air/fuel mixture.
    Last edited by Jackcat559; 07-02-2009 at 08:24 PM.

My Cars
    Blown 530
    I haven't had time to track down the wiring issues yet, due to the 4th of July holiday. Though the first 2 new style fuel injectors were ordered @ $93 each from Russel BMW (local dealer). The best on-line price came in at $133 from BavAuto, or Pelican.

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    I just noticed...you're using an aftermarket MAF....get an OEM. That thing is nothing but problems trust me.
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

My Cars
    Blown 530
    It's OEM. Here's a pic of the old and new MAF together. The numbers match. The new one (left) was installed a few days ago, and has not yielded a change in status.

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackcat559 View Post
    It's OEM. Here's a pic of the old and new MAF together. The numbers match. The new one (left) was installed a few days ago, and has not yielded a change in status.

I've seen that VDO one fail 100x's. I don't know why, but the BMW one with the sticker does the job.

Hook up the MAF, back probe the maf at idle and get the Voltage readings from it. LMK what you see.
    Last edited by JackEatsEmoKids; 07-04-2009 at 11:31 AM.
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

My Cars
    Blown 530
    hmmm, got to figure out how to set the probes with the MAF connected

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    Aren't both maf's from Seimans--not VDO? I'm running the Semains maf I bought from
    Jared with no problems--mines not sc'ed though.

My Cars
    Blown 530
    I do not believe it's the MAF part itself. Both are Siemens, with all the same info printed on them. It was working before this whole procedure with the gasket started. The info found with testing is leading me to believe that either there is a problem with the wire to the MAF, or power from the ECM itself. If I could find out witch wire or pin at the ECM goes to the MAF would help immensely. Other wise I have to trace from the MAF back to the ECM.

I got the new MAF just because the original old one was well, very old. I still have itl because it never really failed. Also, one day someone may need to be bailed out in a pinch.

Edit: I just borrowed a MAF from the e39 across the street. No change in status.
    Last edited by Jackcat559; 07-05-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Blown 530
    I haven't spent much time on the project this week. The only thing that really happened was that the first 2 of 6 new style injectors came in. Think I have spent too much time at the parts counter. The guy behind the counter said normal price is $120 something, and your price is $93 ea. Plus they know me by name when I come in. Kinda like the Cheers of parts counters. No beer, just parts

The new injectors have a metal body. Which is a little more comforting than the original plastic construction.

Jets are positioned to shoot down the intake runners toward the head.

Update: I dumped the idea of totally new injectors, and will send to originals the Marren Fuel Injection service for flow testing & balancing
    Last edited by Jackcat559; 01-24-2010 at 04:18 AM.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast