Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to identify M60: B30 VS B40

My Cars
    e36 ///m
    4,700 is the lowest he would go.

1998 M3 @robocho

My Cars
    1995 530i
    I was given a 95 530i that the guy said had the m60 b30 engine that it came with replaced with an m60 from a 740i. Everything I have found says the 740i's only came with a 4L version. The clut needs to be replaced but I want to verify that it is the 4L engine so that i get the right parts. What i saw on the block near cyl 3 was nothing like what I read should be there and was very difficult to get to. So how can I be positive which engine I have?

My Cars
    '92 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by EmperorK1 View Post
    I was given a 95 530i that the guy said had the m60 b30 engine that it came with replaced with an m60 from a 740i. Everything I have found says the 740i's only came with a 4L version. The clut needs to be replaced but I want to verify that it is the 4L engine so that i get the right parts. What i saw on the block near cyl 3 was nothing like what I read should be there and was very difficult to get to. So how can I be positive which engine I have?
    Ignoring the fact that this is a 13 year old thread, from what I have read on what I could find, the block should have a part number on the right side of it. With that, you can look it up and confirm what you have.

Also, this might be useful: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...l-Block-Number

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12