Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920

Thread: Journal: M54 Head Gasket Replacement & Other Stuff Too

My Cars
    2005 X3 2.5
    Hey Jackcat,
    I'm having trouble timing my m54 and I was hoping you could get me going in the right direction. when I get to the point where I turn [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue ! important]the [COLOR=blue ! important]engine[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] over 2 times the primary chain moves first about 1/2" or so before the other chain moves therefore when I stop at [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]TDC[/COLOR][/COLOR] the cams are not where they are supposed to be. is this due to not having enough pressure on the primary chain?. I am getting frustrated and not sure what to do from here. Please Help
    Thanks in advance
    Jwoodman

My Cars
    2005 X3 2.5
    Hey Jackcat,
    I am having trouble timing my M54. when I get to the point where you are to turn [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue ! important]the [COLOR=blue ! important]engine[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] over 2 times the primary chain moves first about 1/2" or so before the other chain moves therefore when I stop at [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]TDC[/COLOR][/COLOR] the cams are not where they are supposed to be. does this mean that I dont have enough tension on the primary chain? do I need to tighten it more? I'm worried that if I tighten down to much I might break the chain guide. I dont know where to go from here. Please Help
    Thanks in advance
    Jwoodman

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Do you have the propper timing tools, an INCH/Lb torque wrench, and a Bentley manual?

My Cars
    92 328iFI, 02 325iT, 00 528iT
    Are the tools available for rent right now?

Thanks

Ryan
    Ryan
    92 328i TCD TrackTurbo stage 1
    02 325iT SportWagon
    00 528iT SportWagon

My Cars
    Blown 530
    They are somewhere in Seattle at the moment. They might be back in the next few weeks.

They are rented out with a full replacement amount deposit made to PayPal. From which shipping charges and $59 are deducted. When all the tools are received back in as rented condition, the remaining balance is sent back.

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Had some suspension damage due to the rear, upper shock mounts failing. Funny enough it happened two days after I ordered up an entiely new setup. The old shock, struts and springs are in good condition (I'll start a for sale thread later). It was just too low for me.

the old on the left, and the new on the right. Specific tire pressures and alingment stteings were also in the big box

camber plates

My Cars
    well please put me on the list for next and let me know when they return. If you need a deposit to ensure my spot let me know. I understand the rental rate and procedure. I did same with the rear bushing tool rental on my old E39 touring. I have the head already back from the machine shop and will be bolting it up sometime this weekend. Thanks.
    Ryan
    02 325iT SportWagon
    00 528iT SportWagon

My Cars
    Blown 530
    OK

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Picked up a new rear bumper from http://www.getbmwparts.com/ today. They are local, and made an offer to save on a massive freight shipping cost, due to size, to pick it up at BMW of Silver Spring. Which I did.

My Cars
    2001 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by Specter325 View Post
    well please put me on the list for next and let me know when they return. If you need a deposit to ensure my spot let me know. I understand the rental rate and procedure. I did same with the rear bushing tool rental on my old E39 touring. I have the head already back from the machine shop and will be bolting it up sometime this weekend. Thanks.
    Id also like to rent the timing tools (probably end of august/sept ish?) by the time i get the head taken off and get it back from shop). Just planning everything right now. Could you let me know when they are back from Ryan?

Thanks!

- Peter

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Just waiting for a reply, to a PM to Specter325 ,on the next rental. Most people seem to have have them for 5-6 weeks, including shipping back and forth.

They are rented for $50 for 30 days, less shipping, and a full PayPal deposit of $400. Fees are deducted for the deposit

My Cars
    2001 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackcat559 View Post
    Just waiting for a reply, to a PM to Specter325 ,on the next rental. Most people seem to have have them for 5-6 weeks, including shipping back and forth.

They are rented for $50 for 30 days, less shipping, and a full PayPal deposit of $400. Fees are deducted for the deposit
    Sounds great. I cant wait to get back my compression numbers to what they should be (some as low as 60). Its eating a lot of oil, bad gas mileage and some coolant is disapearing dispite a coolant leak test passing 100%. Im just praying that my block isnt warped / cyl walls arnt scratched up and its just burnt valves and a bad gasket.

Between the Bentley manual and your thread here I think ive got all the info I need!

My Cars
    Blown 530
    added a new strut bar

stage 3 camber plates. Whis I could find a part number for the caps that go over the strut towers

out with the old

saw this on my Pop's 535, and ordered one up

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackcat559 View Post

I was wondering if it was available now, if so I would love to get on the list for it and rent it, thank you.

My Cars
    Blown 530
    The present renter will have them for another week or two probably. There isn't anyone else waiting for them. If you like you can have them next.

Where are you located?
    Last edited by Jackcat559; 10-15-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Well hello again, life has returned to the measured kaos it usually is. I have returned the head to it's rightful place on the block and none of the threads stripped. Intake is on and the exhaust is next. Found a torn motor mount while working on the exhaust.

Fun.
    Ryan
    02 325iT SportWagon
    00 528iT SportWagon

My Cars
    2007 525i
    I want to thank Jackcat for posting this thread way back when. I've been working on import cars more or less as a hobby for 30+ years and have just recently pulled the head on my first BMW (done many Mercedes) on an 07 X5 3.0i. Nothing to it really. Thanks again for the thread.

My Cars
    2007 525i
    Got everything buttoned up through the VANOS and did not feel comfortable with it. Disassembled the double VANOS assembly, removed the cams/chain and found the cam sprockets one tooth off. Glad I had that feeling. Will start fresh with the re-assembly over next few days.

Going to be slow on this one. It was brought in with the intake already off and all the parts in the trunk.
    Last edited by engatwork; 02-09-2014 at 04:46 PM.

My Cars
    2007 525i
    Started it up and it ran momentarily. I have one of the cables from the harness under the intake not connected properly because I am coming up with one cable short. I used blue masking tape and a Sharpie to label the connections and unfortunately on a few of them the ink disappeared. I am coming up short one cable for devices to hook to. May have to pull intake back off.

My Cars
    2007 525i
    Got it somewhat sorted out. Seems I had the idle controller connector plugged into the port for the cam sensor. Another item I found was the fact that I had not tightened the fastener that holds the crank position sensor in and was not seeing the crankshaft position as it should have been doing. Resolved those items and it started right up. I have driven it about 60 miles so far and it does seem to be getting better. I followed the Beisan Vanos repair procedure. Right now, cold start performance is poor with a "swinging" idle. The vehicle has been sitting up with a dead battery for about 6 months. Plugs looked pretty tired and I may have an intake leak somewhere.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920